Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Those phone calls we hate to get, from Blighty

Those phone calls we hate to get, from Blighty

Old Sep 26th 2010, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Those phone calls we hate to get, from Blighty

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
People over here are completely misled about our system. Of course, the expats who knock it don't help.
Exactly! Long live the NHS
Old Sep 26th 2010, 3:47 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

People over here are completely misled about our system. Of course, the expats who knock it don't help.
You know and I know that it's not that simple. One of my little brothers just got diagnosed with Hodgkins, in his bone marrow. Your hubby will tell you, up north the protocol in such cases is to euthanise the patient as quickly as possible.

So we're chucking in every penny we have, in the hope of getting him a doctor who won't murder him. It's never as simple as any of us would like it to be.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 3:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
You know and I know that it's not that simple. One of my little brothers just got diagnosed with Hodgkins, in his bone marrow. Your hubby will tell you, up north the protocol in such cases is to euthanise the patient as quickly as possible.

So we're chucking in every penny we have, in the hope of getting him a doctor who won't murder him. It's never as simple as any of us would like it to be.
My husband says "That is so much garbage it doesn't even deserve an answer, please go away."
Old Sep 26th 2010, 4:03 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband says "That is so much garbage it doesn't even deserve an answer, please go away."
Fair play to him. All I know is, there's this little cabal of docs in NE England and SE Scotland that are pushing a chemo protocol that everybody else in the world thinks is shit. We figured that out and spent the money to buy him out of it.

They're ****ing lucky that I'm over here. Cos If I was at home I would be doing lots of murdering...
Old Sep 26th 2010, 4:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Odd thing, in the USA, the attack ads, where saying they dump old people on the street, to die. Mother, must of had $100k, worth of treatment so far.

Reg. Frank R.
The UK media also like to run the NHS down.

My 89 year mum had the same...broken hip surgery...then surgery to repair a broken femur...multiple blood transfusions etc.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 11:28 am
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

Your Mum is amazing Frank! What a fighter!
Old Oct 8th 2010, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Update, we arrived back in Ft Lauderdale yesterday eve. Tired & stressed.

Mother still in hospital, her biggest problem, because of the week or so it took to stabilize the heart & breathing, she lost out on rehab. Obviously at her age, muscle wasting & body strength get lost very quickly, 25 days in bed.

She is sitting up & in the chair, feeding herself, reading the papers, doing light rehab. Hopefully, in the next few days, she is going to a live in rehab center, probably for a month or so. Where she goes after that, is totally up in the air. After I mentioned Nursing Home, she hit the roof.

Feisty as ever, they gave her a memory test, she said wanted to give some smart arse answers, but decided not to. The young doctor, that gave her the test, said, she was very funny, amusing, I said "do you want to take her home?"
She asked one of the nurses, "How many children do you have?" Nurse replied 2 mother "said how any do you want?" nurse said 5, smart arse mother said "Why don't you buy a telly?"

Last parting words, from mother "Sorry I spoilt your holiday" & “Why don’t you both come back to live in England?”

Reg. Frank R.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 3:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Update, we arrived back in Ft Lauderdale yesterday eve. Tired & stressed.

Mother still in hospital, her biggest problem, because of the week or so it took to stabilize the heart & breathing, she lost out on rehab. Obviously at her age, muscle wasting & body strength get lost very quickly, 25 days in bed.

She is sitting up & in the chair, feeding herself, reading the papers, doing light rehab. Hopefully, in the next few days, she is going to a live in rehab center, probably for a month or so. Where she goes after that, is totally up in the air. After I mentioned Nursing Home, she hit the roof.

Feisty as ever, they gave her a memory test, she said wanted to give some smart arse answers, but decided not to. The young doctor, that gave her the test, said, she was very funny, amusing, I said "do you want to take her home?"
She asked one of the nurses, "How many children do you have?" Nurse replied 2 mother "said how any do you want?" nurse said 5, smart arse mother said "Why don't you buy a telly?"

Last parting words, from mother "Sorry I spoilt your holiday" & “Why don’t you both come back to live in England?”

Reg. Frank R.
My mum was asked similar questions. On my visit the next day mum said she'd been asked 'stupid questions' like her date of birth and address. Another question was who was Prince Charles was married to...mum said and I quote...'that ugly woman Camilla'.

Yep...they broke the mould when they made that generation.

One of the last things mum said to me was that she thought my husband was a good man...despite the fact he was Catholic, had Irish ancestory and we'd been married over 30 yrs. Like I said...they broke the mould....

Speak soon Frank.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 8th 2010 at 3:14 am.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My mum was asked similar questions. On my visit the next day mum said she'd been asked 'stupid questions' like her date of birth and address. Another question was who was Prince Charles was married to...mum said and I quote...'that ugly woman Camilla'.

Yep...they broke the mould when they made that generation.

One of the last things mum said to me was that she thought my husband was a good man...despite the fact he was Catholic, had Irish ancestory and we'd been married over 30 yrs. Like I said...they broke the mould....

Speak soon Frank.
They can certainly make you laugh & cry.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 3:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

They can certainly make you laugh & cry.

Reg. Frank R.
Sure do...and that's the memories we have to hold onto.

I've quoted mum many times on here...it was when I said we were immigrants in the US...she said 'of course you're not immigrants...you're British'.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like she's doing well, Frank
Old Oct 8th 2010, 3:02 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Great news, Frank. So happy to hear that whatever may have been broken, mum's sense of humor is intact!
Old Oct 8th 2010, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear that your mum is still as feisty as ever, even though she's been through the mill over the last couple of weeks. Also glad that you made it back here and just take some time to get your energy levels back and hopefully you can relax over the weekend. Hope that fact that you see she's finally on the mend, has given you some piece of mind and you know she is being well cared for. Keep us posted on her progress. Best wishes to you all
Old Oct 9th 2010, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sure do...and that's the memories we have to hold onto.

I've quoted mum many times on here...it was when I said we were immigrants in the US...she said 'of course you're not immigrants...you're British'.
Funny, very funny. Needed a good laugh. Of course your mother was 100% correct.

Old Oct 26th 2010, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

I was about to to write that my mother, was now in full time Rehab hospital & how well they said she was doing.
Got a call late last night, saying back in A&E hospital with breathing problems. As of now she is stable. Two steps forward, one or two back.

At the moment, I am playing wait & see, from Florida. This is so difficult, 4000 miles away, the worst nightmare for Expats.

Thanks for listening.

Reg. Frank R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.