British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Thinking of moving back to the u.k (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/thinking-moving-back-u-k-922402/)

Salsa32 Feb 24th 2019 2:10 pm

Thinking of moving back to the u.k

Hello, looking to get some advice maybe some reassurance.

I have lived in Canada for 12 years I have a 6 year old and 3 year old Both born in Canada.
All of my family live back home and I miss them dearly.
I am really wanting to make the move this year but I feel almost guilty for taking my children away from everything they know here.
I guess I’m just wondering if others have made the move, don’t regret it and that their kids have settled in happily.
any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Elnino05 Feb 24th 2019 8:18 pm

Re: Thinking of moving back to the u.k

I will be following this thread closely. I am thinking of making the move next year too. Been here almost 3 years but thinking of going back home. I would just wait out on citizenship. I think the kids would be fine.They would adjust as they are still young. It’s allabout where feels like home. Grateful for the opportunity to experience Canada. Would be doing a lot of visiting in the future but it’s not worked for me to call it home. Best of luck in your journey.

zoexr Feb 24th 2019 8:24 pm

I’m in the same boat! My daughter is 4 and a complete Kiwi. She’s happiest barefoot and in the sunshine. Meanwhile I’m in the shade trying not to get sunstroke!
We are going to move back as soon as my husband has secured a job. We are feeling incredibly guilty about uprooting her but happy parents trump sunshine don’t they?!?!
I’m hoping this is normal ‘parent guilt’ within an anxious context of moving across the world.

Elnino05 Feb 25th 2019 2:42 am

[QUOTE=zoexr;12643136]
I’m in the same boat! My daughter is 4 and a complete Kiwi. She’s happiest barefoot and in the sunshine. Meanwhile I’m in the shade trying not to get sunstroke!
We are going to move back as soon as my husband has secured a job. We are feeling incredibly guilty about uprooting her but happy parents trump sunshine don’t they?!?!
I’m hoping this is normal ‘parent guilt’ within an anxious context of moving across the world.
[/QUOTE

Absolutely normal to feel guilty but happy parents trumps everything!! You will be fine. I am in the exact boat in Canada. All the best!

Moses2013 Feb 25th 2019 8:32 am

Originally Posted by zoexr (Post 12643136)
She’s happiest barefoot and in the sunshine. Meanwhile I’m in the shade trying not to get sunstroke!

Be careful what you wish for:sarcasm: Still winter and parts of the UK might see 20C today with plenty of sunshine.

brits1 Feb 25th 2019 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 12643360)
Be careful what you wish for:sarcasm: Still winter and parts of the UK might see 20C today with plenty of sunshine.

Hi I am currently sat in our back garden in a t shirt and shirts...our Aussie (our pet dogam and my baby lol) is panting away and in the shade lol
Seriously though happy parents is what really counts , they may be too young at the moment to gauge that your not very happy but in time they may do and then their lives may not be so very happy, Good luck and don't forget children are very good at adapting....

spouse of scouse Feb 25th 2019 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 12643507)
Hi I am currently sat in our back garden in a t shirt and shirts...our Aussie (our pet dogam and my baby lol) is panting away and in the shade lol

I hope you have something on your bottom half to go with that t shirt and shirt :p I can't believe the lovely weather you're having! You'll be pleased to hear that your old stomping ground of Perth was 37 today :cry_smile:

Salsa32 Feb 25th 2019 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Elnino05 (Post 12643126)
I will be following this thread closely. I am thinking of making the move next year too. Been here almost 3 years but thinking of going back home. I would just wait out on citizenship. I think the kids would be fine.They would adjust as they are still young. It’s allabout where feels like home. Grateful for the opportunity to experience Canada. Would be doing a lot of visiting in the future but it’s not worked for me to call it home. Best of luck in your journey.

I have also decided to apply for citizenship it may take up to 12 months but it’s worth the wait as you never know what the future holds. Kids returning etc.
thank you and best of luck to you also

Salsa32 Feb 25th 2019 3:58 pm

Yes definitely better to be happy. I think we have parent guilt over every decision we make � ���� all the best to you and your family

Salsa32 Feb 25th 2019 4:00 pm

Thank you � ����

Derwig Feb 25th 2019 5:18 pm

We're pretty much in the same boat, have been here for just over 7 years but have come to the conclusion that we would rather head back to the UK than stay in Canada (Ontario). My wife is Canadian, but lived in the UK for 6 years prior to us heading over here in 2011 and is keen to head back. She has a sister that lives in the UK, so that's a draw, plus we both miss the variety that the UK & Europe has to offer; we just don't feel at home here in Canada.

We have two kids one 5 year old in SK, and a one year old so they should adapt quickly. Myself and the children both have Canadian & UK citizenship, and my wife can get a UK ancestry visa for 5 years...so heading back won't be a problem in that regard.

Our house goes on the market next week, so hopefully we'll get what we want for it, and then start the process of booking movers etc.

We still wonder if we're doing the right thing for the kids, but overall I think it will be a good move.

spouse of scouse Feb 25th 2019 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Derwig (Post 12643667)
We're pretty much in the same boat, have been here for just over 7 years but have come to the conclusion that we would rather head back to the UK than stay in Canada (Ontario). My wife is Canadian, but lived in the UK for 6 years prior to us heading over hear in 2011 and is keen to head back. She has a sister that lives in the UK, so that's a draw, plus we both miss the variety that the UK & Europe has to offer; we just don't feel at home here in Canada.

We have two kids one 5 year old in SK, and a one year old so they should adapt quickly. Myself and the children both have Canadian & UK citizenship, and my wife can get a UK ancestry visa for 5 years...so heading back won't be a problem in that regard.

Our house goes on the market next week, so hopefully we'll get what we want for it, and then start the process of booking movers etc.

We still wonder if we're doing the right thing for the kids, but overall I think it will be a good move.

Hi Derwig, sorry for butting in but I just wanted to make sure that you and your wife realise that the Ancestry visa is a working visa, ie your wife would need to be in employment or looking for employment for the visa validity period of 5 years. After 5 years she can apply to naturalise as a British citizen.

curleytops Feb 25th 2019 5:30 pm

You're wise to wait out your citizenship. From a kid's point of view, I think everyone is different and you can't always predict how a child will cope with a move like this. Having said that, I wouldn't wait too long. I was 8 years old when my parents carted me off to Canada and for me, I think it may have been just a little too late. Initially I was quite happy there but it wasn't to last. I never ever felt like I really belonged there. My sister (2 years my jr.), however, adapted just fine. I returned to England 45 years later and although life back here has had its challenges, I feel as though I've always belonged here.

Derwig Feb 25th 2019 6:34 pm

Yes thanks, we’re aware of that, we just think it’s probably going to be quicker and easier than the spousal visa route. She’s had an ancestry visa before so understands the requirements.

Elnino05 Feb 25th 2019 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Derwig (Post 12643667)
We're pretty much in the same boat, have been here for just over 7 years but have come to the conclusion that we would rather head back to the UK than stay in Canada (Ontario). My wife is Canadian, but lived in the UK for 6 years prior to us heading over here in 2011 and is keen to head back. She has a sister that lives in the UK, so that's a draw, plus we both miss the variety that the UK & Europe has to offer; we just don't feel at home here in Canada.

Hi Derwig

I am just in the same boat. Overall I think it would be a good move for my family. Hopefully we can make this next year. My husband goes first this year with the aim of getting a job from Canada. Prospects looks good at least. The calls are coming in from time to time. Probaby stalling due to Brexit. Brexit or no Brexit Uk is calling. I would wait out the remaining 5 months to qualify for Canadian citizenship for myself and kids. Even though I worry about the kids a lot but I don’t seem happy here and my 9 year old seems smart enough to notice once in a while in as much as I try to hide it. Relocating back would cost a hell lot of money as all our savings was sunk into moving here. But i firmly believe no amount of money can equate happiness at the end. Home is where your heart is. At least when the kids come of age they have the choice of where to live by citizenship and would probably thank me one day. Best of luck to everyone. I hope our dreams come true.