Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Thinking of going back for a year or so

Wikiposts

Thinking of going back for a year or so

Old Sep 11th 2009, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

annalou is just really niceannalou is just really niceannalou is just really niceannalou is just really niceannalou is just really niceannalou is just really niceannalou is just really niceannalou is just really nice
Default Thinking of going back for a year or so

We have been in NZ since late 2003,left the UK shortly after getting married.
We settled in Christchurch and both found jobs and bought a house. Now have two children aged 4 & 1. I have never really felt homesick, my husband has but mainly due to work situation here, he is a welder and says it is completely different here.

Anyway there were redundancies recently at his work, he did not lose his job but with that hanging over us for a while we started to think about going back to UK if he did get made redundant, he is convinced there will be further redundancies in the next few months and is now thinking he may take voluntary if he gets chance. Anyway now we are both thinking we would like to go back to the UK for a couple of years and spend some time with the families while the children are still young, we have contacted some people re work for my husband and the feedback is really positive.

We plan to rent the house out here in NZ,put the furniture in storage and go back for a year or two, to sort of find out where we really want to be, difficult as we did not dislike the UK at all when we were there but had to satisfy the curiosity of living in NZ and it now feels like that for going back to the UK, don't want to get to 70 and think " wish we had tried living at home" etc

My parents are coming out in Feb so they will be here to help us sort the house out etc which will be handy, going to make the most of the kiwi Summer and then hopefully head back for a great British Summer

Has anyone else done this sort of thing? Where they just went back to give it a try, most people seem to pack up everything and head back, whereas we hope to come back to NZ (we have citizenship) in a few years.

Would appreciate any advice/feedback etc

Cheers
Old Sep 11th 2009, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of going back for a year or so

Not something that I have done personally but I think it is a very sensible approach to not burn all your bridges.
Lots of luck
Old Sep 11th 2009, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

annalou is just really niceannalou is just really niceannalou is just really niceannalou is just really niceannalou is just really niceannalou is just really niceannalou is just really niceannalou is just really nice

Yes i feel like i don't want to cut ties but then wonder if we will get a true feeling of being in the UK or whether it is all a bit half hearted, time will tell i suppose.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 10:07 am
Erica

Erica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to all

Originally Posted by annalou
Yes i feel like i don't want to cut ties but then wonder if we will get a true feeling of being in the UK or whether it is all a bit half hearted, time will tell i suppose.
I think it's a great idea. After a couple of years you will really have a good handle on pros and cons on both sides. Also, it will be lovely to be able to have your family share your kids' lives and all the support that they could offer (hopefully!) in these early years. You are not burning bridges and can go back to NZ if you don't like life in the UK. We are planning on doing what you are talking about once I get my US citizenship. Good luck with it all!
Old Sep 13th 2009, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

louH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud of

We went back for 18 months. Our main reason for doing so was to earn enough cash to pay off some of the mortgage and give us more freedom in Oz. I loved those 18 months and really made the best of my time in the UK knowing there was an end date in mind (there is a lot to be said for the "live every day like its your last" motto!)

We came back to Oz once we had saved the cash and I can honestly say the time in the UK was the best thing we did. We worry far less about cash these days and just try to enjoy life a lot more.

All up a very positive experience.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

That is exactly what we are hoping to do, we like it here and really i want the kids to grown up in NZ but we would like to try and get a chunk paid of the mortgage and this seems the best way to do it. Some friends of ours went home from Perth due to health problems, they returned to the UK in September and eventually went back to Perth the following April. I think if we go back and tell ourselves it is just for 1- 2 years we will really enjoy it and perhaps visit places and do things we had never done before. It is great to hear from people who are also thinking of doing it and from those who have done it, feel very excited now!
Old Sep 13th 2009, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annalou
We have been in NZ since late 2003,left the UK shortly after getting married.
We settled in Christchurch and both found jobs and bought a house. Now have two children aged 4 & 1. I have never really felt homesick, my husband has but mainly due to work situation here, he is a welder and says it is completely different here.

Anyway there were redundancies recently at his work, he did not lose his job but with that hanging over us for a while we started to think about going back to UK if he did get made redundant, he is convinced there will be further redundancies in the next few months and is now thinking he may take voluntary if he gets chance. Anyway now we are both thinking we would like to go back to the UK for a couple of years and spend some time with the families while the children are still young, we have contacted some people re work for my husband and the feedback is really positive.

We plan to rent the house out here in NZ,put the furniture in storage and go back for a year or two, to sort of find out where we really want to be, difficult as we did not dislike the UK at all when we were there but had to satisfy the curiosity of living in NZ and it now feels like that for going back to the UK, don't want to get to 70 and think " wish we had tried living at home" etc

My parents are coming out in Feb so they will be here to help us sort the house out etc which will be handy, going to make the most of the kiwi Summer and then hopefully head back for a great British Summer

Has anyone else done this sort of thing? Where they just went back to give it a try, most people seem to pack up everything and head back, whereas we hope to come back to NZ (we have citizenship) in a few years.

Would appreciate any advice/feedback etc

Cheers
Do it while your kids are so young

Can you imagine the nightmare, wanting to get out is for those with kids/teens in school.

Run while you can
Old Oct 4th 2009, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Hello
I just spotted this thread. We have just returned to the UK (our 6th week back), for a minimum stay of 1 year and we told ourselves before we left the US, never say never. We too visualize ourselves back in the USA in the future, perhaps when the economy is a little less bleak. For now we are enjoying all there is to enjoy here in Britain/Europe. DH and I had a good chat over lunch today at Bluewater and agreed that we couldn't imagine the US being 'over' for us and are now seriously thinking through which place would be best to raise our daughters. All the best to you an keep us updated
Old Oct 4th 2009, 11:08 am
Just Joined

That sounds great!