Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Things to take with you from USA to UK

Things to take with you from USA to UK

Old Oct 24th 2013, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Things to take with you from USA to UK

What items are you stocking up on to take back to the UK? Some things are less expensive in the USA than the UK. Clothing, drug store items, pet items, and other.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to take with you from USA to UK

Originally Posted by windsong
What items are you stocking up on to take back to the UK? Some things are less expensive in the USA than the UK. Clothing, drug store items, pet items, and other.
Windsong, Petplanet.com is a great UK online store. I have already ordered beds, pens etc and have had them sent to my brother's home. Their prices are excellent, lots of sales too.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 8:29 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

The obvious one is money & lots of it .....along with a case of each of

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

Pancake mix

Quality dress shoes + those rubber over shoes for when it rains

Cotton bed sheets

Last edited by not2old; Oct 24th 2013 at 8:32 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

britishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to all

Tuppaware, bed linens, some kitchen supplies (scouring pads/dish cleaners.... i buy with coupons so they end up free). Also will be taking some basic medicine, large packs of ibuprofen etc.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishspouse
Tuppaware, bed linens, some kitchen supplies (scouring pads/dish cleaners.... i buy with coupons so they end up free). Also will be taking some basic medicine, large packs of ibuprofen etc.
If you take sheets, will they fit the UK mattresses?
I have also heard returnees say to bring heavy duty tinfoil.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 9:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit

US beds are different sizes to UK beds...besides IMO bedding bought in the UK is far superior.

Besides my husband and dog...the only thing I need to take with me is my UK passport.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 24th 2013 at 10:06 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Oct 24th 2013, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishspouse
Painkillers cost so much more in the US though.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 10:08 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Some UK mattress sizes are smaller than US beds I believe, so if you get sheets for a US-sized mattress it will fit, it's just there is a bit extra material.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_size

If it is time for a computer upgrade in your house, you might consider a new computer from the US which can be cheaper.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 5:51 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say a laptop if you are ready for a new one any time soon.
Shoes I wish I'd shopped for more before coming over, I'm not keen on the styles here at the moment.
I do wish I had made room in the shipping for my pans, I think the ones here I've seen seem expensive for the quality, but I have time to watch the sales.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 8:48 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Things to take with you from USA to UK

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills

I do wish I had made room in the shipping for my pans, I think the ones here I've seen seem expensive for the quality, but I have time to watch the sales.
A word of warning: most ovens in Europe and Asia are much smaller than American ones....your roasting pans and baking sheets may be too large to fit inside a British oven! Only take the smaller sizes You may be pleased to know that if you choose not to bring them or your items eventually wear out that there are many TJ Maxx stores in the UK (but they are called T K Maxx there)....it's a good source of kitchen gadgets (inc. muffin and baking sheets) and homeware items, similar to what you will find in the US but they don't stock the large American sized roasting pans or baking sheets lol!

A few rolls of "Glad" 'Press n Seal' would be a good thing to take.

If you like using Mrs Dash (for non-US residents it is a salt-free condiment to use in cooking, eg. for fish, stews etc) then you might to bring some.

You will be used to using US Cup sizes for recipes; in the UK most recipes are used with a combination of kitchen weighing scales and different spoon sizes; strongly suggest you bring your US cups and favourite recipe books. It is not impossible to buy US cups in the UK and you can find US recipes online, but initially it will be more convenient to have familiar things around you! Don't bring small electrical appliances such as coffee makers, irons, blenders, you don't want to bother with transformers and if you go to Argos, the larger Asda or Tesco supermarkets they are very inexpensive.

You can buy Maple Syrup in UK stores (I currently have Tesco's Finest Maple Syrup from Canada which I bought in the UK) but you may be able to find a local product which you might like to take with you or some local honey etc.

To be honest I wouldn't bother with the pancake mix; it is so easy to make with some flour, an egg, water and milk that it's not worth it. In any case you can buy pancake/batter mix in the UK at most food stores, although of course in the UK the preference is for pancakes to be like thin crepes One thing I haven't seen in the UK is the wide egg noodles - but you may find them in the shops catering to the Eastern Europeans.

If you like buying organic/natural foods in Wholefoods you might want to take a small selection of their products (eg. packets of naturally flavoured quinoa/couscous/wholegrains etc.) although may be interested to know that they have a few stores in the UK, including Glasgow; however it seems that you can also order a limited selection online.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/list/uk

I don't know if you have a Costco card, but you can use the cards in any of their stores around the world, I went shopping at Costco in Coventry, England last month; I didn't even have the card with me although my membership hadn't expired and they just looked it up online for me and gave me a temporary pass for the day.

Do take a look at the Land's End website - they always have online sales and clearance items at great prices; last year I bought four bathing suits (aka swimming costumes ) for $25 each with free shipping in the US; a few weeks later the identical items were back at the usual price of $119 Their clothes are so durable and wash well with a good range for inclement weather. The quality is a refreshing change from many other clothes in US stores.

http://www.landsend.com

(It might be worth seeing if you can find some good quality hiking/walking shoes or boots if they are on sale or if you can find a discount coupon).

Going slightly off topic, here is an expat's experience of flying pets with United from Newark to Edinburgh:

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=79767.0
Old Oct 25th 2013, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I agree re the tinfoil, the stuff we get in UK is downright wimpy. I also miss Ziploc sandwich/freezer bags and those Glad brand lightweight food storage containers that stack inside themselves with the blue lids that interlock with each other for storing tidily in the cupboard.

Re the bedding sizes, twin and double are pretty much the same in both UK and North America. The UK King size is the same as the North American Queen size and the UK Super King is the same as the North American King size. We generally get our bedding at Yorkshire Linen http://www.yorkshirelinen.com/. They have some lovely duvets and bedspreads and we love their flannel sheets at this time of year!
Old Oct 25th 2013, 9:10 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Two big bottles of ibuprofen from Sam's Club (about $10 for 500! That will sort out all the muscle and joint aches and pains); Levi jeans; Zip-lock bags; Thor-Lo hiking socks (there is absolutely nothing comparable available in the UK).

In fact, almost anything from Sam's Club.

I find these days when I go back that many things that used to be cheaper in the US don't seem as cheap.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
A few rolls of "Glad" 'Press n Seal' would be a good thing to take.
I was just saying to DH last night as we were unpacking the groceries that some Press n Seal would really come in handy

Another good source for nice cook/bakeware is ProCook http://www.procook.co.uk/.We've ordered a lot online from them and shopped at their Ashford store when we lived in Kent and have always been very happy with our purchases.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
37p in Waitrose. 3 packets for £1.20 in Tescos
Old Oct 25th 2013, 10:03 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
I was just saying to DH last night as we were unpacking the groceries that some Press n Seal would really come in handy

Another good source for nice cook/bakeware is ProCook http://www.procook.co.uk/.We've ordered a lot online from them and shopped at their Ashford store when we lived in Kent and have always been very happy with our purchases.
Guests from the US are not allowed through the front door until they confirm they have brought "proper" Zip-lock bags (the ones with a zipper)! I use, re-use, and then recycle them for all sorts of purposes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.