Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is there anything that you wished you had done before you returned back to the UK?

Is there anything that you wished you had done before you returned back to the UK?

Old Mar 25th 2009, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is there anything that you wished you had done before you returned back to the UK?

Hello All,

My wife and I are coming to the decision that we don't want to be in the US longer term and think that we'll look too making the move back to the UK this time next year, but we also have made the decision that we will keep thinking about this until the very last opportunity. Actually I (UK Citizen) should say that I want to be back in the UK and my wife (Indian National) understands and doesn't see moving there to be an issue.

With that said is there anything that you wish you had done while you were abroad?

For example, we will do a couple of longish weekend trips to the usual must see places, New York, Washington DC, etc. We'll also visit the few friends that we have in the US, that are scattered around.

So the question is, are there things that you wished you had done before you moved back to the UK?

Thanks.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Chi_town is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is there anything that you wished you had done before you returned back to the UK

Well, we haven't moved back yet (few more weeks to go). We have seen a lot of the U.S over the 5 years we have been here. In most cases, more than the natives! For 3 of the summers we took long road trips that brought us across several states, the other 2 years we visited TN and FL. We soent last Christmas in NYC.

The only one city we didn't get to is Washngton DC. But my attitude is that we will be back and nowadays it can be almost as cheap to fly from Ireland to Washington as from Chicago to Washington. So I am not bothered that we haven't 'done it all'.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 3:34 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there anything that you wished you had done before you returned back to the UK

I'd love to see more of the US, but Dh doesn't get enough vacation time We've made it to Nevada a few times and seen a lot of California, and thats it.
I'd like to see the Grand canyon and Yellowstone and some of the East coast.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

tieve is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I'm not back yet (at least another 9 months for me) and I'm in Australia and not the US, but I already know there are places I desperately want to see here that I won't have time (or money!) to get to. However, these can be saved for future trips

As Chi-town mentioned, as expats we often do see more than the 'natives' in a lot of cases. I've seen a good whack of Australia and I could spend years visiting all the places I want to in enough depth... compare that to some friends I had back in Brisbane who have never left Queensland and really have no desire to!

I'd say visit as many places as logistically possible before moving back, but remember that the experience you've had already will stay with you forever and is more than the majority of the world will ever have the privilege of enjoying.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

I have a couple of months to go, and I suppose there are three places. Rainbow Gorge in the Drakensberg, sunrise over the Amphitheatre (also Drakensberg) again and The Wilderness when its not raining! The first two are easy enough, the other one is a bit of a schlep.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 3:20 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, above all I wish I had got my US citizenship. I'm currently back on a 2-week visit and it's like exquisite pain. Exquisite because I am mixing with my old cronies, being reminded of everything that made my life so great here. Painful because I know how difficult it will be to get back here (if I ever can).
Old Mar 30th 2009, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you're saying, it's difficult to get into the US but I have a long way to go through to getting citizenship.

To be honest, I'm always thinking what I should do with regards to the whole citizenship question. I can see the advantages of having it and have learned never to say that I would never want to move back here. The thing that makes it difficult for me at the moment, is that my parents are getting older and I feel like I'm missing out hugely not being near my siblings and their families.

I have a wonderful relationship with my neices and nephews, but that seemed to get put on hold when I moved out of the country.

Workwise, the US is great, but all my family is in the UK.

I know that there have been a lot of posts with regards to moving back and family and friends not having the time for the ex-pat, but I believe (sound naive?) that wouldn't be the case with my family.

My parents are in their mid 60's and my neices and nephews in the their early teens. I keep on getting the feeling that these next few years are really important and that I might be missing out on important 'life', waiting.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

tieve is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dave_Was

I know that there have been a lot of posts with regards to moving back and family and friends not having the time for the ex-pat, but I believe (sound naive?) that wouldn't be the case with my family.
Doesn't sound naive at all - I feel exactly the same. Actually I KNOW my friends and family will have time for me, because they always have done, and that's why they're friends. And if to start with they're all busy and somehow don't have time for me... well, I'll still always be there and have the time for them.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

times up is a jewel in the roughtimes up is a jewel in the roughtimes up is a jewel in the roughtimes up is a jewel in the rough

I've moved countries a few times throughout my life and each time I've regretted not doing certain things. My hands are somewhat tied this time (returning to the UK) but I rationalise things with the fact that if all these things I wish I had done were so important to me, then I would have done them, made time or money for them. The simplest fact is that we all have desires in all aspects of our lives but we make decisions based upon what is really important. Other things just seem important at the time.

You don't have to be very old to realise that there are some things which you will never get to do for one reason or another. You just get over it and move on.