Time to come Home

Old May 14th 2016, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

mpegan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Time to come Home

Hello all

Have been working away for the last 27 years, sticking to the 91 day rule and so far so good.

My wife's health is not so good so will be retiring shortly and returning to the UK to look after here.

Should I seek any legal advice before returning, is there a need to inform HMRC, just looking for any tips or pointers.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Old May 14th 2016, 5:31 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Time to come Home

Originally Posted by mpegan
Hello all

Have been working away for the last 27 years, sticking to the 91 day rule and so far so good.

My wife's health is not so good so will be retiring shortly and returning to the UK to look after here.

Should I seek any legal advice before returning, is there a need to inform HMRC, just looking for any tips or pointers.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Where are you currently living? In the European Union or elsewhere?

Is your wife a British citizen or EU citizen? If not you will of course need to arrange for a visa.

There is a "sticky" thread at the top of this forum where you will see many tips. If you can't find what you are looking for, do post again with the questions you have and we will try and help!
Old May 14th 2016, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Time to come Home

Hi
Currently working in Iraq, worked all over though, wife has always stayed in UK, she is a British Citizen and I have just worked away for 2-3 months and returned for a few weeks leave, thank you.
Old May 14th 2016, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you are also British then you just return to the UK and continue living there.

Presumably since you have been returning every few weeks you already have GP set up and bank accounts etc. Whether or not you have to contact HMRC depends on your current income/tax situation.
Old May 14th 2016, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The taxman will track you down !
Old May 14th 2016, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

You new employer (if you have one) will notify HMRC for you.
Be sure to make written documentation of all your travel dates in recent years.
Old May 15th 2016, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

You just come back. No need to tell anyone in particular, beyond registering for doctors, dentists, electoral roll for voting etc.
Old May 15th 2016, 5:52 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the help, I should be good with HMRC according to the SRT.
As for new employer, there won't be one as I'll be no longer working, just looking after the Wife.

Many thanks