Thoughts about being back

Old May 15th 2004, 9:55 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

HI BG

Wow how excellent...the job offers. I did see a post of yours asking advice about it, so you are going ahead with it all.

Looks like you have alot to deal with at moment..well my thoughts are with you matey.You are a bright positive lady so you will get there.

Watched George Michael on Parkinson last night and he was saying that he lives in the Uk and I thought well if it's good enough for Georgey babe then it good enough for me. LOL

Your right many stars live there and the media are the ones who "create" most of the drama. You know I lived there for 38 years and of course I think where you live or were raised has alot to do with your view of the country. I lived in a green belt area so I had alot of outside freedom.

Anyway I am not going to go into it...I'm glad to see you are ok though BG. I know you are busy but just pop in now and again and let us know how you are going.

Not long now before a few leave OZ and head home to the UK

We are also trying to sell the house in a dead market..arghhhhhh timing not good !!oh well we have another open house on 22nd so will see how we go.!!

Take care BG....

P x
Old May 16th 2004, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Ah thanks Pants.

Yes it is a hard time for me. So many emotions, sometimes wondering if it's the right thing that I am doing and all that but then I have to remember why I'm in this position in the first place.

I'm definitley going to start posting more again - its very theraputic!

I know that there are lots returning from Oz but how many are there returning from the US?? You know people complain about yob culture in the UK but if they had to deal with drive by shootings I bet they would be up in arms.

Us Brits have always been explorers, leaving the UK for adventures all over the world but I don't think that there is any need to out it down as much as what many do - especially the media.

I also think that it is a harder process moving back then it is leaving in the first place so good luck to everyone on their return home.

BGxx
Old May 16th 2004, 4:04 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bromleygirl
Ah thanks Pants.

I know that there are lots returning from Oz but how many are there returning from the US??

BGxx

Actually BG I do know quite a number of Brits whom have chosen to return to the UK - and are indeed happily living there again.

Some Scottish friends of ours who lived in Needham, MA (near Boston) and in a very nice middle class area, returned to Scotland last Summer. They had lived for a number of years in Brussels and Singapore (where we knew them from) but just didn't find living in Massachusetts as being at 'home'. Rather than apply for Green Cards, the husband maxed out his six years on his H1 visa then they packed up and left. Also the draw of home was that both had ageing parents and wanted their children to feel 'Scottish'. Their two youngest children actually attended the British School of Boston but their eldest (now 15) was already in the US school system before the British School was established. I know they weren't impressed with the local American school, so when Douglas completed his Middle School (grade 8) they left the States.

I also know of three families with my husband's company who have chosen to return to England. All of them had young children approaching school age. The company's office is in Times Square, NYC and as you can imagine, property prices are extremely high. One family were living in Manhatten in a rented apartment which was fine for them when they were just a young couple; but when their daughter was coming up to the age of four they just knew that they couldn't afford to buy a place in a decent school district. They returned to the Greater London area last Summer. Some reasonably good friends of ours left a couple of years ago when their eldest daughter was coming up to the age of five. They lived in the next town to us but the schools are not regarded very highly and they decided to move to the UK (and the wife was Colombian). Andy was able to negotiate a very good redundancy package and they are living in the Cambridgeshire area I believe.

We feel that we are at a crossroads. I don't like particularly living in (this part of) the USA. We left more than nine years ago and lived in the Far East for a few years, but our son is at High School and would have been taking his GCSE's next Summer in England, so we will really need to stay until he completes High School in three year's time.

I Think that one reason why I've never felt settled here is that I find the American women to be quite shallow and although I have them as aquaintances, none of them I could regard as a true friend.....oddly enough those whom I do regard as being friends are all Australian expats.

However, I do find it odd that children here are 'babied' for longer and are frequently still in nappies until they are almost four years old! My daughter was reading by the age of four at her school in England, yet here they are reading at a later age. No wonder British parents with young children often feel in a dilema about what to do about their education.

I think that the nicest bonus of all for returning to the UK is that it's so nice to be in regular contact with family again, and that one's children get to see their grandparents, aunties, uncles and cousins. It's not the same when they live thousands of miles away and rarely, if ever, get to see their extended family.

Old May 16th 2004, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Thanks EnglishMum for those words.

Education is my driving factor I must say. The kindergarten where we are runs from 9.15 - 11.50 each day. Kindergarten is meant to prepare children for school. By 1st grade my daughter will be almost 7 years old and would never have done a full day at school. Plus how much preparation does a child need. She has already spent 3 years in nursery school. This year she has gone 5 mornings a week so in my opinion Kindergarten is like repeating her last year of nurery school all over again.

I also agree with you re the culture here of shallow American women. Most that I have come across are friendly enough but are not real friends.

It does reassure me to know that there are others who have returned from the US and are happy. Sometimes you do hear of people who return back to the US because the UK is not how they remembered it. I do think that if you go into the move back with your "eyes open" and realise that some things have changed since you have been gone and that maybe some things you won't like then it won't be as much of a shock. I think being positive and practical for me is how I tend to live my life and seems to get me through most things.

I've been here for almost 8 years and I definitley know that if I am going to make the move back that the time is now to do it especially with having and 5 and 3 year old to bear in mind. I'm not ruling out ever moving back to the States - maybe the east coast where there seems to be more going on and cheaper aif fares back to the UK but I feel that it would be really good to spend a few years back in the UK at least for my children to appreciate that they are British.