Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Thinking about cashing out of Toronto and returning to the UK

Thinking about cashing out of Toronto and returning to the UK

Old Feb 17th 2022, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Thinking about cashing out of Toronto and returning to the UK

Canada

Ive been on and off this site since i first visited canada almost 20 years ago

Ive been married, divorced,

Moved back to the UK in 2014, only lasted 4 months… and came back to Toronto in 2015 because of lack of job ( decent) opportunities and at the same i didn’t have alot of financial security back then ( lived with my dad in a not so great part of essex )

Fast forward to 2022… i am in alot better position financially, money in the bank and i own several properties here that if i sold I could buy a place somewhere up north.

On a personal level I have a great partner who i met about a month after returning to toronto in 2015, i have a decent job and was promoted but I’m really starting to HATE my job being chained to My desk from 7-6 each day…… and how expensive EVERYthing has become here…..

My partner isn’t from Canada either and just got his Canadian citizenship ….

We are thinking about selling our properties here & maybe buying a place in cash in northumberland( where I have a lot of family) or with a small mortgage… another idea moving close to or in Edinburgh as i like how there are more jobs there for me and its a fun city not to far from my family in northumberland

We are looking for a different pace of life, im 40 now and still youngish but im done with this pointless rat race to maintain this expensive way of life….. also my dad isn’t getting any younger so im thinking about pinging back again…

Am i mad for even considering this???? I dont even know what im asking but wanted to say these things to others who have been here before…..

Last edited by celine_uk; Feb 17th 2022 at 3:16 am.
Old Feb 17th 2022, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about cashing out of Toronto and returning to the UK

Originally Posted by celine_uk
Canada

Ive been on and off this site since i first visited canada almost 20 years ago

Ive been married, divorced,

Moved back to the UK in 2014, only lasted 4 months… and came back to Toronto in 2015 because of lack of job ( decent) opportunities and at the same i didn’t have alot of financial security back then ( lived with my dad in a not so great part of essex )

Fast forward to 2022… i am in alot better position financially, money in the bank and i own several properties here that if i sold I could buy a place somewhere up north.

On a personal level I have a great partner who i met about a month after returning to toronto in 2015, i have a decent job and was promoted but I’m really starting to HATE my job being chained to My desk from 7-6 each day…… and how expensive EVERYthing has become here…..

We are thinking about selling our properties here & maybe buying a place in cash in northumberland( where I have a lot of family) or with a small mortgage… another idea moving close to or in Edinburgh as i like how there are more jobs there for me and its a fun city not to far from my family in northumberland

We are looking for a different pace of life, im 40 now and still youngish but im done with this pointless rat race to maintain this expensive way of life….. also my dad isn’t getting any younger so im thinking about pinging back again…

Am i mad for even considering this???? I dont even know what im asking but wanted to say these things to others who have been here before…..
As always it just depends what you want, like and can personally achieve. Right now you have expensive streets and houses, a job you hate and equity in your property.
If you sell up and that allows you to move to cheaper streets with cheaper houses and a job you like, that doesn't sound mad to me. You would also have the added benefit of being closer to family.
Old Feb 21st 2022, 2:00 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Toronto or Northumberland ? I'd chose Northumberland any day.
Old Feb 21st 2022, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

MrCheeky is an unknown quantity at this point

There are a lot of factors to consider. My wife and I sold our house here in Metro Vancouver and will be moving to the UK this summer. Like many things, a move will be a compromise. For us it was a change of scenery, closer to the places we want to travel and to be closer to family as well. Like Toronto, Vancouver has expanded significantly over the past 20 years. People. traffic and the cost of living will continue to rise. It will be the same for Toronto. If you are considering selling some properties in Toronto, it's a great time price wise. Of course with moving to the UK you will face an unfavourable exchange rate and inflated housing prices there as well. Again, compromises...

Ultimately for us it is all about quality of life which encompasses many factors. Everyone's factors and assessment of quality of life is different. Good luck with your decision.
Old Feb 21st 2022, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

From your earlier posts looks like partner is from China.... so first things first is a visa for him.....