Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

For those who have moved back

Wikiposts

For those who have moved back

Old May 7th 2010, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of
Default For those who have moved back

Hi, my name's Kevin and I've slunk around on the forums for a while especially the 'moving back to UK' one. I've lived in Oz for 19 years (and basically don't think I can stand it much longer) and have an Australian wife and Australian daughter (12.) We are planning to return to the UK in July and was just wondering what those who have already made the leap (aussies in the UK too!) miss most, if anything, about Australia and what things they don't miss?
Also, what has made you the happiest on your return home and what don't you like in the UK?

Even though I'm still stuck in Oz I can hazard a guess at mine.

Miss most - the space
Miss least - the heat

Happiest on return - Family
Don't like - don't know yet, but last time I was home it wa the general negativity.

Thanks for your replies.
Old May 10th 2010, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

sfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud of
Default Re: For those who have moved back

Hi
We moved back aug last year after 20yrs in Australia , family of three ,son 12

What I miss most
friends,
blue sky
cafes and eating out especially the coffee
spending time with other familes

what I dont miss

heat and humidity
traffic (living in the country here)
Australian TV and radio
Aussie sport

what I like about being back
seeing familiy often and catching up with old friends
countryside and walks
pretty villages
Shops and choices available
British TV and radio
sense of humour

what I dont like
comments like what have you come back to this dump for
lack of job opportunites
starting all over gain (with school, local community
grey days
awful coffee everywhere!!

I am sure will be able to think of more soon ,
Old May 13th 2010, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

cleve will become famous soon enoughcleve will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: For those who have moved back

will the miss the sense of pride in your country (Australia).

and hate the negativety in the uk, that really needs to change!!

Will be returning to the UK in July and can't wait, looking forward to HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, British Humour, Interesting Places to visit, Cheap concert/Theatre tickets, choice in everything, Sainsburys, Marks and Specers (very sad I know).
Old May 13th 2010, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

sadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud of
Default Re: For those who have moved back

Originally Posted by cleve
will the miss the sense of pride in your country (Australia).

and hate the negativety in the uk, that really needs to change!!

Will be returning to the UK in July and can't wait, looking forward to HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, British Humour, Interesting Places to visit, Cheap concert/Theatre tickets, choice in everything, Sainsburys, Marks and Specers (very sad I know).
I agree with all you have said.
The good thing about living on Oz for us was that my husband hated Coles, woolies etc and hated shopping. Now in the UK he LOVES food shopping and we buy everything from Marks & Spencers, the food shopping is excellent.
We have decided life is too short to kill your taste buds off in Oz (apart from their Thai restaurants).
You are not sad to have good taste, If M & S had apartments inside their stores I would rent one and move in ha ha, now that is sad !!
We have joined the National Trust since we have been back and the places are AMAZING, have a great time when you return.