Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

terrified about moving back...

terrified about moving back...

Old Mar 25th 2010, 6:42 am
Account Closed

I_miss_real_beer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default terrified about moving back...

I'm a dual US/UK citizen. Looking to head back to the UK in the next few years with my american wife and our kid. I am terrified about moving back to the UK, I left when I was 17 with 5 GCSE's and joined the US Navy. I have a LOT of technical experience in the Electronic Warfare, Anti Submarine Warfare and general Naval aviation fields. But no formal college education.

I'm just worried that employers in the UK will see me as a 25 year old with 5 GCSE's and not much else. I looked into joining the RAF/RN doing a similar job as I am doing now. But I didnt meet the residency requirements to join. I couldnt even join the police force in the UK! I'm an ENGLISH CITIZEN, and hold a security clearance with the US Military, and they wont let me work any government job because I have been out of the country for so long.

How is the Job market over there for someone with my narrow set of skills? Anyone have any idea? I'd have no problem finding work if I stayed here, but I do miss England, and my wife an I dont really want to raise our kid in the states.

Anyone got any input or suggestions?
Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:24 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: terrified about moving back...

My brother in law is a New Zealander who was a Commander in the NZ navy.
He moved to the UK with his English wife 4yrs ago. They based themselves near Portsmouth and he has managed to forge a new career as a project manager with a private company doing stuff for the UK navy ships.
I would look into finding out what private companies are doing stuff for the navy and military and start approaching them.

Please be aware though that certain jobs are covered by the 3yr residency ruling, which even affected me on my return and i am British!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:31 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by I_miss_real_beer View Post
I'm a dual US/UK citizen. Looking to head back to the UK in the next few years with my american wife and our kid. I am terrified about moving back to the UK, I left when I was 17 with 5 GCSE's and joined the US Navy. I have a LOT of technical experience in the Electronic Warfare, Anti Submarine Warfare and general Naval aviation fields. But no formal college education.

I'm just worried that employers in the UK will see me as a 25 year old with 5 GCSE's and not much else. I looked into joining the RAF/RN doing a similar job as I am doing now. But I didnt meet the residency requirements to join. I couldnt even join the police force in the UK! I'm an ENGLISH CITIZEN, and hold a security clearance with the US Military, and they wont let me work any government job because I have been out of the country for so long.

How is the Job market over there for someone with my narrow set of skills? Anyone have any idea? I'd have no problem finding work if I stayed here, but I do miss England, and my wife an I dont really want to raise our kid in the states.

Look at this from a different point of view of the wide set of skills that you have. Military life gives you great personal qualities of self disipline, self reliance, leadership abuilities, ability to work with others, confidence, survival in extreme circumstances.
You do not need to continue in the 'military' field to put these to good use, they are just as useful in industry. Add to that your electronic technical skills and you are way ahead of others your age. Sure, not so advanced in the academic qualifications but have a good grounding, investigate further options, look into the ONC HNC college options to get some additional qual and show your determination.

I've known ex US military that retired while posted / living in UK and getting successful UK civvy employment.

My hubby was in Royal Navy as Engine Room Artificer, when he left he joined a manufacturing Co as a maintenance guy, demonstrated his abilities and personal worth and moved up eventually to design office, on to Dept Manager, Project Manager. He started with GCE's went to HNC college part time (in his 30's) to support his move up from maintenance guy. Takes effort but you are still young, no time like the present.

There are UK employers that seek ex military because of their personal qualities. I just now googled and found a number of them, http://www.4exmilitary.com/ , http://www.civvyjobs.com/ and more
Yes, they advertise for UK military but I 'm sure you could argue your equivalence.
Good Luck.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Here is another employment agency that deals specifically with ex-military personnel and have quite a few technical positions available. Why not phone them or send them a CV, they will be able to advise you:

http://www.demobjob.co.uk/

As the previous poster has demonstrated, if you do an Internet search, you will find quite a few agencies like this in the UK.

Last edited by johnh009; Mar 25th 2010 at 4:42 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:47 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Narrow set of skills ? After being in the Navy with extensive technical experience?

You will find that experience is more likely to get you a job in the UK . I think I am right in saying that the USA is very hung up on qualifications but the UK is not so exacting.

So shout about this experience and be positive in how it can be valued in a company. Perhaps have a professional CV done (very different layout to the USA).

Buena Suerte!
Old Mar 27th 2010, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Have a look if you could get a job with NATO..hubby is ex military and works since 7 years for Nato..fabulous employer and pays for the moves as well.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Just to throw a spanner (wrench) in the works (I am ex-military, also returning to the UK so this affects me), as you say, you will not be able to work on military projects until you meet the 3 year residency requirement. However, some civilian companies working on military contracts have a "blanket" coverage for all employees so it is important that you seek the advice of these companies employing ex-military personnel. And, failing that, there are plenty of companies in non-defence areas that will be glad of your experience.

Last edited by johnh009; Mar 28th 2010 at 2:50 am.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

I believe the three-year residency requirement is to enable British authorities to conduct security checks into a potential applicant's background. It is not just a restriction for sensitive government jobs as you have discovered, but also for other sensitive jobs where a certain level of security clearance is required, for example working in restricted areas at an airport. Working on defence related projects for a private company may also fall into this category. This will normally be spelled out in the job requirements.

Even though the OP has security clearance from overseas work (as indeed I have), I'm afraid the British authorities responsible will not approach overseas countries for security clearance assistance unless the person concerned is being cleared for a high ranking position.