Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Those who got their citizenship before returning...

Those who got their citizenship before returning...

Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:14 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Those who got their citizenship before returning...

I understand it is technically illegal to try to enter the US on a UK passport if you are a US citizen. Is it also illegal to leave the US on a UK passort? I'm not really sure what the problem is, as long as you have a valid passport
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:46 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Those who got their citizenship before returning...

Any strong reason not to get an American passport, if you're a U.S. citizen?
Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:23 pm

This is more out of interest than anything, but it would be useful to know if I have a sudden urge to go back and dont want to wait for the passport application.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

You need to exit and enter on a US passport.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Jelly100 is just really niceJelly100 is just really niceJelly100 is just really niceJelly100 is just really niceJelly100 is just really niceJelly100 is just really niceJelly100 is just really niceJelly100 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Chorlton
This is more out of interest than anything, but it would be useful to know if I have a sudden urge to go back and dont want to wait for the passport application.
Hi there

Dont know if it is exactly the info you are looking for, but I actually had my U.S naturalization ceremony in the morning and flew back the the UK in the afternoon. I obviously did not have a US passport and was nervous they would ask for the greencard. They did ask for it, I told them I had just been naturalised and they didnt even ask to see the certificate. Just flew back to UK on my UK passport.
I know have the issue of getting my US passport at the US embassy in London but its not that big a deal.
So as to whether it is legal or not I cannot answer, but in practical terms I had no problems

Hope this helps

Jelly
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:02 pm

Thats great info. I thought they might want the GC back too, so its good to know
Old Jan 30th 2009, 5:23 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Thats great info. I thought they might want the GC back too, so its good to know
They did take my green card -- just can't remember at exactly which point in the exercise. Maybe at the swearing in ceremony?

AFAIK, the US doesn't officially recognise multiple citizenships, so if you're a US citizen, that's the passport you should use. I use the US passport for travel to/from the US and the UK passport for most other travel.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I think basically its because once you become naturalized, the US doesn't view you as anything other than a US citizen (yes I know there is other official literature to the contrary and you don't lose your other citizenship et etc etc but on the face of it, on American soil, you are an American).

They do take the GC off you at your naturalization ceremony.

No doubt, you can get out of the country on your UK passport as Jelly100 obviously did. But what yet remains to be seen is whether he'll have any trouble getting a US passport at the US Embassy because he did so.

Personally, I'd just go for the expedited passport option - you'll have your US passport in your hand less than 10 days after your oath and then all this'll be a moot point anyway!
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Jelly100 is just really niceJelly100 is just really niceJelly100 is just really niceJelly100 is just really niceJelly100 is just really niceJelly100 is just really niceJelly100 is just really niceJelly100 is just really nice

Hi Chorlton

Sorry for any confusion, they did take my greencard at the naturalization ceremony, so I was worried they would need it at the airport as a way of getting back into the US , but they didnt, and didnt even need to see the natz cert either.
Just clarifying.
thanks
Jelly
Old Jan 30th 2009, 7:58 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

My green card was taken at the ceremony too and we were given the USC certificate with the picture attached at the end of the swearing in.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Dan725
Personally, I'd just go for the expedited passport option - you'll have your US passport in your hand less than 10 days after your oath and then all this'll be a moot point anyway!
I didnt realise it was so fast! Thanks everyone
Old Feb 1st 2009, 5:58 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
You need to exit and enter on a US passport.
Does that mean an alarm bell goes off somewhere if you stay in the UK longer than 90 days or whatever the allowed length of time is for US citizens?
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Does that mean an alarm bell goes off somewhere if you stay in the UK longer than 90 days or whatever the allowed length of time is for US citizens?
No alarm bell, it simply means exactly what was said - According to the US authorities, if you are a US citizen you must leave the US and enter the US on a US passport. Other than that - you can do what you please.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:12 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
No alarm bell, it simply means exactly what was said - According to the US authorities, if you are a US citizen you must leave the US and enter the US on a US passport. Other than that - you can do what you please.

Do you know if the UK consider you an illegal if you stay longer than 90 days? Just wondering, this is kinda interesting stuff.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:33 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Do you know if the UK consider you an illegal if you stay longer than 90 days? Just wondering, this is kinda interesting stuff.
You can't be illegal if you are a British citizen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.