Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving back to Uk, need your thoughts and advice!

Thinking of moving back to Uk, need your thoughts and advice!

Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

gypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Thinking of moving back to Uk, need your thoughts and advice!

Oh no I do miss home and England, I just dont see it through rose tinted specs lol. I know it has alot of problems, thats one reason we left. Sometimes you dont realise what you have until its not there any more.

Work dont pay enough now, I was trying to work out how we could afford to save up enough to go back and I cant see how we can save that much a month. If we had the money I still think we would want to leave though. I miss family and freinds, no money could change that, unless we flew back every weekend. We want to travel and the $ isnt strong enough for us to do that.
Hubby is in computers, he can work in most cities, but we want land as we homestead. We cant afford to live any closer to the city here, in England we could. We really cant even think about London, I keep wanting to so he can keep his job, but I just dont see as we can afford it. I used to live there and it was crazy then.

We were offered a job in Canada before here, so we took this one instead. It is supposed to be more like the Uk but I think it would be even colder than here, which is one of the reasons we dont like it here, is the extreme weather.
It still doesnt solve the family problem. Nz / Aus is even futher and more money to get back to visit family, so we havent thought any further about that. We have been here for 3-4 years now, it will be very weird going back and then having to leave again. Not sure how Im going to deal with that if I decide I just dont want to come back here

For the flights we have 4 adult tickets, 1 child and the baby. Its the darn taxes that cripple you, just when you think you have found a cheap ticket they stick them on top!

I just need help to bounce it around my head and you all are great at bringing up things we hadnt thought of and support, to help us choose where we want to live.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 7:13 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

There are places in the UK where you can have the country life. Just outside Newcastle for example there is plenty of nice country and some nice small towns and hamlets. All within commuting distance. Traffic is crazing but that's every where now. Sage has just built a huge futuristic new complex next to the A1 motorway. Sorry don't know if they are looking for some one but i am just giving you ideas.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

gypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You don't...try a different DMV office. You don't have to give up your UK licence too.

BTW even if you did have to take a driving test...my daughter's test was driving a couple of hundred yards in an empty car park. Then parking between 2 traffic cones about 100 yds apart. Come on...have you seen the drivers on NJ roads...do you think they could possibly pass any sort of vaguely difficult driving test?
Its actually law that you give up your Uk licence here. They use it as a credit towards the Us one. You have to ask them not to destroy it if you think you will want it back
Old Jun 15th 2007, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gypsygirl
Its actually law that you give up your Uk licence here. They use it as a credit towards the Us one. You have to ask them not to destroy it if you think you will want it back
I believe a lot of people when asked for their UK licence have "lost" it. If you "loose" your licence and get a replacement , you could always find the original when you need it
Old Jun 15th 2007, 9:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You live in the same state as me....I've still got my UK license...I didn't hand it over...nobody does. I didn't say I'd lost it because you have to show it as proof that you can drive.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

If you came over pre 9/11 maybe thats why they didnt get yours. You dont get a choice they take it off you when you go for the test.
Any which way, we still cant afford another car, so its all besides the point lol

Last edited by gypsygirl; Jun 15th 2007 at 9:30 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 9:45 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

I got my MD license a couple of years back - I kept my UK one, they only wanted to see it to find out how long it was valid for, the length of validity of my MD license was based on that.

Do you have a link to this 'law'?
Old Jun 15th 2007, 10:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
I got my MD license a couple of years back - I kept my UK one, they only wanted to see it to find out how long it was valid for, the length of validity of my MD license was based on that.

Do you have a link to this 'law'?
Most states have this 'law' but it's not enforced.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 10:23 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Most states have this 'law' but it's not enforced.
According to the NJ MVC: "You are not required to surrender your foreign license when MVC issues your New Jersey driver license."
Old Jun 16th 2007, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Hmm well that raises even more problems, as they did take ours :curse:
Its in all the paperwork etc that they take it.

Still cant afford another car so doesnt help me anyway
Old Jun 16th 2007, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Dexterdude is a jewel in the roughDexterdude is a jewel in the roughDexterdude is a jewel in the roughDexterdude is a jewel in the roughDexterdude is a jewel in the rough

I have been accused of being 'naive' on here because I have never left the UK. (My choice) - but I genuinely feel sorry for anyone who feels they want, or need to come home. Conversely, I am very happy for those who have made a new life abroad. For a number of deep, psychological reasons people might want to put you off coming home - jealousy, insecurity - or just to satisfy themselves that they have made 'The Right Choice' ( even if they are only fooling themselves). This may be 'naive' as regards the practicalities and logistics of coming home but, in the brief window we are given in life, I dare to suggest that everyone has a right to 'belong' somewhere - this does not nessecarily involve sunshine, 'barbies' and scenic aethstetics ........

A Whitby Diary
Old Jun 16th 2007, 6:54 pm
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

First you need to decide whether you want to go back or stay. You left because you didn't like UK, now you are thinking you would like to return.

You have 6 acres, have you considered selling a few acres. Not only would that give you money in your pocket but it would reduce the upkeep of the land.

Also a while back there was thread where somebody asked if anybody returned to UK skint. There were several replies and one couple went back with just 500 GBP and made it.

Regarding opening a UK account as previously said, can't you use a relative's address. Another option would be to open an offshore account in Channel Islands or Isle of Man.

Where there's a will, there's a way however hard it might seem.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 6:57 pm
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

Sorry, I just remembered you said you don't want to rent a house in UK because of previous bad experience.

Don't write that off, it may be your only option to start with. Lots of folks have to rent on their return and if you go a good estate agent you should have a better experience.