Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is there anything you can't take back home.....?

Is there anything you can't take back home.....?

Old Oct 3rd 2010, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

wiltshire_1 will become famous soon enoughwiltshire_1 will become famous soon enough
Default Is there anything you can't take back home.....?

We are moving back to UK from Australia in 6 months () and just wondered if there was any massive restrictions on what we can and can't take back. For example, someone has mentioned to us that our BBQ will need to be immaculate before being allowed into the UK because of the risks associated with animal fat etc, has anyone taken their BBQ or is it easier to leave behind - I couldn't care less but you know what men are like with their BBQs

I just remember the mass cleaning and throwing out session we had before the move out here and wondered if UK customs and quarantine were as strict as Australia....?

Any other useful info for moving back would be appreciated too!
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 5:13 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there anything you can't take back home.....?

All the years you've wasted.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

wiltshire_1 will become famous soon enoughwiltshire_1 will become famous soon enough

Well it's only been 2 and a half years so all is not lost
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

I've been using this as my guide

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...yType=document

it's basically all about tax, no mention of BBQs or any of the other "no-no's" that you find importing things like golf clubs, mattresses etc to other countries

the only special checks I am aware of are for importing live animals like pets

of course there is the usual section on prohibited and restricted items like firearms and explosives
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, you've done it! Kudos to you for hanging in there despite your earlier down time! I hope all goes well for your return trip!
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quoll
Wow, you've done it! Kudos to you for hanging in there despite your earlier down time! I hope all goes well for your return trip!
Thanks! It's been a long time coming and believe me I have counted every minute! Flights are booked so the count down really begins - 27 weeks to go
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 3:10 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wiltshire_1
Thanks! It's been a long time coming and believe me I have counted every minute! Flights are booked so the count down really begins - 27 weeks to go
Congrats on getting the flights booked, now yu can breathe a sigh of relief and enjoy what time is left there
Old Oct 4th 2010, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

the davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nice

Great news hopefully it will go quick now the end is in sight Are you still taking your Standie back?
Old Oct 4th 2010, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by the davis family
Great news hopefully it will go quick now the end is in sight Are you still taking your Standie back?
No. Just too much money. I've managed to sell her to a very good home. Had to be realistic - what about you? How are the plans going?
Old Oct 4th 2010, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

the davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nice

I gave Will to a trusted friend, that's fab you found her a good home must be a relief to now think about the return. We are thinking of trying Cochrane Alberta out before we make any final decisions. Just depends if we sell our place, if it doesn't sell until next summer then we will probably go back to UK so our eldest can start secondary with all the others of her age. But fingers crossed it sells and we can get a rental over there for a few months.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

We packed everything we could - BBQ fat included ! Visited some of our favourite vineyards and stocked up on our fave tipple as well. Container wasn't opened but x-rayed. We had two live white tip spiders as an extra special import !

Good Luck
Old Oct 4th 2010, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Reading fan
We packed everything we could - BBQ fat included ! Visited some of our favourite vineyards and stocked up on our fave tipple as well. Container wasn't opened but x-rayed. We had two live white tip spiders as an extra special import !

Good Luck
Eurgh! Who discovered them, you or customs.......?
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wiltshire_1
We are moving back to UK from Australia in 6 months () and just wondered if there was any massive restrictions on what we can and can't take back. For example, someone has mentioned to us that our BBQ will need to be immaculate before being allowed into the UK because of the risks associated with animal fat etc, has anyone taken their BBQ or is it easier to leave behind - I couldn't care less but you know what men are like with their BBQs

I just remember the mass cleaning and throwing out session we had before the move out here and wondered if UK customs and quarantine were as strict as Australia....?

Any other useful info for moving back would be appreciated too!
Great news.....we did not have any trouble with the UK customs although we did not bring a BBQ back with us (we were going to buy a new one and send it over in the container but alas would not fit it)...our removalists said that the U.K is a lot less strict than Aus so although things have to be clean they do not have to been sparkling....if I had my time again...I think I would bring a lot less back...things are cheaper here but then again it depends on your budget and sentimental items...we have an Aux fax machine that we cannot use the fax with as it has different connections to the phone lines here and no adaptor available.....have a look say at Argos, Tesco catalogues and Curry's and Comet online and compare prices....good luck and six months will fly, you'll be here for Spring...nice...
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brits1
Great news.....we did not have any trouble with the UK customs although we did not bring a BBQ back with us (we were going to buy a new one and send it over in the container but alas would not fit it)...our removalists said that the U.K is a lot less strict than Aus so although things have to be clean they do not have to been sparkling....if I had my time again...I think I would bring a lot less back...things are cheaper here but then again it depends on your budget and sentimental items...we have an Aux fax machine that we cannot use the fax with as it has different connections to the phone lines here and no adaptor available.....have a look say at Argos, Tesco catalogues and Curry's and Comet online and compare prices....good luck and six months will fly, you'll be here for Spring...nice...
Thanks for that

We are leaving a few big pieces of furniture here (sofa bed, fridge/freezer, washing machine) as they are due or renewal anyway. Had an initial quote and everything "should" fit in a 20ft container. Will just prioritise the items for packing. Springtime at home is my favourite time of year - can't wait!!!