Thoughts about returning

Old Feb 3rd 2007, 2:14 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts about returning

I know you said you didn't want to move provinces, but what about looking a little further afield than Guelph? Guelph, while lovely is still a very small city and from what I remember expensive. Not too far down the road is the K-W area or if you go south by 20 or 30 minutes you hit <shuddering> Hamilton. From what I remember of being on a citizen's committee years ago, Milton is set to double in size by 2020 so there is lots of opportunity that way as well. I don't know what type of work either you or your wife do, but hopefully you will find something suitable soon. I do kinow what it's like to be in a strange country and not be able to live without dipping into the savings for everyday things like rent and groceries.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 2:29 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I know you said you didn't want to move provinces, but what about looking a little further afield than Guelph? Guelph, while lovely is still a very small city and from what I remember expensive. Not too far down the road is the K-W area or if you go south by 20 or 30 minutes you hit <shuddering> Hamilton. From what I remember of being on a citizen's committee years ago, Milton is set to double in size by 2020 so there is lots of opportunity that way as well. I don't know what type of work either you or your wife do, but hopefully you will find something suitable soon. I do kinow what it's like to be in a strange country and not be able to live without dipping into the savings for everyday things like rent and groceries.

Sorry if this sounds harsh. Please don't take it that way.

Applied for jobs in: Kitchener, Waterloo, Hamilton, Toronto, Acton, Milton, Ottawa, Oshawa, Cambridge, and Halifax. - and so has my wife. This list is only a partial one too. I even applied for a job with a Canadian company in Bermuda!!

We are not restricting ourselves to staying in Guelph. We will move to a location that has suitable job(s). We are flexible.

We don't have the finances to set up in another area without having the guarantee of full-time, decently paid employment now.

Of now to slam head in fridge door.

Best wishes and apologies.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Madmac
Sorry if this sounds harsh. Please don't take it that way.

Applied for jobs in: Kitchener, Waterloo, Hamilton, Toronto, Acton, Milton, Ottawa, Oshawa, Cambridge, and Halifax. - and so has my wife. This list is only a partial one too. I even applied for a job with a Canadian company in Bermuda!!

We are not restricting ourselves to staying in Guelph. We will move to a location that has suitable job(s). We are flexible.

We don't have the finances to set up in another area without having the guarantee of full-time, decently paid employment now.

Of now to slam head in fridge door.

Best wishes and apologies.
What is it you do Madmac?
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 5:33 pm

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fishfinger
What is it you do Madmac?
IT - hardware side though have done programming. I was an IT engineer installing networks and all the associated software. Then I became an IT lecturer at a Scottish College for 4 years. In the dim and distant past I was a Quality Assurance Supervisor for 12 years.

After three months of no luck and over 80 bona fide applications I've so far been offered $10 an hour to do hardware support, a quality analysts role which I took for 9 weeks at $18 an hour, and my current role is as a support coordinator for a database product that the GOC has rolled out through the County level to homeless shelters. I'm now earning half of what I earned back home and my wife is earning $15 an hour for a 40 hour week doing payroll, HR, benefits, reception etc... (and she's an accountant ). The last role ends in 2 months with nought on the horizon for both of us.

Do I sound bitter? - Yeah probably but at least we've got jobs for the next few months and who knows, the Gods may smile on us yet.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

Jib Jib is a jewel in the roughJib Jib is a jewel in the roughJib Jib is a jewel in the roughJib Jib is a jewel in the roughJib Jib is a jewel in the rough

Hi Madmac
We are considering to go to Canada. My husband got an opportunity to go to Calgary, it is not definate but I think it is a good chance that we the offer is good enough then we will relocate to Canada. I am an application developer and been in IT for about 7 years now. I am a bit nervous about going as I think I wont be able to find any work in Calgary. I didnt expect it to be better than living in UK (North East) but just expect a new experience. Reading your last post make me feel even more nervous!!! What do you think is the main barrier in getting a job? What is the IT industry like where you live?

I hope things work out for the best for you very soon.
All the best
Peddie
Old Feb 4th 2007, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Madmac
IT - hardware side though have done programming. I was an IT engineer installing networks and all the associated software. Then I became an IT lecturer at a Scottish College for 4 years. In the dim and distant past I was a Quality Assurance Supervisor for 12 years.

After three months of no luck and over 80 bona fide applications I've so far been offered $10 an hour to do hardware support, a quality analysts role which I took for 9 weeks at $18 an hour, and my current role is as a support coordinator for a database product that the GOC has rolled out through the County level to homeless shelters. I'm now earning half of what I earned back home and my wife is earning $15 an hour for a 40 hour week doing payroll, HR, benefits, reception etc... (and she's an accountant ). The last role ends in 2 months with nought on the horizon for both of us.

Do I sound bitter? - Yeah probably but at least we've got jobs for the next few months and who knows, the Gods may smile on us yet.
I can totally understand why you feel bitter. I hate the way Canada restricts itself by relying on networking to find a job or asking for 'Canadian experience'

They sell you on the fact that they are short on skilled labour but the processes aren't put in place to help you when you arrive.

My husband is experiencing problems with his job. He is over skilled for his position and he accepted that for the past 2 years just to get his foot in the door but they will not promote him instead they give the jobs to Canadians with less experience. They know he is qualified but they discount his previous work experience. He's had enough now, it's actually affecting his career so we will go back to England where he can get a better paid job with more career prospects.

At least you tried, that's what I say, you haven't failed. You can say you've been there, done that and got the T-shirt!
Old Feb 4th 2007, 7:16 am
Just Joined

I made the change has a spectacular aura aboutI made the change has a spectacular aura aboutI made the change has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by denmac37
I fully understand how you are feeling right now. Our move has been a financial nightmare for us to.We are just south of you Madmac in Windsor same situation no work. I have been laid off for 3 mths Resume's flying out left right and centre. wife has no job how the hell we are surviving I will never know. Before xmas really ready to go back HOME and stick 2 fingers to this effing country but I had the chance to go see another province ,Manitoba Winnipeg. It was refreshing to see another province where it does seem to work for people. Southern Ontario is dying on it's feet . Get out now before it's too late but do think about another province first. I am waiting on my steamfitter red seal exam today if I get that I am over to Alberta. The posts on this thread are right NO Canadian certificates NO job. UK credentials are not worth jack **** here. With my qualifications in Pipefitting Welding Plumbing Gas fitting I thought I would be snapped up but no it is not the case.
If you feel like letting off some steam then pm me and lets have a good but maybe constructive moan together.
As my dad keeps saying SON DON'T LET THE BAS****S GRIND YOU DOWN
HANG IN THERE
DenMac
Ha ha ha ha ha - not laughing at the desperate situation, just something you said about the UK credentials - you are so right! I am currently a security guard (UK national) with 3 degrees - all from the UK so I really stand no chance here in Canada. Can anyone shed any light on this certificate thing going on? Jees almost everything is multiple choice requiring little or no real input in order to pass - seems the degrees are worth C**p. The most annoying thing of course is that it often takes 3 Canadians to do the job of one!

One last tiny rant - do Canadian employers have a buzzer/red light that goes off on their computer when any non-canadian applies for a position? - Just a thought.

Well best of luck to you all - I shall continue to fight on with regards to the job market - the PR was too hard to come by in the first place - the thought of giving it up would be heartbreaking.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:13 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by I made the change
I am currently a security guard (UK national) with 3 degrees -
"When will I see you again...when will our hearts beat together"
So sorry...could resist!!!
Old Feb 4th 2007, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Jib Jib
Hi Madmac
We are considering to go to Canada. My husband got an opportunity to go to Calgary, it is not definate but I think it is a good chance that we the offer is good enough then we will relocate to Canada. I am an application developer and been in IT for about 7 years now. I am a bit nervous about going as I think I wont be able to find any work in Calgary. I didnt expect it to be better than living in UK (North East) but just expect a new experience. Reading your last post make me feel even more nervous!!! What do you think is the main barrier in getting a job? What is the IT industry like where you live?

I hope things work out for the best for you very soon.
All the best
Peddie
If I only knew the answer I wouldn't be in the mess I'm in.

Let's give a balanced view of things here and say that it does work for some immigrants - in fact quite a few (R2D2 to name but one) so don't let my experience dissuade you. I don't regret trying and neither should you give up before you've even given it a go.

IMHO - the 'networking' emphasis with Canadian employers is a huge barrier to surmount for a newcomer. You have to talk and make contact with as many people in and out of the industry you want to be in to at least get your name known. Adverts in newspapers and even those useless online sites are either already filled or are hooks to get your name on an agencies list. You have to get to know the people.

We specifically moved to the KW-Guelph triangle because it was supposed to have lots of Colleges where I could apply for a teaching post and a high concentration of IT businesses (RIM but to name one). Hasn't happened for me but has worked for others (Must be my face and bad attitude and condescending manner and agressive nature and .......you get the picture ).

Best wishes and don't give up before you've started.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 7:06 pm

Well the 'For Sale' sign has been put up in the front yard by the Realtor our landlord has hired.

The clock is ticking and we still can't decide on what to do. No permanent jobs yet so it ain't looking rosy.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Lionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the rough

I've read this thread with interest...

I just wanted to try and add my thoughts.

I too live in Guelph, and have experienced this kind of rut first-hand.

I too worked in the UK in IT and Networks. Given my age and experience I wasn't making silly money, but it was above the national average and for a 25 year old still living with his parents it meant I was able to save for this move AND get drunk on a regular basis.

So I moved over here in 2005 (on a work permit initially). Spent ages honing my resume showing my network, telecoms and IT support backgrounds.

As soon as I hit the ground, I hit it running. I registered with Workopolis and Monster and started sending out applications like nobody's business.

Out of around 50 jobs I applied for in and around this area and the GTA, I got two interviews. One was for a role that was way over my head downtown Toronto (but still went for s+g anyway), and one that was a perfect fit of what i've done before. The latter one was a 6 month contract at $14/hr just inside Mississauga (Winston Churchill). I thought I absolutely blitzed the interview, and was so so sure.

I didn't hear anything. I chased up and left voicemails. Nothing. This was my first taste of ignorance. I was utterly, utterly sure i'd got it. The only thing I could think of was that a friend of someone on the inside got the nod.

And that was it as far as interviews went.
So - I tried the local agencies. Kelly Services - looked as me as if I was in the wrong place. McDonald Green - the only ones who really cared - took all my details and tried to set me up. Today's Staffing - told me they had nothing even though they were advertising lots of jobs in the paper. I complained and got through to head office over it, but I couldn't care less. I was just bored through lack of work.
Eventually Adecco got me a $10/hr job at the Tylenol factory opening bottles of mislabelled Tylenol. I had two days of that until the batch was complete.

I had been here for 4 weeks and got nowhere. Luckily, one day the gf's friend came over. She worked at a Bell store flogging phones and stuff like that. Told me to give it a shot, and she'd put a word in for me...
On my birthday, 6 weeks after arriving, I started to work for Bell. It was $10/hr plus commissions. Slow at first, but I soon got into this sales thing, and was pulling probably near $18 an hour on average, having become the best in the store.

That was all well, until in March last year my work permit expired and I had to give it up. They kept my job open for me.
From March-July was grim. I ended up ahem, "volunteering" with a friend to clean and deliver used appliances in and around Toronto. In the middle of the summer. Carrying massive fridges up and down stairs all day. Killed me, but made me more determined.

So with all this time, I revisited the resume. Luckily, now I had the "Canadian Work Experience" thanks to the Bell job.

I applied for loads of jobs again, and heard nothing back. Suprise.
I got my PPR, then my Visa. The Friday before I was going to hop the border and land I got a phone call from a headhunter...

The next week I got my new SIN and started back at Bell. I had two interviews for this new position that the headhunter put me forward for.

The following Tuesday, 9 days after I became PR - I was offered a postion. In my field I was working in back in the UK - for more money than I made in the UK. It changed everything, and suddenly the last 18 months of working in factories and in jobs which weren't for me became worthwhile.

I now commute to Mississauga/Toronto daily, which is a pain, but i'm hoping to get a pay review soon which will hopefully give me a decent enough mortgage to buy a place in Toronto.

So that's my story. I thought exactly like you did many times in the last couple of years. I came over here expecting to take a pay cut and maybe work in Timmies, but that's easier said than done. It destroys your self-esteem when you're educated and expericed and all they want you to do is the menial tasks and keep the cream of the jobs for their own.

BUT IT CAN BE DONE - things can change. I went from carrying fridges alongside drug addicts to business lunches with the VP in the space of 3 weeks. It can turn around at any time.

I guess what i'm trying to say is don't give up until you absolutely have to. That one break could be just around the corner.
My gf has recently lost her job and as I type this is being interviewed for another crappy $10/hr position for a going-nowhere company. But I remain optimistic that something good for her is coming... it better be!

I can totally understand the frustration - and if ever you want to go for a beer and a bitch just shout - i'm within walking distance of the downtown pubs!

Andy
Old Feb 9th 2007, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Lionel_in_Ontario

I just wanted to try and add my thoughts........................................

I can totally understand the frustration - and if ever you want to go for a beer and a bitch just shout - i'm within walking distance of the downtown pubs!

Andy
Cheers

I remain slightly optimistic but then neither am I too upset at the thought of going home. If the right jobs come along then great. If not, then I'll be laughing with my mates come June.

PM me if you want to meet up/ We're off out tonight to eat and forget.

J
Old Feb 9th 2007, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

I too worked in the UK in IT and Networks. Given my age and experience I wasn't making silly money, but it was above the national average and for a 25 year old still living with his parents it meant I was able to save for this move AND get drunk on a regular basis.

So I moved over here in 2005 (on a work permit initially). Spent ages honing my resume showing my network, telecoms and IT support backgrounds.

As soon as I hit the ground, I hit it running. I registered with Workopolis and Monster and started sending out applications like nobody's business.

Out of around 50 jobs I applied for in and around this area and the GTA, I got two interviews. One was for a role that was way over my head downtown Toronto (but still went for s+g anyway), and one that was a perfect fit of what i've done before. The latter one was a 6 month contract at $14/hr just inside Mississauga (Winston Churchill). I thought I absolutely blitzed the interview, and was so so sure.

I didn't hear anything. I chased up and left voicemails. Nothing. This was my first taste of ignorance. I was utterly, utterly sure i'd got it. The only thing I could think of was that a friend of someone on the inside got the nod.

So - I tried the local agencies. Kelly Services - looked as me as if I was in the wrong place. McDonald Green - the only ones who really cared - took all my details and tried to set me up. Today's Staffing - told me they had nothing even though they were advertising lots of jobs in the paper. I complained and got through to head office over it, but I couldn't care less. I was just bored through lack of work.
Eventually Adecco got me a $10/hr job at the Tylenol factory opening bottles of mislabelled Tylenol. I had two days of that until the batch was complete.

I had been here for 4 weeks and got nowhere. Luckily, one day the gf's friend came over. She worked at a Bell store flogging phones and stuff like that. Told me to give it a shot, and she'd put a word in for me...
On my birthday, 6 weeks after arriving, I started to work for Bell. It was $10/hr plus commissions. Slow at first, but I soon got into this sales thing, and was pulling probably near $18 an hour on average, having become the best in the store.

That was all well, until in March last year my work permit expired and I had to give it up. They kept my job open for me.
From March-July was grim. I ended up ahem, "volunteering" with a friend to clean and deliver used appliances in and around Toronto. In the middle of the summer. Carrying massive fridges up and down stairs all day. Killed me, but made me more determined.

So with all this time, I revisited the resume. Luckily, now I had the "Canadian Work Experience" thanks to the Bell job.

I got my PPR, then my Visa. The Friday before I was going to hop the border and land I got a phone call from a headhunter...

The next week I got my new SIN and started back at Bell. I had two interviews for this new position that the headhunter put me forward for.

The following Tuesday, 9 days after I became PR - I was offered a postion. In my field I was working in back in the UK - for more money than I made in the UK. It changed everything, and suddenly the last 18 months of working in factories and in jobs which weren't for me became worthwhile.

I now commute to Mississauga/Toronto daily, which is a pain, but i'm hoping to get a pay review soon which will hopefully give me a decent enough mortgage to buy a place in Toronto.

So that's my story. I thought exactly like you did many times in the last couple of years. I came over here expecting to take a pay cut and maybe work in Timmies, but that's easier said than done. It destroys your self-esteem when you're educated and expericed and all they want you to do is the menial tasks and keep the cream of the jobs for their own.

BUT IT CAN BE DONE - things can change. I went from carrying fridges alongside drug addicts to business lunches with the VP in the space of 3 weeks. It can turn around at any time.

I guess what i'm trying to say is don't give up until you absolutely have to. That one break could be just around the corner.
My gf has recently lost her job and as I type this is being interviewed for another crappy $10/hr position for a going-nowhere company. But I remain optimistic that something good for her is coming... it better be!

Andy
Well I take my hat off to you, I don't think I would have gone through all that just to stay in Canada! I hope you continue to be happy here.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey Lionel - my hat is off too ! Now that's what I call staying power. I wish you all the best - and to your girlfriend too in her quest for bigger and brighter things ... and a decent wage !
Old Feb 10th 2007, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Andy
A good motivation post Andy and my kudos to you.
You will do well wherever you are.The life experiences
make you grow strong.
Yoong

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.