Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Thee Question to ask about returning to the UK.

Thee Question to ask about returning to the UK.

Old Apr 10th 2014, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thee Question to ask about returning to the UK.

Originally Posted by dunroving
Talking of death, the news from the Bahamas this morning reminded me why I left that country. I remember house invasions being a topic of conversation at many parties when I first moved there, quite disconcerting.

This could have been me or any one of my housemates on three separate occasions. Death certainly has the effect of helping you to focus on what is important in your life (including where you want to live - or don't, as the case may be).
Home invasions here are definitely on the increase. The case you quote is particularly alarming. In spite of a rise in crime, I still feel relatively safe! But these incidents, along with death of close friends, do indeed make you consider your options.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 12:48 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michali
Home invasions here are definitely on the increase. The case you quote is particularly alarming. In spite of a rise in crime, I still feel relatively safe! But these incidents, along with death of close friends, do indeed make you consider your options.
Personal safety was one of my two main reasons for leaving there, with 4 personal major experiences occurring in my last year there.

The US probably has a higher rate of deaths from crime than the Bahamas, but I always felt a lot safer in the US.

Sorry, this is slightly OT, except for the mortality theme - I didn't leave because a spouse died, I left because I thought I might end up dead or seriously hurt!
Old Apr 10th 2014, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

The whole issue of the surviving spouse returning to the UK has been really been on my mind since the end of last year, as the issue pertains to a non EU spouse. My friend's husband died in October and because of the "new" rules, she can no longer be sponsored by her children and it is a real concern. At present she is well and can travel back and forth and to Canada but in the long term, she may not be well enough to do so. We often just live in the present (not a bad principle really!) and do not think long term but in instances like this, we really should think way ahead! Laws change!
Old Apr 10th 2014, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Melly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to behold

Great thread. Very thought provoking as I approach the half century mark!!
Old Apr 10th 2014, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

norfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to behold

My husband died back in 2000. I always said I would leave USA if that happened. However, I had an aging Golden Retriever who would not have survived the flight back so decided to remain here until she went to the great dog kennel in the sky. Three years on I met my present SO so am still here. I'm still playing with the idea of returning. My son, DIL and grandchildren are on the other side of the country and I honestly believe I would see them more often if I returned to Britain.

However, the older I get the more I dread the thought of going through upheaval. Maybe one of these days I'll get back my adventurous spirit (like when I was 19 I flew to Germany into the unknown with one suitcase and stayed there for 20 years).

I've been reading on this forum about expats my age going back and feel a great deal of admiration for them. Having not lived in Britain for more than 40 years, I've no idea if I'd enjoy it now although the idea is very appealing.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 7:36 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Because life would change, a lot. For the remaining partner, life may or may not become less perfect after the death, but it would be different
No, I'm thinking for most people it's a given that life would be less perfect if their spouse died!

I suppose if you'd change anything major it maybe tells you something about your current life.
not really - it might just be that the life choices you make as a couple for two of you (almost always involving compromise on both sides) might be different to the ones you would make alone. It also might tell you that in your current set up most your emotional support comes from one person who you could not imagine your set up being sustainable without.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 8:26 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
No, I'm thinking for most people it's a given that life would be less perfect if their spouse died!

not really - it might just be that the life choices you make as a couple for two of you (almost always involving compromise on both sides) might be different to the ones you would make alone. It also might tell you that in your current set up most your emotional support comes from one person who you could not imagine your set up being sustainable without.
- I'd say that what you describe in your second paragraph comes under the description "... tells you something about your current life". That's exactly the sort of thing I meant - it raises your awareness.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 2:43 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

It's not even a consideration for me. I have two children. If my wife died I'd stay here, find some way to be able to continue paying the mortgage with only one earner and try to get on with things. That last thing they would need if their mother snuffed it would be m eforcing them to move 3,500 miles across the world because I can't hack it. That would be beyond selfish.

Plus, I have a life here anyway. Even now, when we idly talk about possibly living in the UK for a while I feel it might be harder to leave here than I used to think.

Interesting related question would be, "If you and your spouse got divorced, would you stay in the country?"
Interesting, it is, but my answer is the same, I'd stay here.

Again, I'm not 'just here because my wife is American' anymore. I have as much of a life here as I did in the UK now, albeit arranged a bit differently. Plus, and I have thought about this, I won't lie it is reasonably likely, in the event my wife and I are just done with each other, I can't think how it would be living so far away from my children.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 8:57 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Yeah, you'd think, wouldn't you? However, it could all depend upon the couple concerned....
Old Apr 12th 2014, 1:32 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

- I'd say that what you describe in your second paragraph comes under the description "... tells you something about your current life". That's exactly the sort of thing I meant - it raises your awareness.
I read your statement "tells you something about your current life" that you thought if ppl would change their lives significantly after the death of a spouse then it implies there's something they should be doing about the disparity between their 'current' life and what they would do if partner died now. Sorry if I misunderstood you.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

moggi1964 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not a dinner party, that's for sure. The economy, death, world poverty, crime, all things I don't want to discuss when I want to enjoy myself.

I'm perfectly happy (? maybe not the right word!) to discuss these topics, but if someone asked me at a dinner party what I'd do if my (insert name of favourite person) died, I'd probably suggest they lighten up and don't spoil the mood.
I think it is a GREAT topic for a dinner party. Nothing like really interesting and thought provoking questions, interlaced with alcohol, to really get a conversation buzzing
Old Apr 12th 2014, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moggi1964
I think it is a GREAT topic for a dinner party. Nothing like really interesting and thought provoking questions, interlaced with alcohol, to really get a conversation buzzing
I agree, throw in a good topic and sit back and enjoy the show!