Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to UK from Florida - soon!

Thinking of moving to UK from Florida - soon!

Old May 19th 2010, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Brit in FL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving to UK from Florida - soon!

My husband is a US citizen, I'm a UK one. I'm currently on an L1 visa which expires on July 31 10 - (we got married last month). After taking my hubby to the UK last Christmas, he fell in love with the place and we've talked about moving there as Florida doesnt have as much "dimension".

Anyway, we've talked about maybe moving before my visa expires (saves applying for a Green C if we're going to move anyway) and he's up for the idea. He's an attorney over here, and I'm not sure how easy it's going to be for him to find a job - we're flexible on the area. We've researched and it looks as if he'll either have to find a job in a US firm or requalify as a solicitor. We'll consider both options.

Obviously, that gives a little over two months to plan the move. We have an absolutely BEAUTIFUL house over here which is one of the major factors holding me back...aside from that I've been homesick for pretty much of my stay in FL - we're both in our 30's and feel we'd like to live a bit more...

Has anyone made the move back to the UK from FL and absolutely regretted it? I'm so torn!!
Old May 20th 2010, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

moonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant future
Default Re: Thinking of moving to UK from Florida - soon!

Am not from Florida but can understand where you're coming from on this - I'm in the same position with a house that I like and have done work to in the garden etc, even though I don't enjoy living in Australia. So I vacillate about letting it all go ... have you thought about renting yours out for a year and putting your furniture etc in storage while you give England a try? People on here are saying just give it a go and you only have one life.
Old May 20th 2010, 3:30 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Do you want to become a US citizen before you leave?

Is living somewhere else in the USA an option you have considered?
Old May 20th 2010, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Yes, we're looking at the renting option as well as selling - I'm dubious about renting though as I don't think renters will look after the property as well...

In regards to citizenship - I've not yet applied for my GC as I'm here on an L1 which exp at end of July. We're were thinking of holding off on the application as we want to move, and don't want to spend the time and expense of the process. However, I need to look at another way I can stay here instead of the GC for a few more months after the L1 expires so we're not pressuring ourselves.

We considered locating to Northern Calif / San Fran (We got married there two weeks ago and fell in love with the place); however the cost of living is extortianate from what we know...

I miss the UK alot, and no matter how nice my house is and the great friends I have, I just don't feel as if I'm home...weird hey?
Old May 20th 2010, 3:59 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit in FL
My husband is a US citizen, I'm a UK one. I'm currently on an L1 visa which expires on July 31 10 - (we got married last month). After taking my hubby to the UK last Christmas, he fell in love with the place and we've talked about moving there as Florida doesnt have as much "dimension".
Anyway, we've talked about maybe moving before my visa expires (saves applying for a Green C if we're going to move anyway) and he's up for the idea. He's an attorney over here, and I'm not sure how easy it's going to be for him to find a job - we're flexible on the area. We've researched and it looks as if he'll either have to find a job in a US firm or requalify as a solicitor. We'll consider both options.

Obviously, that gives a little over two months to plan the move. We have an absolutely BEAUTIFUL house over here which is one of the major factors holding me back...aside from that I've been homesick for pretty much of my stay in FL - we're both in our 30's and feel we'd like to live a bit more...

Has anyone made the move back to the UK from FL and absolutely regretted it? I'm so torn!!
That's an understatement.
Old May 20th 2010, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

Please tell!
Old May 20th 2010, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Leave some doors open.
Old May 20th 2010, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, very hard to say what to do.....by the sounds of it, this is coming down to the good old "Stuff vs Quality of Life" debate.

I'm currently fairly happy in Florida...but in a slightly different scenario as my wife is from here, my daughter was born here, other family on my wife's side are around.

However, I can empathize with the thoughts that the UK is better socially. But - maybe just a change of place in the US might fix that? I'd consider options either way - most likely it will come down to where the best job offer is for your husband and where you can find work, I'd have thought.
Old May 20th 2010, 4:41 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Please tell!
Well, I tend to think of Florida as being a bit sterile, culturally and geographically (especially compared to the UK).

I have to admit I do like the Forgotten Coast, though.
Old May 21st 2010, 4:55 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Many Americans have rather varying opinions on the quality of life in Florida...fwiw

But that said, I would suggest that if you want to go with Plan A which is moving back to the UK that you also prepare a Plan B and Plan C. Visiting the UK and "falling in love with the place" is not the same as living there and dealing with the day-to-day bits of life that are foreign and strange and will likely cause your husband a few moments of "what have I done". The US expat in the UK website is filled to the brim with Americans who have visited, fell in love with the UK (or someone there) and then moved and are now ready to commit suicide. In addition, this own board is filled with folks who went back only to realize "home" is not necessarily the "home" they thought it was.

I'd encourage you to think about moving elsewhere in the US, at least getting a green card, or encouraging your husband to get a UK firm job first before moving. A few options and alternative arrangements might make the adjustment far smoother, knowing that he is settled or that you have an escape (if needed).

Here's a good forum for the paperwork your hubby will need (Visas and whatnot)
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?board=17.0

And here is there homesickness board, which might make you laugh or cringe.
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?board=68.0

Good luck with your decision.
Old May 21st 2010, 5:19 am
magistrate

magistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nice

I understand completely ,I moved back to England last year after living and working in Florida for 12 years .I had a gorgeous home which has taken a lifetime to sell and which I had to accept a very low sale price as I had no money in the UK.
My own situation was different as I had a serious health problem ,did not have health insurance and needed to get back to family in the UK .
I have been back now 9 months and came back to the coldest snowiest Winter in 12 years but you know I loved it ,the Florida Summers ,snakes and bugs were always tough to get along with .12 years away from the uk meant it was hard to get established again and indeed things have changed but I have noticed people seem nicer here these days ,food prices are good and even a warm Summer forecast !.
Listen to your inner self ,gut instinct and if it feels right do it ,I was forced to make a quick decision to move back to the Uk, I have no regrets about my time in Florida but I do know as you get older certain things will pull you back home to your own country .
I wish you the best of British luck whatever you decide
Old May 21st 2010, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the feedback!

My husband is in the process of applying for a job - although it's pretty difficult from here due to not being able to attend interviews immediately etc. I've only been in FL for about 3 years and lived in the UK prior, so I know that there are also pitfalls - however I think we'd probably look at relocating to Bath / Somerset area (commutable from Bristol) if we were to move back - (I'm originally from N Mids).

The only other place we'd consider in the US is N Calif - but it's far too expensive there for us to afford. We're off to New York for the w/end shortly so maybe we'll be thinking differently by the time we come back...
Old May 21st 2010, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there.

Here is my take on it. I haven't done as much research as you but I think your husband would probably have to take the Qualified Lawyers Transfer Test (QLTT). This is a pretty straightforward process and it might be possible to get sponsorship to take it if he gets a job offer. Getting a job is a US firm in the UK would be competitive and it would probably be based in London where the cost of living is probably close to what it is in North California. If he took the test however he would be better placed to get a job in Bristol where house prices are cheaper (i'd imagine Bath is London prices).

Bank balance would probably take a hit (I've found moving countries/immigration stuff) to be very expensive. You would almost certainly be living in a smaller house. On the other hand the area you are planning on living is beautiful.

Experience of American expats living in the UK; I know about 3 of them very well including my wife. All of them long to move back to the U.S for a whole host of reasons but I think only my wife will be the one making the move as the others are generally happy. I think that's a typical expat thing; torn between two places.
Old May 21st 2010, 4:35 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

The only other place we'd consider in the US is N Calif - but it's far too expensive there for us to afford. We're off to New York for the w/end shortly so maybe we'll be thinking differently by the time we come back...
Unfortunately, New York is also very expensive. The city is the most expensive place in the country except for SF, and even when you get out into the suburbs it's still costly.

Moving from Florida, everything would give you sticker shock. It's not just that housing is expensive (although it is) and that property taxes are through the roof (which they are). It's that everything costs more here - car insurance, health care, food, utilities (nuts!!), eating out ... a family of 4 making $150,000 is far from well off in New York City and the surrounding areas. Of course, it all depends what you want out of life.

Now if you move up to the north of the state, you can get bargains. But up there it's cold and quite rural with not much going on.

We've been looking at a possible move somewhere else in the US and the best areas for affordability and access to signs of life seem to be Portland OR and the area around Portsmouth NH. They're still not as cheap as, say Boise Idaho, but they're more reasonable than here and seem like interesting places.

Last edited by sallysimmons; May 21st 2010 at 4:37 pm.
Old May 21st 2010, 6:29 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

I moved back to Uk after living in Florida for 45 years!!! ( went there when I was 5).
I have no regrets except that I wish I had done it sooner. I dont miss the heat or the bugs or the boring suburban neighbourhoods. I dont miss the gun or drug culture that was really growing in Jacksonville anyway. Although I do know that there are nicer places, you just have to look for them.
My American husband loves it here, as do my children. My dogs and cat love it here as well. No drowning them in flea medication.
It's fantastic to be back!!
We came back in November, and it was actually a very nice difference to have a proper winter with snow! I enjoy summer more as well, as we lived in air con in Florida. Now we do more walking and actually get out more in summer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.