Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Thailand to UK - Car insurance?

Thailand to UK - Car insurance?

Old Oct 11th 2013, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

bkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud of
Default Thailand to UK - Car insurance?

I've seen a few other discussions about car insurance but I don't think any are quite the same as mine.

I had a car in the UK before I left (in 2001), and had a couple of years no claims at the time. (that, of course, lapsed a long time ago).

The problem is, in Thailand, the cars have all been in my wife's name (she's Thai - makes the paperwork a lot easier if she deals with it), which means, since you insure the car, NOT the driver here, all the insurance policies are in her name also. (It's been useful - means my relatives / friends could drive the car when they visit etc. with an IDP - no new insurance needs negotiating).

The problem is, in the UK, my wife would need to sit and pass a UK driving test as she got her ILR (and popped back frequently enough to not lose it) when we used to live in the UK years ago. That means she can't drive in the UK on her Thai licence, and she's adamant anyway that she doesn't want to drive in London (our house is round the corner from a tube station).

That means, I have insurance in Thailand, with some sort of no-claims I think (doesn't really work that way - since you're essentially insuring all drivers), in my wife's name, not mine. How likely am I to find somebody willing to take that as proof of recent driving history as online checks for car insurance are coming back with huge numbers. £3K to insure a car worth £7K.

I'm 46, with a clean licence. Car will NOT be used for getting to work (maybe if I go in at the weekend) - never had any points. As things look right now, insurance was a lot cheaper when I was 21.