Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving back to the UK...but still not super sure...

Thinking of moving back to the UK...but still not super sure...

Old Aug 12th 2019, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving back to the UK...but still not super sure...

Originally Posted by Moses2013
If you are already worried about weather, you will always end up miserable. If you are looking for the best of both worlds and have that amount of money to spend, why not look at cheaper parts of the country and use the rest of the money to buy a holiday home for the winter months.
+1

If you are complaining about the weather before even coming here and you can afford to live in places like Florida then don’t even think about moving back.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

Weather in france, and uk is really rainy and cloudy compared to US weather anywhere!

I can see how news of crimes ramps up the fear in both countries.

If your children are moving there, that though is a significant reason to go I would think.

Best wishes, sounds a difficult decision atm.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

shokwaverider is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by durham_lad

+1

If you are complaining about the weather before even coming here and you can afford to live in places like Florida then don’t even think about moving back.
Not the answer I was expecting from you Alan, you did not get the point. I was not complaining. I am concerned is all that it will be hard to get used to such a sharp contrast and was looking for some input as to a compromising location.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

If you are already worried about weather, you will always end up miserable. If you are looking for the best of both worlds and have that amount of money to spend, why not look at cheaper parts of the country and use the rest of the money to buy a holiday home for the winter months.
Not sure why we would be miserable, we never have been before and have lived in some very cold and rainy places, we simply choose not to anymore. Admittedly they were some extremes, we are trying to locate a compromise. Just asking for input from in theory experienced folk so we can make a decision. Yes we could have alternate homes, but we do not want to maintain 2 homes. We could do the same from here also if we wanted. Besides to get a nicer home in the UK it does get expensive.

Last edited by shokwaverider; Aug 12th 2019 at 1:08 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shokwaverider
Not sure why we would be miserable, we never have been before and have lived in some very cold and rainy places, we simply choose not to anymore. Admittedly they were some extremes, we are trying to locate a compromise. Just asking for input from in theory experienced folk so we can make a decision. Yes we could have alternate homes, but we do not want to maintain 2 homes. We could do the same from here also if we wanted. Besides to get a nicer home in the UK it does get expensive.
You wrote "For us the main issue with the UK would be the weather as stated earlier. We are so used to the Florida weather and all the sunshine, being walking distance to the beach helps too" BUT the weather, not sure I can take 4 - 6 months of overcast drizzle
If the main issue is weather for you, the only solution is to either leave it, or split time between two countries. Even if you focus on sunniest locations, what you are looking for doesn't exist and winter is winter. If it has to be UK, you would be far better off picking locations where you can get a nice home for 200K and then buy another villa for 200K, rather than spending 500k or 600K on one home.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

If the main issue is weather for you, the only solution is to either leave it, or split time between two countries. Even if you focus on sunniest locations, what you are looking for doesn't exist and winter is winter. If it has to be UK, you would be far better off picking locations where you can get a nice home for 200K and then buy another villa for 200K, rather than spending 500k or 600K on one home.
Ah OK, I get your point. I have lived in the UK for 29 years prior to moving, so I am familiar with it. Albeit Outer West London by LHR. Unfortunately we are too old to think about owning 2 homes. Maybe renting in perhaps Malta for a few months in the dreary seasons may be an alternative.

Old Aug 12th 2019, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah OK, I get your point. I have lived in the UK for 29 years prior to moving, so I am familiar with it. Albeit Outer West London by LHR. Unfortunately we are too old to think about owning 2 homes. Maybe renting in perhaps Malta for a few months in the dreary seasons may be an alternative.
My point is that even if you look at the sunniest locations during summer, the difference between let's say Cardiff and Canterbury in Kent is minimal. You might get the 2 or 3 sunnier so called heat wave days in Kent and it's on average maybe 2-3 degrees milder, but it won't be life changing and the biggest problem will always be winter for you.
Of course you always have the option of renting in Malta/Spain/ Portugal etc. If you can save 200K on property, use that for extended holidays.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

My point is that even if you look at the sunniest locations during summer, the difference between let's say Cardiff and Canterbury in Kent is minimal. You might get the 2 or 3 sunnier so called heat wave days in Kent and it's on average maybe 2-3 degrees milder, but it won't be life changing and the biggest problem will always be winter for you.
Of course you always have the option of renting in Malta/Spain/ Portugal etc. If you can save 200K on property, use that for extended holidays.
Yes thanks I do get your point, but we would prefer a nicer home base on the edge of or in a nice village, then we can access the sunnier winter climes to the south at will. One of the draws to the UK vs the US is that one can drive to so much diversity vs having to fly. We will most likely wait till after Brexit anyway, and even the 2020 elections.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Not the answer I was expecting from you Alan, you did not get the point. I was not complaining. I am concerned is all that it will be hard to get used to such a sharp contrast and was looking for some input as to a compromising location.
Do you think actually moving back will stop you talking about the crap weather? You have only been on the site just over a month and have talked about the crap weather here at least 3 times. On the other site you and I frequent you also talk about the weather in the UK being a barrier to you moving back.

For us the main issue with the UK would be the weather as stated earlier. We are so used to the Florida weather and all the sunshine, being walking distance to the beach helps too.
My only concern would be the crappy UK Weather
Where is the weather mildest in the UK? Or is good weather in the same sentence as the UK an oxymoron? That is our kicker, we currently live in Florida (15 years) and before that SoCAL (14 years). So we are official Weather wimps and completely spoilt.
Yes it is still cold and rainy since you last lived here and housing in the south is still, or even more, expensive. House prices are much cheaper "up north" but it is even colder. I think you are correct in your assessment above that the sharp contrast will be very hard and a huge change from where you currently live in Florida. I think healthcare costs are your main concern in Florida but you can't be too far away from Medicare age now so why not stick it out for a few years.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

I think healthcare costs are your main concern in Florida but you can't be too far away from Medicare age now so why not stick it out for a few years.
I am on Medicare, DW is not, but she is not a UK Citizen either. I do agree with you. Weather is the biggie for both of us, HC is second. The big decision at the moment is swapping the beach for the UK countryside, and the countryside is winning, at least theoretically. In order for it to be green, there are compromises. Another point, is that is great to have choices, it is interesting evaluating all the options too. We will not stop doing that even if it means repeating ourselves occasionally.

Last edited by shokwaverider; Aug 12th 2019 at 2:32 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am on Medicare, DW is not, but she is not a UK Citizen either. I do agree with you. Weather is the biggie for both of us, HC is second. The big decision at the moment is swapping the beach for the UK countryside, and the countryside is winning. In order for it to be green, there are compromises.
Technically you can get both in the UK (Beach & Countryside).
Old Aug 12th 2019, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Technically you can get both in the UK (Beach & Countryside).
Yes, I know. I am a "Sussex Kid" as my dad used to call me when I was young. The Bognor Regis area comes to mind.

Last edited by shokwaverider; Aug 12th 2019 at 2:51 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Oh, another BIG pull to the UK is the great rail system that services pretty much the whole of the UK, and access to Europe via the Tunnel. That makes up for a lot of weather gripes.

Last edited by shokwaverider; Aug 12th 2019 at 3:00 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am on Medicare, DW is not, but she is not a UK Citizen either. I do agree with you. Weather is the biggie for both of us, HC is second. The big decision at the moment is swapping the beach for the UK countryside, and the countryside is winning, at least theoretically. In order for it to be green, there are compromises. Another point, is that is great to have choices, it is interesting evaluating all the options too. We will not stop doing that even if it means repeating ourselves occasionally.
You could have fabulous beaches, marvelous countryside and affordable housing if you can put up with the weather and don't actually want to swim in the sea but enjoy miles of sandy beaches with cliffs towering hundreds of feet over them. We bought a very nice 4 bedroom, 2 full bathrooms detached house on the edge of the N. York Moors National Park for £375k. The views from our front room are towards the moors, and a 30 minute walk, climbing up to 1,050' is the start of the moors. Council tax is £2,400/year. We actually live 5 miles inland but there are plenty of towns on the coast that are also in the N. Yorks Moors National Park. (I tried to upload a photo from our front door but it doesn't seem to want to attach to the post)

Further north into Northumberland is more beautiful countryside and fabulous beaches.

Last edited by durham_lad; Aug 12th 2019 at 2:55 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

You could have fabulous beaches, marvelous countryside and affordable housing if you can put up with the weather and don't actually want to swim in the sea but enjoy miles of sandy beaches with cliffs towering hundreds of feet over them. We bought a very nice 4 bedroom, 2 full bathrooms detached house on the edge of the N. Yorks National Park for £375k. The views from our front room are towards the moors, and a 30 minute walk, climbing up to 1,050' is the start of the moors. Council tax is £2,400/year. We actually live 5 miles inland but there are plenty of towns on the coast that are also in the N. Yorks Moors National Park. (I tried to upload a photo from our front door but it doesn't seem to want to attach to the post)

Further north into Northumberland is more beautiful countryside and fabulous beaches.
Yes, Alan, I saw the photos you posted, your location looks very nice. From what I remember, an added benefit for you is Family access. We do not have such a requirement as all our family is now either gone or in Canada or Malta. I am originally from the South, and am partial to that area. According to Rightmove our budget would get is something comparable to your place (Hopefully), and be relatively close to the beaches also. We need to pull our fingers out and do a house hunting trip in the UK, but I am somewhat more analytical in my old age, and need a lot of data before any life changing decisions are made. Plus it is kind of fun doing the research too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.