Timing

Old Mar 9th 2015, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

cow biscuits is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Timing

Hello All

I have been reading the threads on here for about 9 months ever since we decided to move back to the UK from the Caribbean after 10 years.

We have not decided on exact departure dates or handed our notice in yet but we need to be there, with a house rental (including buying furniture, bedding etc), a car or two and a bit of familiarity with the area we have chosen by 1 September when the kids start school. Jobs will come when they come, we can live for 6 month or more without if we have to but the sooner the better of course.

I would prefer to arrive mid-July at the latest but husband wants to leave it to sometime in August but I think that is too tight: what if we don't find a rental right away? Staying with family is not an option.

What I am trying to gauge is typically how long does it take once you have found a property to rent to actually moving in as I expect references and utilities and signing contracts can take a week or more plus then getting furniture ordered and delivered etc. Once we have a better idea we can count backwards from 1 Sept.

We will need to sell our house here so departure date will be influenced by that as well but think we have a good idea when to put it on the market relative to when we want to leave.

Sorry if that is a bit rambling, so many things to think about and this is just one piece of the puzzle. Thanks
Old Mar 9th 2015, 8:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Timing

Where in the UK? ..... IMO you are correct. With children and schools to consider, I wouldn't arrive later than mid-July. Two months ahead would be better.
Old Mar 9th 2015, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Pulaski thanks, we are moving to Chippenham in Wiltshire - an area we have not lived in before but within half an hour of family and well placed to work in Bristol, Bath or Swindon. Should hear about school place for one child just after Easter and the other a few weeks after that then we will definitely know schools at least and can focus house search around that. Already signed up for alerts on Rightmove and Zoopla to see what is out there and husband is going over next month so might be able to start the ball rolling with agents on checks etc.

Also need bank account, hoping to transfer Nationwide International to Nationwide UK or at least be introduced. I just know that for each of the things we need to do (car, insurance, furniture, bank account, mobile phone, utilities, etc etc ) could take a day each at least especially with the kids in tow and I am mindful of wanting them to settle in before school starts and take them on days out to as that will essentially be our holiday this year. Nothing like being dragged around doing 'boring' things to put them off a place is there? Might look for a summer camp for a few days for them.

I know where husband is coming from on working an extra month but on balance do not think it is worth the stress if we can afford not to.

To be honest I would leave today if I could, earliest we could come is first week in July once the kids have finished school and that is another reason I would like to come earlier that way they could spend some time at their new school as they finish third week in July.
Old Mar 9th 2015, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Could you look at rentals online and if you find one you like ask a family to look at it for you? or failing that look into places like vrbo.com. people rent homes fully furnished, might be bit expensive but everything usually included - utilities etc. Or look at long term stay hotels that maybe have kitchenette? These are only suggestions in case you don't find rental beforehand. Good luck.
Old Mar 9th 2015, 10:15 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cow biscuits
Hello All

I have been reading the threads on here for about 9 months ever since we decided to move back to the UK from the Caribbean after 10 years.

We have not decided on exact departure dates or handed our notice in yet but we need to be there, with a house rental (including buying furniture, bedding etc), a car or two and a bit of familiarity with the area we have chosen by 1 September when the kids start school. Jobs will come when they come, we can live for 6 month or more without if we have to but the sooner the better of course.

I would prefer to arrive mid-July at the latest but husband wants to leave it to sometime in August but I think that is too tight: what if we don't find a rental right away? Staying with family is not an option.

What I am trying to gauge is typically how long does it take once you have found a property to rent to actually moving in as I expect references and utilities and signing contracts can take a week or more plus then getting furniture ordered and delivered etc. Once we have a better idea we can count backwards from 1 Sept.

We will need to sell our house here so departure date will be influenced by that as well but think we have a good idea when to put it on the market relative to when we want to leave.

Sorry if that is a bit rambling, so many things to think about and this is just one piece of the puzzle. Thanks
When I came back in 2006, I spent a couple of days getting my bearings, then travelled straight to where I had my new job (South Wales). Rented a holiday cottage for 1 week, dod house viewings in the first two days, decided which one to pursue, signed contracts and paid deposits, and was in the following week. So, just over one week total. My belongings arrived the following week, so all in all I had my new (rented) home, furnished with my (shipped from the US) furnishings, within about 10 days.

It can be done, especially these days with Rightmove, international call plans, etc.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Fulwood & Dunroving thanks

Had thought about a holiday let have two that I have looked into in case we need one. Will search vrbo too thanks.

Family could go and look at rentals. We need to check on how we lease from afar as we would still be the tenant, hopefully husband can get all the info when we speaks with a few agents when he is there next month, shame it is too early for him to actually secure a place then although it is almost worth paying rent for 2-3 months and not living there to have that certainty. Good to know that 2 weeks from looking to moving in is not unrealistic.

Furnished would be infinitely better but all the ones we have viewed online are unfurnished but you never know one might come up. I also have made 'shopping' lists on several sites of the furniture/bedding/household things that we need to take advantage of online ordering/next day delivery to save trawling round the shops - that bit was quite fun!

Hmm 2 weeks for shipping will need to research that, when we moved out it was supposed to be 6 weeks and ended up being more like 10 and some boxes were missing, our shippers were awful. Would hate to plan for 2 and then be in a panic because we had nothing to sit or sleep on. Will start to get a few quotes and see if I can find anyone who has moved from here to the UK and their experience of shipping time.

OK will look into these things, glad we have some time, would not like to have to do it all in a rush as some people do when their permit is up, at least this is on our terms.