Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Thought's on Farnham anyone???

Wikiposts

Thought's on Farnham anyone???

Old Aug 23rd 2009, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Thought's on Farnham anyone???

Thanks for all the replys, it's giving us lots of food for thought.

Thanks for the Wokingham link, it looks nice too.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

lumines has a spectacular aura aboutlumines has a spectacular aura aboutlumines has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Ah..........Littlehaven halt, the train station, just a halt really. My father-in-law used to work there as a signalman.

The reason they may be cheaper is due to the proximity of the railway, slight noise (not much) and also in comparison to other houses in the vicinity they are marginally smaller.

Roffey had (past tense) the reputation of being the council estate area, but having said that there are some palatial houses very nearby. The position has changed now and there are only one or two areas to avoid, Furzefield Road far end.

Lots of people took advantage of Maggie Thatchers right to buy so you have council houses for sale, all good stuff most with DG and CH and also bloody great big long gardens.

What are the names of the roads?

Lambs Farm road perfectly OK, but try to get onto the other side if you can, the best is Duchells Copse estate, Keats Close is where I lived, very nice but...........very many pounds!!!!

Also think about Colgate, just up the road, wonderful place.

Any more ask away.
They are both in little cul-de-sacs off Lemmington Way, so the other side of the tracks from the roads you mentioned – and right near where you used to live! They are both much nearer the railway line than you were though, and one of them seems to just about back onto the A264. Perhaps it is just that they aren’t ideally located then from a noise point of view – they definitely aren’t ex-council houses. Perhaps too because they're modern houses that like you say are a bit smaller than the older ones. Anyway, that is really very helpful information, thanks!

Colgate and Faygate look lovely, some really nice houses, but we’re trying to stay in the town really because of the schools – ideally down near Horsham Station.

Thanks again – no doubt will be in touch again soon with more questions
Old Aug 31st 2009, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

gail.crease is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by smudge1
Farnham itself is lovely. Its a very small town and fairly olde-worldy with some lovely little cobbled lanes of shops and some nice old Georgian buildings. There is a lovely park for walking. It has a main line into London. I lived in Fleet which is about 2 or 3 miles away and would definitely live in Farnham..however just be careful as parts of Farnham are actually closer to Aldershot where I personally really wouldn't want to live....

(Have tried pasting a link below but not sure if it will work..?)

http://images.google.co.nz/imgres?im...a%3DN%26um%3D1
We lived in Fleet too. We loved Farnham and would have lived there but found a lovely new housing estate in Fleet which swayed us a few years ago. We like it so much that, although we're in Oz, we're never selling our house there. If we ever came back we'd consider moving to Farnham because the high schools are better than Fleet (based on league tables). Apart from Aldershot the whole area is lovely.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

gail.crease is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stm1971
Thanks Lumines, I know what you mean, this research lark is all consuming LOL.

I saw that you are also looking at this area too.

The trains into London are not much of a concern for us as we won't be commuting but we still do not want to be too far away. Up until a couple of weeks ago we had pinpointed Fleet but my OH was back for a week a while back and wasn't particularly struck so the search continues.

Horsham is probably my next choice at the moment but we won't really be able to make a choice until we are there for our reccie. I'm a little bit concerned about one of schools as it had some issues with bullying in the past but they may be all resolved now. It also depends on the OH's job prospects, but from the research we have done most of the work for him will be in the South London, Crawley area.

Hopefully someone will come along who has lived in the area and will be able to give us some more info.
We lived in Elvetham heath in Fleet. We loved it. It's has a fantastic community feel. Most of the people there are from different parts of the UK and overseas so it's easy to make friends. It's quite self contained with it's own school, church and supermarket. It also has a nature reserve and duck pond. You either love it or hate it. We like modern houses so loved it. If the call to Oz hadn't been so strong we'd have never left. As I said in my last post we've kept our house there just in case.

The only problem living there is the M3 then M25 round to Crawley is a nightmare in rush hour. My OH used to drive to London every day and left at 6am to miss the traffic on M3. After 7am it turns into a car park. I'd consider somewhere nearer to live. There's loads of pretty villages out that way.

Gail
Old Aug 31st 2009, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gail.crease
We lived in Elvetham heath in Fleet. We loved it. It's has a fantastic community feel. Most of the people there are from different parts of the UK and overseas so it's easy to make friends. It's quite self contained with it's own school, church and supermarket. It also has a nature reserve and duck pond. You either love it or hate it. We like modern houses so loved it. If the call to Oz hadn't been so strong we'd have never left. As I said in my last post we've kept our house there just in case.

The only problem living there is the M3 then M25 round to Crawley is a nightmare in rush hour. My OH used to drive to London every day and left at 6am to miss the traffic on M3. After 7am it turns into a car park. I'd consider somewhere nearer to live. There's loads of pretty villages out that way.

Gail
I really liked the look of Fleet myself and will still have a look when we go back so it's still a possibilty. I prefer modern houses too and the EH development looked to be one of the better designed modern developments.

I've come to the conclusion that anywhere in this area will suit us (except for ALdershot) so will just wait and see what Town feels "right" when we get there now.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

claire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really nice

I just wanted to add that I have lived in both Aldershot and Farnham and some parts of Aldershot are much safer and more pleasant generally than some parts of Farnham.

Gaodalming is also very nice and has a good link to London.

Good luck

Claire
Old Sep 1st 2009, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from Farnham, lived there twenty years and brought my fmaily up there. Great place, best schools, direct train line to London, short distance to coast. South of Farnham is best although avoid roads around Weydon school (although school itself is fantastic), definitely don't go anywhere near Sandy Hill or Weybourne. Best villages around Farnham are The Bourne, Tilford, Frensham, Shortheath, Boundstone. I'm originally from Guildford and definitely would not live there.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:36 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter lives in Farnham and it's a great place, I love visiting. Good schools and all around is lovely countryside. House prices are quite high. There is a direct train to Waterloo.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough

Poor Aldershot! Ive just spent the last 11 years of my life living there and, believe it or not, I got out alive!

No, it isnt the best place in the world, but there are some lovely houses and streets (mine was and we only sold it because of the move to Oz). There are rough areas in Farnham and Guildford too.

However, would like to say that we would have moved before my children went to senior school because I didnt want them growing up in this area - and that includes Guildford, Ash, Ash Vale and Farnborough.

Aldershot and Ash/Ash Vale are only seperated by a roundabout.
Farnham and Aldershot are literally joined (the outer estates of Farnham).

If you are looking to come to the area, it is very expensive. Frimley and Mytchett are nice too.

Good luck with the search for your new destination.

Karen
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 1968_karen
However, would like to say that we would have moved before my children went to senior school because I didnt want them growing up in this area - and that includes Guildford, Ash, Ash Vale and Farnborough.
So Karen, where WOULD you have moved to before your children went to senior school, any particular areas that you would have had in mind? And why didn't you want your children growing up in the area, what were the specifics? (I'm also looking into this area, all about price and schools really, plus possibly commuting to South London/Surrey border area)

Ta
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for keeping this going peeps, looks like it is a popular area for returnees. All posts and opinions are very welcome.

Karen, I too am interested to know where you would have moved too for secondary schools, and what are the areas of Farnham to avoid. In my (seemingly) never ending internet trawling I have noticed that you get a lot more house for your money in places like Wokingham, although I am sure there is reason for this. Does any one any have any first hand knowledge?
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough

Hi everyone

Ive slept on this one and have decided that actually, Aldershot is not very nice. It just so happens that we lived in a fab close with fantastic neighbours and that is priceless.

However, when I walked through the town with my children I would tell them to avoid eye contact. Now I dont know if this is because Im getting a old and am seeing things differently, but it just seemed rough. It isnt full of squaddies, as you would imagine, but they are here. There are good parts and bad parts. There are streets that are poor and there are streets, like the one I lived in, that was really nice and full of people who used to live in places, like Farnham, and couldnt afford to live there anymore. Sometimes Aldershot is used as a stepping stone.

Farnham is lovely. Nice small shoppings area, pretty buildings, good schools, expensive. Areas to avoid are Upper Hale and Sandy Hill - although I have never lived there, just what I have heard. All Hallows is a very good senior school but is a Catholic one and admission criteria is very strict.

Where would I have moved to? We would have actually moved out of the area, probably towards the coast. Lots of reasons - we have always lived around here, the prices are ridiculously expensive etc etc. But if I was staying around here, and I could afford it, I would look at Frimley (another very good academic senior school, Tomlinscote, but you need to be in catchment), Mytchett (nothing really there, lovely small primary school and nursery) and South Farnham (we have never looked there because of the prices).

Ash and Ash Vale are pretty much like Mytchett. In fact there is one long road and one leads into the other. Not much going on, but some good primary schools. Holly Logde has an excellent report, but you need to be in catchment. Ash Manor is the senior school, which is supposed to be good if your child is into sports.

Farnborough is nice too. Shopping centre is just having a revamp. Wavell is the senior school which is supposed to be good. Primary schools are good too.

Fleet is nice, nice shopping area and good schools. Elvetham Heath is lovely, some beautiful houses. Big bucks and right next to the M3, so I guess could be noisy!

Wokingham is lovely. We grew up in Bracknell and it is right next to Wokingham. Again, it isnt cheap.

Lots of jobs in the area. Mainly office jobs, lots of head offices in Bracknell.

Hope that helps. But this is all just my view point. Others may disagree.

Karen
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

smudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond repute

Just found this on Aldershot...says it all really.
http://www.gethampshire.co.uk/news/s..._residents_say
Old Sep 4th 2009, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I was born and raised in Camberley.

Farnham is nice. So is Guildford though begins to get pretty pricey quite quickly when you head that way.

Camberley is ok, but the train is crap for getting to London since you usually have to change at least once.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1968_karen
Hi everyone

Ive slept on this one and have decided that actually, Aldershot is not very nice. It just so happens that we lived in a fab close with fantastic neighbours and that is priceless.

However, when I walked through the town with my children I would tell them to avoid eye contact. Now I dont know if this is because Im getting a old and am seeing things differently, but it just seemed rough. It isnt full of squaddies, as you would imagine, but they are here. There are good parts and bad parts. There are streets that are poor and there are streets, like the one I lived in, that was really nice and full of people who used to live in places, like Farnham, and couldnt afford to live there anymore. Sometimes Aldershot is used as a stepping stone.

Farnham is lovely. Nice small shoppings area, pretty buildings, good schools, expensive. Areas to avoid are Upper Hale and Sandy Hill - although I have never lived there, just what I have heard. All Hallows is a very good senior school but is a Catholic one and admission criteria is very strict.

Where would I have moved to? We would have actually moved out of the area, probably towards the coast. Lots of reasons - we have always lived around here, the prices are ridiculously expensive etc etc. But if I was staying around here, and I could afford it, I would look at Frimley (another very good academic senior school, Tomlinscote, but you need to be in catchment), Mytchett (nothing really there, lovely small primary school and nursery) and South Farnham (we have never looked there because of the prices).

Ash and Ash Vale are pretty much like Mytchett. In fact there is one long road and one leads into the other. Not much going on, but some good primary schools. Holly Logde has an excellent report, but you need to be in catchment. Ash Manor is the senior school, which is supposed to be good if your child is into sports.

Farnborough is nice too. Shopping centre is just having a revamp. Wavell is the senior school which is supposed to be good. Primary schools are good too.

Fleet is nice, nice shopping area and good schools. Elvetham Heath is lovely, some beautiful houses. Big bucks and right next to the M3, so I guess could be noisy!

Wokingham is lovely. We grew up in Bracknell and it is right next to Wokingham. Again, it isnt cheap.

Lots of jobs in the area. Mainly office jobs, lots of head offices in Bracknell.

Hope that helps. But this is all just my view point. Others may disagree.

Karen
That's a really good post and I agree with everything that you have said.

We used to live in Fleet and were really happy there -my daughter used to be at Fleet infants school. It was a great little school.

Love

Rudi
x

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.