Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving back to the UK...but still not super sure...

Thinking of moving back to the UK...but still not super sure...

Old Aug 12th 2019, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving back to the UK...but still not super sure...

Originally Posted by shokwaverider
Yes, Alan, I saw the photos you posted, your location looks very nice. From what I remember, an added benefit for you is Family access. We do not have such a requirement as all our family is now either gone or in Canada or Malta. I am originally from the South, and am partial to that area. According to Rightmove our budget would get is something comparable to your place (Hopefully), and be relatively close to the beaches also. We need to pull our fingers out and do a house hunting trip in the UK, but I am somewhat more analytical in my old age, and need a lot of data before any life changing decisions are made. Plus it is kind of fun doing the research too.
You are all set then, from previous posts I had the impression that house prices down south were too high for you.

The majority of our family is in Edinburgh, Durham and Cheshire so living up here gives us easy access. Last month 5 of us met at my BIL's house in Cheshire and we all flew from Manchester to the South of France (Uzes) for a great 2 weeks in a house rented from a friend. The month before that we took a trip to the Scilly Isles with a couple of friends from here. Train down to Penzance then short flight to St Mary's. In November we will taking Eurostar to Paris with our son and meeting up with our daughter in Paris (she lives in LA). The smallness of the country and proximity to Europe is very convenient.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

shokwaverider is an unknown quantity at this point

How have folks dealt with Car Insurance upon returning to the UK? I reads somewhere that it was hard to transfer one's no claims bonus from one country to another. We have over 30 years of driving in the USA.

This probably deserves to have it's own thread, but I thought the OP may be interested also.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shokwaverider
How have folks dealt with Car Insurance upon returning to the UK? I reads somewhere that it was hard to transfer one's no claims bonus from one country to another. We have over 30 years of driving in the USA.

This probably deserves to have it's own thread, but I thought the OP may be interested also.
Lots of mentions of Aviva here which is what my son used on his return. He was with Geico in the USA and they were happy to provide a pdf statement of his No Claims record that Aviva accepted. Aviva's website gives the information they want to see in the letter plus they need to see a copy of the USA insurance certificate.

All done online with the USA documents uploaded.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I am also thinking about moving back to the UK but purely for financial reasons. If the pound falls to parity with the dollar my financial situation will be much better than it is in the US. One concern is how busy the UK can be, but I think starting away from the South east can resolve that issue. I am also not sure how much food prices have increased. Having no mortgage, a significant amount of money in the bank and no healthcare costs could probably mean I can retire earlier than planned.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"No such thing as bad weather. Just inappropriate clothing" So said a Scottish comic who spent many years in California.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 4:46 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by scot47
"No such thing as bad weather. Just inappropriate clothing" So said a Scottish comic who spent many years in California.
I agree.

I'd far rather a moody UK sky than the merciless instant burning sun we have here.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Going back to the OP, I was very interested to see it was she, the American partner, who missed some of the things in UK that so many expat Brits—like me— also missed so much in USA: the history, the architecture, being able to take the train to so many places, being able to walk to many places.
And there is also this:
QUOTE: I hardly ever see my US family and we haven't had a vacation since we lived in the UK fifteen years ago. All my husband does is work so we can pay our bills and work some more. I'd love for my kids to have the kind of life that their cousins in the UK have--being able to experience the history and culture, being able to travel, and not worrying about practicing active shooter drills in elementary school.

This about the vacations, or lack of, in the USA, plus the other lifestyle issues the OP mentions, plus the fact she says her gut is telling her it's the right thing to do, make me lean towards saying, yes, find a way to do it. If those things are important to you, plus the availability of health care (despite appalling waiting times and all sorts of problems, the NHS still provides some level of security vs the USA, as several others have mentioned), it's a question of lifestyle and living the sort of life that makes you feel happy and fulfilled. If the American partner, like dear Bill Bryson, also appreciates those things about the UK that the UK partners so often mention nostalgically, and since she has lived in the UK before (although a while ago) and so knows what it's like, and the husband is in afield where there are jobs, I think this family looks as if they'd make a successful transition back.
Support for the daughter's mental health etc is an important issue and I think this was addressed above by another poster. I think support for such issues varies widely according to location, both in US and UK.
In all of this I'm assuming that by "Dual national" she means dual US/UK so visa etc isn't an issue.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 1:45 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I am also thinking about moving back to the UK but purely for financial reasons. If the pound falls to parity with the dollar my financial situation will be much better than it is in the US. One concern is how busy the UK can be, but I think starting away from the South east can resolve that issue. I am also not sure how much food prices have increased. Having no mortgage, a significant amount of money in the bank and no healthcare costs could probably mean I can retire earlier than planned.
Is that for a one-off movement of money or a continuing flow? As you know, Fx can change and once Brexit is shown to been the boon to the UK that we all know it will be, Sterling is likely to rise again.