Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on shipping an eleven year dog from Australia to U.K

Thoughts on shipping an eleven year dog from Australia to U.K

Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:18 am
Just Joined

rocme has a brilliant futurerocme has a brilliant futurerocme has a brilliant futurerocme has a brilliant futurerocme has a brilliant futurerocme has a brilliant future
Default Thoughts on shipping an eleven year dog from Australia to U.K

I contacted a pet relocation service about six months ago and asked lots of questions;as my much loved dog is eleven.I was told that they had never had a fatality and have shipped some very old pets.However I've read in the forum some horrible stories of pets being shipped from U.K to Australia with disasterous results.So does anyone in the forum have experience shipping pets from Australia to U.K?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Thoughts on shipping an eleven year dog from Australia to U.K

I used JetPets in Tullermarine VIC, they were great. Jaime Berry was the Vet who came out and did the Rabies vaccine.

I had the same concerns as everyone, but it was done door to door, couldnt have asked any more, and other than my two cats being ever so slightly confused by it all, it went really well.

If you are even slightly nervous about it, use a pet carrier like J Pets so its managed with lots of other animals.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

We brought our eleven year old westie back from Oz no problems at all!!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:31 pm

pomijean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
We brought our eleven year old westie back from Oz no problems at all!!
My kelpie will be 13 when we go home later this year,also a diabetic cat aged 8,was going to take my old cat but he died.
Its been a 40 year nightmare,but it will happen
Good Luck to all returnees
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the horror stories on here have been more about highly stressed animals who have escaped etc - didnt sound like any of them were on the elderly side, more like raging adolescents.

I am sure your dog will thank you for the opportunity to walk in the woods and imagine chasing the bunnies that he does in his dreams without getting heatstressed and anxious about being bitten by a snake or getting ticks etc.

Some dogs at 11 are in their prime!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomijean
My kelpie will be 13 when we go home later this year,also a diabetic cat aged 8,was going to take my old cat but he died.
Its been a 40 year nightmare,but it will happen
Good Luck to all returnees
Yeh you cant leave em behind We also brought our kelpie back to UK and as we are going back (hopefully this year) we will be taking the poor buggers back again
Old Jan 16th 2009, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold

We are about to use James Cargo for the second time to ship our cat and dog back to Australia. Although the office at the time was a small rather tatty looking building in the middle of an industrial area they were very efficient and friendly. The animals are 4 and 8years old and have done the trip twice now and we dont foresee any problems with the next trip either.

Just wish you could get frequent flyers for your pets. LOL

Don't worry about them they will be fine and a good cuddle at the other end will be all they need.

Regards
Plants
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

rocme has a brilliant futurerocme has a brilliant futurerocme has a brilliant futurerocme has a brilliant futurerocme has a brilliant futurerocme has a brilliant future

Thank you everyone for your reassuring replys.I took my pooch for his yearly injections yesterday and spoke to the vet who said that he should travel well as he's very healthy and alert.He does have a bit of arthritis in the spinal area and he's on treatment for that.The vet said that she would make sure he had a full dose a few days before the flight because of the distance and would do full bloods etc also. So apart from the mandatary vet/customs checks ,she would double check him herself just to make sure.I feel a lot better about relocating him now and I know he would love to be out there chasing squirrels 'cause right now I can't take him for a walk as it's too hot.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 9:01 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rocme
I contacted a pet relocation service about six months ago and asked lots of questions;as my much loved dog is eleven.I was told that they had never had a fatality and have shipped some very old pets.However I've read in the forum some horrible stories of pets being shipped from U.K to Australia with disasterous results.So does anyone in the forum have experience shipping pets from Australia to U.K?
We too used Jetpets and they were brilliant - our westies were nine and seven. They are now romping around our lovely countryside like two young pups

Good luck with your return.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PLANTS
We are about to use James Cargo for the second time to ship our cat and dog back to Australia. Although the office at the time was a small rather tatty looking building in the middle of an industrial area they were very efficient and friendly. The animals are 4 and 8years old and have done the trip twice now and we dont foresee any problems with the next trip either.

Just wish you could get frequent flyers for your pets. LOL

Don't worry about them they will be fine and a good cuddle at the other end will be all they need.

Regards
Plants
When you go back do the dog have to go through all the blood test aand stuff again? Ours had their rabies which I was told by my vet covers them for 5 years but just wondered about all the other stuff they go through?
Old Jan 17th 2009, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
When you go back do the dog have to go through all the blood test aand stuff again? Ours had their rabies which I was told by my vet covers them for 5 years but just wondered about all the other stuff they go through?
My OH is in the process of reading and trying to understand the requirements as it doesnt seem to hard to do most of the work yourself, and saves having to pay the shippers markup so will get him to do the next bit.

As far as we understand it, you need to apply for an Australian Import Permit first, this is valid for 1 year from issue. This then allows you to book a place in the quarantine station of your choice, (be aware some have a long waiting list 2-3 months particulary Byford in Perth) so best to do this in advance. Pets will spend 1 month in quarantine on arrival in Australia.

This next bit we are working out exact details so please correct me if it is wrong.

Choose a Local Veterinary Inspector, apply for export permit (this is sent to LVI 10 days before export). Next, within 30 days of departure go to LVI for blood tests (dog only) and flea treatment (dont think this is the test for rabies its for Brucella, leptospirosis and some other infections) and other usual vaccinations if not already done. Blood results must return negative to allow export.

48 hours prior to departure, final check, flea and parasite treatment. Vet to fill in and sign export docs.

Take all paperwork to export agent with pet about 6 hours before flight departure.

This is based on info we have been supplied by James Cargo.

If you need more detailed info PM us.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

Mine is the same age and I am taking him, it won't be nice for him being a box for 32 hours BUT better that than getting left or put down, once he gets to the UK he will have a lovely time there, I am sure yours will too.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

When we bought our dogs from UK to Aus it was not the flights that stressed them, the carriers were excellent it was the period in quarantine, they lost quite a bit of weight and were covered in fleas. But after all that it took them no time at all to get back to normal and boy were they pleased to see us.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

Yes as I'm shipping him back to England and not the other way.I can take steps to avoid quarantine in U.K. I've contacted Jet pets and they've sent me a quote and the service they provide.I've also looked on every possible web site with regards to pet relocation to ensure his safety.In all honesty my Golden Retriever has been the main reason I haven't thought of moving back to England sooner.He probably will cope better overall than I will seeing him go off in that crate
I also looked on the 'British airways world cargo' and they seem very efficient and particular with regards to the safety of moving pets.
I think I'm now on my way and the actual decision has been the hardest overall (notice I said 'think')
As I mentioned before;I came back from England just a week ago having had the 'flu from hell'. I now have pneumonia.My family are worried even though I've reasurred them and equally I'm feeling sick and sorry for myself and want to have them near me.This is a sober realisation that I am just too far away.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

lickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to all

Hi, Just wanted to tell you that my beloved yorkie Penny flew from UK to OZ at 16 years and she made it fine. I beleive if you have the rabies injection here in OZ they can fly after 6 months to the UK and then dont need to go into Quarantine. My freind just has just got a passport for her dog from her vet in Adelaide. It has his photo in too!!. If she decides to go back to UK he can fly in 6 months and come straight off the plane and go home I beleive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.