Wikiposts

Thank you.....

Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:01 am
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thank you.....

Originally Posted by TraceyW
to all of the people who take the time and trouble to keep us updated when they get back to the UK

There have been a few of late and it really does lift my spirits and give me hope that it won't be doom and gloom back home.

So, big ((((((((((hug)))))))))) from me. Keep 'em coming please.

Hi Tracey,

sorry for not doing an update, keep intending to do it but have a lot going on and I still have my up and down days, though returning to OZ is not an option I even contemplate.
Main positives,
this is the place we belong,
out of limbo, can make long term plans and get settled.

The whole "Polish taking over the UK" is tosh. Yes there are east european immigrants but how can I ever complain after being a lifestyle/economic migrant myself. All the East Europeans I have met have been fine, why wouldn't they be?
We are going to centerparcs for the new year and Italy for the summer holidays, all affordable and easily accessible.

Will put my experiences into a better post when I have it straighter in my own mind and I have more time.

Has anyone heard from Rachel? I see she has cancelled her account.

Good luck to everyone

Kevin
Old Oct 25th 2007, 11:42 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinl
The whole "Polish taking over the UK" is tosh. Yes there are east european immigrants but how can I ever complain after being a lifestyle/economic migrant myself. All the East Europeans I have met have been fine, why wouldn't they be?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7048205.stm
It is causing a strain though..
Old Oct 28th 2007, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Hi Tracey

Its not doom n gloom back in UK. Being home again is brilliant in sooooooooooo many ways. Funny, things I didnt even realise I missed are brilliant.
An extended stint away certainly helps you see the positives in UK, warts n all.
That you have a while to wait'll make it all the sweeter to get back.

PS - Will get back to you about that area, friends who know it are away at the mo.
As you're heading to Devon................
Its a wet day here, 'am I bothered', autmnal leaves starting to turn now, green as a green thing. Umm - exeter has a new shopping centre bit and the quays been funked up a bit. What else - theres zillions of places to go near and far which after Oz is excellent central. Methinks you'll love it
Take care
xxx

Hi Birdy,

Just noticed you are another Devon-based person - there seem to be a few of us around.

I am heading back to Plymouth on Wednesday for my annual vacation. Meeting up with the wife and (almost) 3 yr old daughter who have been there since August. Then we all come back to San Fran just in time for Thanksgiving.

Really looking forward to seeing the family and the old country again (and will get to see 2 Argyle home games). Didn't realise Exeter had changed so much recently. May make a day trip up that way for a look-see.

Did you live in Devon before you headed out to Oz, or was Devon a new location for you on your return?

I am of course biased, but I do think Devon is one of (if not the) most beautiful counties in England.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

have a lovely time back home on hols - its looking gorgeous at the mo - all those colours . New shopping bit of exeter stands out from the rest of the city BIG TIME

I'm not from Devon but have spent time here over the years - my ex was from here, lived in Hampshire b4 Oz. Have a fair few friends here though. it is so beautiful you're right there.

Not sure if staying here - may move to Sussex in the New Year - its v quiet where my mates live, lovely as it is. After Oz want a bit of a buzz for a while.
Lucky as can have both here in UK

Have a lovely reunion with your family and littlegirl too

xx
T

Originally Posted by kevntrace
Hi Birdy,

Just noticed you are another Devon-based person - there seem to be a few of us around.

I am heading back to Plymouth on Wednesday for my annual vacation. Meeting up with the wife and (almost) 3 yr old daughter who have been there since August. Then we all come back to San Fran just in time for Thanksgiving.

Really looking forward to seeing the family and the old country again (and will get to see 2 Argyle home games). Didn't realise Exeter had changed so much recently. May make a day trip up that way for a look-see.

Did you live in Devon before you headed out to Oz, or was Devon a new location for you on your return?

I am of course biased, but I do think Devon is one of (if not the) most beautiful counties in England.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 1:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
to all of the people who take the time and trouble to keep us updated when they get back to the UK

There have been a few of late and it really does lift my spirits and give me hope that it won't be doom and gloom back home.

So, big ((((((((((hug)))))))))) from me. Keep 'em coming please.
Yep, I agree, views of people that have gone home are very welcome, to give the rest of us a glimpse of our old lives - and for some, a glimpse of the lives they are going back to
Old Nov 1st 2007, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute

To all of you still wondering about moving home, I have to tell you about my morning. Woke up early to get to school for a midterm. Walked through town to the bus stop 1 mile away from the flat -- mainly because it's by the park, and I love looking at the view while I'm waiting for the bus.

I was knackered from 3 hours sleep (up late studying), feeling a little blue because I haven't seen hubby in five weeks, hungry (because I got up too late to get breakfast and get to school early), and overall pretty miserable. My fridge is bare, because - let's be honest -- it is really really expensive here, and I'm on a student budget, so nothing to make school lunch with. So, overall feeling miserable and wondering why I'm away from my lovely home and my lovely husband.

Went outside, beautiful glorious autumn day. Not a cloud in the blue blue sky, sunny and cold. Got to the park and stood for 10 minutes looking at the view. People walking their dogs, autumn leaves, giant conker tree in all its glory, the old ruined abbey peeking through the trees, and the church bells ringing. It was wonderful and reminded me exactly why I had been missing home.

So, yes, there are good things and bad. It is really expensive here, and things can drive you crazy (seven weeks and counting for a phone line!), but for me at least, there's a great comfort and sense of ease about just being home.

Hope everyone else is doing ok. Tara
Old Nov 1st 2007, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

heggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really niceheggie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yep, I agree, views of people that have gone home are very welcome, to give the rest of us a glimpse of our old lives - and for some, a glimpse of the lives they are going back to
Have been wondering for some time whether to post or not, but decided that I will so here goes....

Having done the whole emigration thing to western australia decided after a very short period of time that it wasn't a better move for our family. I can honestly say that I knew after about 10 days, but stuck it out for a while longer just in case.

What I can say is this. I will never be sorry I did it, and am grateful that I had the opportunity to do it but, and here's the thing, I realised that although I already had a friendship group in Oz (people who had been friends for 20 years plus) they co-existed in Oz and weren't the friends that had left us a couple of years ago. It took me 12000 miles and a bit of money to realise that i'd left better friends in the UK.

I didn't cry saying goodbye to any of my family, even my parents who are in their 70's, but when i had that horrid phone call telling me my dad wasn't well (he's okay now by the way), you just realise how far away you are, and wonder what the hell you are doing there.

Moving back to the UK. Absolute joy!! I no longer buy the daily papers as I think they have a huge responsibility for portraying the negative things about the UK, but there are negative things about every country. What I have realised is that you have a great deal of choice in this country about many things - how lucky are we?? Healthcare, shopping, education etc etc.

My children have settled back in fairly quickly and easily, and i've had the whole guilt ridden thing about whether I should have stuck it out, but I can honestly say that I believe my children are better off here. I know we are lucky that we were able to buy a property back in an area we knew and loved. I know some people aren't financially able to do this, I left some lovely friends in Oz who weren't in a position to even afford their flights back and i really do feel for them.

My children have had a chance to experience another culture/way of life, and this has helped to broaden their minds too, but I am so glad to be back in the UK. I appreciate friends a lot more and just love the fact that I can walk everywhere!

I sincerely hope that for those of you who are starting on your journey it turns out to be all you ever wanted. For those of you returning, welcome home, you will undoubtedly receive the best welcome from friends and family which will make your return all the easier to deal with. Good luck which ever way you are heading xx
Old Nov 1st 2007, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by heggie
Have been wondering for some time whether to post or not, but decided that I will so here goes....

Having done the whole emigration thing to western australia decided after a very short period of time that it wasn't a better move for our family. I can honestly say that I knew after about 10 days, but stuck it out for a while longer just in case.

What I can say is this. I will never be sorry I did it, and am grateful that I had the opportunity to do it but, and here's the thing, I realised that although I already had a friendship group in Oz (people who had been friends for 20 years plus) they co-existed in Oz and weren't the friends that had left us a couple of years ago. It took me 12000 miles and a bit of money to realise that i'd left better friends in the UK.

I didn't cry saying goodbye to any of my family, even my parents who are in their 70's, but when i had that horrid phone call telling me my dad wasn't well (he's okay now by the way), you just realise how far away you are, and wonder what the hell you are doing there.

Moving back to the UK. Absolute joy!! I no longer buy the daily papers as I think they have a huge responsibility for portraying the negative things about the UK, but there are negative things about every country. What I have realised is that you have a great deal of choice in this country about many things - how lucky are we?? Healthcare, shopping, education etc etc.

My children have settled back in fairly quickly and easily, and i've had the whole guilt ridden thing about whether I should have stuck it out, but I can honestly say that I believe my children are better off here. I know we are lucky that we were able to buy a property back in an area we knew and loved. I know some people aren't financially able to do this, I left some lovely friends in Oz who weren't in a position to even afford their flights back and i really do feel for them.

My children have had a chance to experience another culture/way of life, and this has helped to broaden their minds too, but I am so glad to be back in the UK. I appreciate friends a lot more and just love the fact that I can walk everywhere!

I sincerely hope that for those of you who are starting on your journey it turns out to be all you ever wanted. For those of you returning, welcome home, you will undoubtedly receive the best welcome from friends and family which will make your return all the easier to deal with. Good luck which ever way you are heading xx
Just want to say what a great post. It is from the heart and i am really pleased you are now where you want to be.
It mirrors my thoughts exactly and i know for sure WA isn't for me or my family either. Nice day today though
I am putting my house up for sale in the next 2 weeks just need to touch up afew holes in the walls and sort the lawn out. God, i hope it sells.