Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Theale (Berkshire), anyone?

Theale (Berkshire), anyone?

Old Jun 8th 2007, 6:28 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Theale (Berkshire), anyone?

In making plans to return to the UK early next year (after citizenship), it appears that Theale and surrounds works well for our needs (live in village, commute to work), especially jobs (hubby is in IT; I'm a Legal Secretary/Paralegal) and proximity to family. Looks like some good employers in Theale (such as Wolseley).

Can anyone tell me a bit more about Theale and the Reading area?

Thanks!
Old Jun 8th 2007, 9:09 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Theale (Berkshire), anyone?

Originally Posted by DDL
In making plans to return to the UK early next year (after citizenship), it appears that Theale and surrounds works well for our needs (live in village, commute to work), especially jobs (hubby is in IT; I'm a Legal Secretary/Paralegal) and proximity to family. Looks like some good employers in Theale (such as Wolseley).

Thanks!
Hi

Reading is nice. Just been a few times when I was based in Bristol. I used to do some work with Wolseley - seems like a good company. There are lots of big companies in Reading. It has a good shopping mall and also good commuting times to London if you want to do day trips etc.

This site should give you lots more info http://www.reading.gov.uk/communityandliving/
Old Jun 9th 2007, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
Reading is nice.
Reading is a complete dump.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Reading is a complete dump.
Maybe the town in place but there are some very nice villages around Theale included. Reading footie club is doing well and has some great games there if you like football. There is a nice park there for the kids - Beale park I think!

How far out of Theale will you be willing to look at? Newbury and South are where some of the nice villages are. Heaps of horse riding schools and ballet... ( I have girls)I drive through Reading once a week so if you want more info just shout.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to mention - GREAT SHOPPING
Old Jun 11th 2007, 6:57 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the info. We'd be willing to live a few miles outside of Theale. I've heard that Newbury's nice. And it certainly does look as though there's plenty of our kind of stuff (theatre, concerts, etc.) in Reading and surrounds.

DH's contacted an IT placement agency in Theale. They appear to be interested....

We soooo miss the UK!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 5:01 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DDL
Thank you for the info. We'd be willing to live a few miles outside of Theale. I've heard that Newbury's nice. And it certainly does look as though there's plenty of our kind of stuff (theatre, concerts, etc.) in Reading and surrounds.

DH's contacted an IT placement agency in Theale. They appear to be interested....

We soooo miss the UK!
I used to live in Burghfield RG7 3 - about 5 mile from Theale. Great place quiet and no traffic. Close to reading but far enough from the yobs. Was there for 10 years so if you need any more PM me. Newbury is cheaper and Thatcham is OK.... Pangbourne and that way expensive, and Calcot to Tilehurst starts to get a little - well run down!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DDL

Thanks!
the shopping is great at the Oracle complex in Reading ,visited there last year fantastic, as someone else said earlier, Pangbourne is lovely also Sonning, both very expensive. When and if you go there to live,take a drive out to a pub called The Playhatch, great food,also another called.... The Bull at Sonning,oh I am making myself home sick
Old Jun 12th 2007, 2:07 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Oh bugger....as Irish Guinness said, I am making myself homesick again reading this thread, hearing about all the places I miss.

Reading itself doesn't have the best name, but that is not the whole picture. There are still some lovely places in and around Reading. It is expensive in places.....even compared to Sydney!

There are great schools in the area and loads of information on the net. IT companies abound and it is known as the Silicon valley of the UK. Oracle and loads of others are around Reading. The incomes in this area are better than other (regional) outside London centres.

I visit at least once a year, have recently researched jobs in the area. Visit loads of pubs too It isn't happening for me at the moment to get back but if you want any input on Reading let me know.

Go for it.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:25 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Bizarre one can get homesick over weird things. Mine last night was cycling on the back country lanes between Reading and Basingstoke around this time of year. May/June is lovely and around Silchester its just too quiet! And thats from me in Perth which is like a cemetary sometimes!

Still back to the view of the sea and beach and well it does beat Reading on some things!
Old Jun 16th 2007, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

If you want any info on houses or info with regards Newbury give me a shout. I work at an estate agency there so know the area's to avoid and school zones to head for.

Good luck
Old Jun 16th 2007, 3:44 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in various parts of Reading since 1984! In the 1980s it was a dump but not anymore. It's become a great town.

Have to say though that I don't like Theale - but that's just a personal thing. We've lived in Caversham Park Village for the last (nearly) 13 years, and I can definitely recommend it. Especially if you have children! When it's warm you see large groups of kids play outside all day unsupervised, because this is a crime free area (possibly the only one in Reading).

Theale has a lot of ex-council housing and the people that come with that ....

Gina
Old Jun 16th 2007, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

We're heading back to the Wokingham area (hopefully!) and it is a great place with good schools.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fishfinger
We're heading back to the Wokingham area (hopefully!) and it is a great place with good schools.
Read all about it here:-

http://www.getwokingham.co.uk/

Drugs: http://www.getwokingham.co.uk/news/2...rug_underbelly

Vandalism:
http://www.getwokingham.co.uk/news/2...r_park_vandals

Burglary:
http://www.getwokingham.co.uk/news/2...ghs_residents_

Yobbery:
http://www.getwokingham.co.uk/news/2...costly_repairs

Graffiti:
http://www.getwokingham.co.uk/news/2..._graffiti_mess

Sounds like a great place.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NedKelly

Sounds like a great place.
It is a great place thanks and I can't wait to get back.

LOL - Haven't you got anything better to do?

Last edited by fishfinger; Jun 17th 2007 at 2:01 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.