Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Thank you everyone for all the great advise!

Thank you everyone for all the great advise!

Old Jun 22nd 2009, 7:08 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thank you everyone for all the great advise!

I just wanted to pop in to show my appreciation to those of you who took the time to offer your opinions,and help me select the best places to visit during my time in the UK. I depart tomorrow evening and I can't remember being this excited about a trip in a very long time.

My home base will be in Buckinghamshire but I plan to see as much of the UK as possible.If the plan stands as is, I'll be in the Uk for 6 weeks, but just in case I have a change of heart I left my self the option to extent my stay.

You never really know how much you'll like a place until you go there for a substantial amount of time. I'm really looking forward to visiting Scotland(Edinburgh & Glasgow) as well as Northern Ireland.Will certainly work in day trips to Manchester and Birmingham not to mention visiting a few southern UK cities like Brighton beach,Cotswolds and the area of Essex.

My family will join me in early July which should give me enough time to get my barrens and learn my way around London. I was hoping to do Wimbledon but that plan for the moment in still up in the air. Will check to see if day sessions are a possibility after arriving and getting settled in. The house that I'm renting seems to have a excellent reputation for ease of access to most motor ways and rail travel to London.

It's a very cool little house that was built back in the mid 1800's but has a modern interior. Appear to have a very English feel to the surrounding area.

I will try and post in a few weeks how my trip is going and my take on what it feels like to be an American(Yankee) experiencing the English culture.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thank you everyone for all the great advise!

Have fun, look forward to your updates. It's always interesting to see it through an American's eyes.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 8:06 pm
Have Visa will travel SFO

rwoodfine is a jewel in the roughrwoodfine is a jewel in the roughrwoodfine is a jewel in the roughrwoodfine is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
I just wanted to pop in to show my appreciation to those of you who took the time to offer your opinions,and help me select the best places to visit during my time in the UK. I depart tomorrow evening and I can't remember being this excited about a trip in a very long time.

My home base will be in Buckinghamshire but I plan to see as much of the UK as possible.If the plan stands as is, I'll be in the Uk for 6 weeks, but just in case I have a change of heart I left my self the option to extent my stay.

You never really know how much you'll like a place until you go there for a substantial amount of time. I'm really looking forward to visiting Scotland(Edinburgh & Glasgow) as well as Northern Ireland.Will certainly work in day trips to Manchester and Birmingham not to mention visiting a few southern UK cities like Brighton beach,Cotswolds and the area of Essex.

My family will join me in early July which should give me enough time to get my barrens and learn my way around London. I was hoping to do Wimbledon but that plan for the moment in still up in the air. Will check to see if day sessions are a possibility after arriving and getting settled in. The house that I'm renting seems to have a excellent reputation for ease of access to most motor ways and rail travel to London.

It's a very cool little house that was built back in the mid 1800's but has a modern interior. Appear to have a very English feel to the surrounding area.

I will try and post in a few weeks how my trip is going and my take on what it feels like to be an American(Yankee) experiencing the English culture.
Try to visit Durham City on your way to Edinburgh it is a great city with a fantastic castle and cathedral dates back to St Cuthbert
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 8:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad

6 weeks?!?!?!? You started all those threads about moving for 6 bloody weeks!!!!

Hope you enjoy your time in Blighty.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 8:15 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I agree about Durham. In fact, do try to visit some of the smaller places, and the best open countryside areas -- moors, dales etc etc.

And if you get to a place on market day it'll be busy and you'll be tempted to pass on by. Stop if you can and sample all the local goodies. Get some bargains, too!

There are some lovely small towns, and IMO the best are in Yorkshire. (This from a Lancashire Lass!!!!) Thirsk, Beverley, Richmond.

I know I was arguing for Manchester before, but that was just an argument for the north. I'd skip the city entirely in favour of small towns. But then, did you say you wanted to sample big city life?

Have lots of fun. By the time you're reporting back, I'll probably be there!

Bev
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 12:49 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Yep hope we dont disappoint you Have a great trip

Oh by the way abit gutted, you dont think the north/ east coast is worthy of a look

Have fun...........
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:51 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you guys for the farewells. Leaving for the airport in a few hours. Hope all of you have a great summer. Will try to get back online in a few weeks. Btw,I doubt my experience in the uk will result in anything but good feelings for the Brits and Scottish. Speaking of Scottish,I will need a good stiffener in order to endure this long flight

You guys take care
Old Jun 24th 2009, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

Have a good trip,try the Scottish Highlands they won't disapoint. Also follow the whisky trail in Speyside-Glenfiddich,Glenmorangie etc.As for a stiffner on the plane a couple of whiskys or so.I personally have one whisky and some Mersyndol(strong paracetamol which has codeine and muscle relaxant in it). That way i manage to sleep for a good few hours!!
Old Jun 29th 2009, 9:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder when he'll be back to give us an update on his Blighty trip?
Old Jun 29th 2009, 10:41 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I wonder when he'll be back to give us an update on his Blighty trip?
Well if he's planning on queing at Wimbledon, without a ticket...I doubt if we'll hear from him again
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 3:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Unlikely to hear from him at all. He's been banned
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 7:05 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Unlikely to hear from him at all. He's been banned
Really? why's that then? or are you pulling my p*$$er
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 10:01 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

So what got him banned ????
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 10:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by sans
So what got him banned ????
He's gone...let's leave it at that.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 10:05 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
He's gone...let's leave it at that.
Spoil sport

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.