Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Things are bad in old Blighty

Wikiposts

Things are bad in old Blighty

Old Dec 4th 2010, 2:24 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things are bad in old Blighty

I know its cool to knock the UK when it suffers from the weather, but to add a little transatlantic context, this "devastating blizzard" and the ensuing "arctic conditions" closed roads, downed power lines, caused umpteen pileups on the highways and earned our kids a snow day a year ago today.......
Things are bad in old Blighty-dsc00103.jpg
Buggered up my newplantings too.......
Old Dec 4th 2010, 2:36 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I know its cool to knock the UK when it suffers from the weather, but to add a little transatlantic context, this "devastating blizzard" and the ensuing "arctic conditions" closed roads, downed power lines, caused umpteen pileups on the highways and earned our kids a snow day a year ago today.......
I remember that. I don't think you're allowed to be a newsreader in TX unless you scream hysterically about everything as if it's the end of the world.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

There wasn't enough snow to close Manchester Airport on Wednesday unfortunately. My inlaws still managed to get here
Old Dec 5th 2010, 1:19 am
Taunton, Somerset to PA

mikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud of

Its the simple fact that in the Uk where I lived (Somerset) there were not enough plow and gritting trucks, around here (Pennsylvania) where we get snow every year we have lots of trucks ready to deal with it.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 1:28 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikehope
Its the simple fact that in the Uk where I lived (Somerset) there were not enough plow and gritting trucks, around here (Pennsylvania) where we get snow every year we have lots of trucks ready to deal with it.
I remember an Xmas in VT, when we got 18 inches Xmas Eve and by 8 am Xmas Day, the roads were clear (dirt roads at that!);BUT if we got even 4 inches where I live in GA, they would and did (in 1989) close I-95.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
In 1947 the whole of the UK was buried under deep snow from mid January to the middle of March continuously, with snow drifs reaching up to the roof tops in many areas. It was a time of severe fuel and power shortages, strict food rationing, and very few people had their own transport. Temperatures remained below freezing for weeks on end and power cuts were frequent. There was no social security then as we know it today - no winter fuel payments for pensioners or cold weather payments for poorer people. Rivers froze from bank to bank and ice floes became blocked beow Tower Bridge in London.

On 22 December 1962 bitterly cold easterly winds swept in from Northern Russia and stayed....for almost three months. On Boxing Day 1962 the snows arrived and even if a day late it remained deep and crisp an even....for almost three months. On 29/30 December 1962 a snow blizzard paralysed much of southern Britain and, as the late comedian Kenneth Williams says in his famous diaries, published in book form by Russell Davies: "Snow lies over a foot deep with deeper drifts in central London but still the London buses are running -the London bus drivers are "wonderful - all of them!"

The snow and the bitter cold persisted until the first week of March 1963. The sea froze for a mile or more out from the shore in many places - at Ramsgate in Kent the harbour was frozen over and a car drove across the River Dee, from bank to bank, at Chester. At Cambridge students took a short cut to their various colleges by walking along the frozen River Cam.

If any such winters occurred in the UK again, a country now vastly different in so many ways to what it was in either 1947 or 1963, the chaos and economic damage would be almost unimaginable. Let's hope it won't happen now - after all, we've just experienced the coldest November weather ever recorded in the UK.
I remember those two winters very well. In the 47 winter we were without power in the small factory I worked in. But our Boss managed to rig a generator that drove most of the machines but not the heating. Coal and Coke were our only source of heat for cooking for a few weeks.

The winter of 62/63 was my last in the UK ( place called Barton in the Clay Beds). Even with central heating our pipes froze and that tank in the attic that fed the hot water tank had 1/2inch of ice that had to be broken every morning. We were cut of for three days, they had to dig their way through the country lane that had high banks on both sides.

In Feb 63 I answered an add in the Sunday Telegraph for a job in Ottawa Canada and have never left. In my 47 years here I was never unable to get into work because of snow. But then we have an enormous amount of equipment and roads built to take heavy snow falls.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 5:01 am
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Attachment 97461
Buggered up my newplantings too.......
Are you sure you don't live in Tennessee? We suffer from the same affliction of believing a dusting of snow is a snowstorm.

I'm from Iowa originally so I find it quite funny, as does the hubster.