British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Those intangibles, the things you miss (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/those-intangibles-things-you-miss-927412/)

Pammymoore Aug 23rd 2019 10:55 am

Those intangibles, the things you miss

Hello all,

New here, and happy to be so ! Lived in Canada for almost 30 years, and although I was born here, I grew up in the UK. Arrived here at a crucial point in my life (aged 22) and left a wonderful boy behind.

Fast forward, and that wonderful boy and I have reconnected.

I want nothing more than to return, with my 3 teenagers ( who are desperate for a change from rural NS ) because every time I visit, the pull grows stronger.

I’m sure this has been discussed at length in the past, but I would ask: what are some of those intangibles you long for about the UK ?

For me, it’s got to be being surrounded by history, and a sense of place... the culture, the food, and of course the people. Yet, more than that which I can’t quite define.

Sorry to ramble, but would love your thoughts :)

durham_lad Aug 23rd 2019 3:40 pm

Re: Those intangibles, the things you miss

Originally Posted by Pammymoore (Post 12726459)

For me, it’s got to be being surrounded by history, and a sense of place... the culture, the food, and of course the people. Yet, more than that which I can’t quite define.

Sorry to ramble, but would love your thoughts :)

Yep, that about sums it up for us also. We spent 29 years living in the USA, no complaints we had a great time, and moved back to England in 2016 for this and also family.

Today was typical of why we love being back. From our house we walked 9 miles round trip along the Cleveland Way to a quirky cafe in a village owned by the daughter of a friend. First visit but it will now become a regular spot to have breakfast or lunch, though we won't always walk the full 4.5 miles there and back. Just after we got back my sister called round bringing some dressed crab from a bunch of 5 that her husband had been given the day before by a work mate. We picked a bag full of mange toutes and heritage french beans from our garden for her to take back, then we sat and chatted over coffee and biscuits.

On the walk today we passed loads of great spots to pick blackberries starting about a mile from the house so tomorrow we'll walk into town for breakfast, then go picking blackberries. We just love the lifestyle we have returned to.

Albert_dock Aug 24th 2019 5:16 am

We have just arrived back in the US after another trip to the UK. Every time we go it just re enforces our desire to move back. We’ve been 30 years in California and loved it, but just feel it’s time to return home, and are slowly doing what it takes to make the move in the future. We love how in an hour you can be in a completely different place where as here your barely out the same zip code. The people on this forum have been extremely informative on all aspects of a move back. Good luck.

curleytops Aug 25th 2019 7:10 am

I'm guessing you're about the same age I was when I re-connected with my own wonderful boy from long ago. I emigrated to Canada as a child and lived there 45 years before returning. I experienced feelings much like you describe. A renewed sense of belonging brings with it an inner peace not felt in years. We've faced many hurdles together over the past 8 years but this is home and being home with someone you love counts for a lot. All the best with your move.

curleytops Aug 25th 2019 7:15 am

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12726573)
Yep, that about sums it up for us also. We spent 29 years living in the USA, no complaints we had a great time, and moved back to England in 2016 for this and also family.

Today was typical of why we love being back. From our house we walked 9 miles round trip along the Cleveland Way to a quirky cafe in a village owned by the daughter of a friend. First visit but it will now become a regular spot to have breakfast or lunch, though we won't always walk the full 4.5 miles there and back. Just after we got back my sister called round bringing some dressed crab from a bunch of 5 that her husband had been given the day before by a work mate. We picked a bag full of mange toutes and heritage french beans from our garden for her to take back, then we sat and chatted over coffee and biscuits.

On the walk today we passed loads of great spots to pick blackberries starting about a mile from the house so tomorrow we'll walk into town for breakfast, then go picking blackberries. We just love the lifestyle we have returned to.

Is it just me or are the blackberries early this year? I noticed them starting to ripen nicely in some of the hedgerows around here just the other day. There's a public footpath up the side of the field behind our house that yields a lot of berries - blackberries, elderberries, hawthorne. I might have to get out and check on this years crop!

sun burnt in aus Aug 25th 2019 8:07 am

I miss that there's an adventure around every bend in the road. You could be on a country lane with 10' hedges leaning in on both sides and then come across a 16c french built castle ruin to lurk around in, and have a lovely tea at the cafe just a few yards away.

The pubs, the pubs. Oh my gosh, the pubs. The new world has no idea what makes a good pub

I miss the millenniums history of human civilisation and the culture that comes from it. They're like fine wine; they need to age to be the best they can be.

I could go on and on.

durham_lad Aug 25th 2019 8:16 am

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 12727065)
Is it just me or are the blackberries early this year? I noticed them starting to ripen nicely in some of the hedgerows around here just the other day. There's a public footpath up the side of the field behind our house that yields a lot of berries - blackberries, elderberries, hawthorne. I might have to get out and check on this years crop!

The blackberries are actually a bit later around here than last year. Our favourite spot close to us we nearly missed last year as they were all out in July. This July we walked up with our boxes in our bags but they were nowhere close to being ready so we continued up through the woods to the moor and picked a load of bilberries instead.

Yesterday we picked another 3 big boxes of blackberries without much effort or going very far from the house.
Today we drove a few miles in the car to the coast, at Saltburn, parked up and walked down through through the valley gardens and are now enjoying coffee and Cumberland sausage sandwiches in the sunshine at 9 in the morning. Love it here.

curleytops Aug 25th 2019 2:23 pm

Now that's my idea of how to spend a Sunday morning! We were out back in a nice shady corner before it got to hot; looking north over the Tyne Valley there's a lot of haze and a faint scent of smoke; there must be a fire burning somewhere which is a bit surprising after all the rain we've had. I thought perhaps we might get a visit from our horse neighbour this morning; he often comes to the fence mooching for a carrot but I guess he had other plans today.

Jerseygirl Aug 25th 2019 2:30 pm

One word...”comfort’.

It fits like an old glove.

durham_lad Aug 25th 2019 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12727222)
One word...”comfort’.

It fits like an old glove.

:goodpost:

BEVS Aug 25th 2019 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by sun burnt in aus (Post 12727077)
I miss that there's an adventure around every bend in the road.

I miss that too.