Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

For Those Who Have Returned To UK.. What Have Your Experiences Taught you?

Wikiposts

For Those Who Have Returned To UK.. What Have Your Experiences Taught you?

Old Sep 12th 2007, 5:48 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default For Those Who Have Returned To UK.. What Have Your Experiences Taught you?

I shall start with my own short list.

I have learned that living with stunning views in exotic places means nothing without your family beside you.

I have learned that going to far away places for a holiday is a whole lot different from living there.

Money, possesions and material things are just not that important to me.

Speaking the same language does not equate to the same values and culture.

For me, i need the comfort of home and England is it.

Living in 3 dfferent countries has given me a great new confidnece in myself and i am content knowing i can deal with extreme changes in my life. I am so glad i did this just to find that out!!
Old Sep 12th 2007, 5:52 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: For Those Who Have Returned To UK.. What Have Your Experiences Taught you?

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum

I have learned that living with stunning views in exotic places means nothing without your family beside you.

I have learned that going to far away places for a holiday is a whole lot different from living there.

Living in 3 dfferent countries has given me a great new confidnece in myself and i am content knowing i can deal with extreme changes in my life. I am so glad i did this just to find that out!!

so true and a good post FFFF

you are lucky, lots of people would like to move back home to the uk but cannot either afford it or are not willing to take the chance but you've done it, well done......good news about your bank account btw
Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:30 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For Those Who Have Returned To UK.. What Have Your Experiences Taught you?

Good thread Flea

For me I've learned to appreciate what I have (had)

That living in a beautiful sunny place doesn't automatically equal a better quality of life or a happier life

Never ever to listen to stupid TV programmes like New Life Down Under or believe Aussies who sell "the dream" at seminars

To chill out more and relax - the "she'll be right mate" attitude is a good one in many ways

Most importantly, I have learned that my life in the UK, despite it's obvious problems is damned good
Old Sep 12th 2007, 10:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You hit the nail on the head Flea...England is comfortable...full stop. I can't wait to make another trip back and hopefully that will be in the next few weeks.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 11:00 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

I have learned that I can adapt to wherever my OH's work takes us

Europe is absolutely breathtaking (in the architectural sense)

I used to be a hoarder but now find possessions are not that big a deal, as long as I have somewhere to sleep I'm happy.

I have also learned that no matter which country you live in (I've lived in about 5) you still have to do the same shit you did at home eg. pay bills, do laundry, cook and clean etc)
this is for the people that think I live an exotic life abroad.

It can be a very lonely place until you start making friends..

I haven't returned back to the UK yet, but I'm looking forward to it...
Old Sep 12th 2007, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

karni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nice

FleaFly,

Love your comments and am taking great comfort from the fact you have settled so well back in the UK. I too am about to make the journey back to the UK in the next few weeks (minus one australian fiance) and hope I will have learnt from lessons from this whole experience...mainly I think that 'home is where the heart is'!

karni
Old Sep 13th 2007, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Good thread Flea

Agree with your points ( suprise, suprise
Also, that much as I love sunshine, a warmer climate can get a bit much all the time - seasons are pretty good to.
That UK is a brilliant country to live in and I'm determined to really appreciate it alot more.
To not think the grass may be greener elsewhere - to appreciate what I have, where I am - which is a whole lot.
That things change - life, feelings, thoughts and what was brill y'day may not be for today.
To appreciate the close bonds of family and old friends - tis great.
That I'm so much more British than I ever though & v glad I am
Old Sep 14th 2007, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Ayrria is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow I wish I could see it like you guys did. I lived away with my DH in the USA for 3 months last year. Although it wasn't a long time and I did miss my family. I now really miss it there. Although he will be moving here. It opened my eyes to how people in my area really are... I know you get the bad ones everywhere but it's even worse here lol.

However we are planning on moving to the north and it's ment to be nicer up there then it is down here in the south. I must admit I am looking forward to getting away from the humidity. It's colder = me not moody and sweaty, it's cheaper = less finantual problems and I am really looking forward to my husband coming home.