Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Telling people I am leaving - my social experiment...

Wikiposts

Telling people I am leaving - my social experiment...

Old Jan 31st 2009, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Telling people I am leaving - my social experiment...

OK so a lot of others on this forum have been abused by Aussies or have had people express amazement at their wish to return to the UK.

So in the interests of a social experiment I have been telling a random selection of people (some I know, some I don't) about my plans, and not a single person has been negative so far.

Maybe it's the way I say it, a bit tactful eg saying I like it here but want to be in my own country with family around, or maybe my random selection are not v representative of the general population.

Anyway what I am getting at here is that you may find that (some) people are a lot kinder and more understanding than you may give them credit for.

Just my two pennies for the day...
Old Jan 31st 2009, 7:33 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telling people I am leaving - my social experiment...

Originally Posted by islandergirl
OK so a lot of others on this forum have been abused by Aussies or have had people express amazement at their wish to return to the UK.

So in the interests of a social experiment I have been telling a random selection of people (some I know, some I don't) about my plans, and not a single person has been negative so far.

Maybe it's the way I say it, a bit tactful eg saying I like it here but want to be in my own country with family around, or maybe my random selection are not v representative of the general population.

Anyway what I am getting at here is that you may find that (some) people are a lot kinder and more understanding than you may give them credit for.

Just my two pennies for the day...
I think you're right. As long as you say things in a way that doesn't make it sound like you are rejecting the people and the country, or hint that the UK might be better in some way, people seem to react more favourably.
We've hinted that we're going home to take some time out and make the most of the slow property market (we renovate). I think people think we're just going for a holiday and that we'll be back so it doesn't sound so offensive or final. It's diplomacy and tact at the end of the day.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 11:03 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Spot on. I have been wavering between UK and NZ. I think there are great things about both countries. At the moment I am thinking this is not the time to give up a well paid job in the UK, but I may change my mind in future. There are good and bad things in all countries. Being tactful about why you are thinking of leaving hopefully bypasses that knee-jerk reaction.

I have enjoyed reading the posts of those returning to the UK because it gives a more positive view of the country I live in that you get in the media here.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

I find that the people who have travelled are less critical.One of my neighbours was astonished we were returning.He is not very bright and I felt that he thought we lived in caves in Scotland.I have to bite my tongue re the sometimes "backward conditions" in Australia.Most of my Aussie friends think I'm doing the right thing.

Being a little naughty I will point out home truths when provoked by the "best country in the world mob".

It is fun
Old Feb 1st 2009, 1:17 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevin747

Being a little naughty I will point out home truths when provoked by the "best country in the world mob".

It is fun
Which mob is that then, the Aussies, Kiwis, Yanks or Canadians?
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
Which mob is that then, the Aussies, Kiwis, Yanks or Canadians?
Aussies
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:22 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I have a fool proof reply when asked whythe hell i would want to leave "utopia"

I just say I want to go home to help raise my grandchildren they cant argue with that and it is 50% of the reason why we are going. I just neglect to mention all the things i cannot bare about living here

I did have one person say "what a shame.maybe you could get your daugther to move down here" ... to which i replied "no... she hates the place with a passion" ...pmsl
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

My neighbour Noel (God's country Aussie)ran out to tell me that his mate died of a heart attack. His motive was that I put him right after provocation and I happened to be smoking a cigarette at the time.I simply replied that I was sorry and that I happen to believe that salt(used in enormous quantities here) may have been a factor.I chastised myself immediately for my 5 roll up a day habit.
He mumbled something about me going home before retreating to his shed to plan his next insult.

He sadly has worked 6 days per week ,12 hours per day until recently when he retired.He gives me and a Kiwi neighbour who is a teacher abuse for our un Australian desire for long working hours.When we chapped his door to wish him a Happy Xmas he muttered something about his daughter marrying "one of those new Australians"(Croatian) who all apparently beat their wives. He has no time for such pleasantries like Christmas.His wife left him for a drunk.(His story).The betamax recorder he bought her is still in the box.This is sad but true.I wonder why she left?.
He asked me if I had electricity in Scotland and opined that I was ruining my children's life by leaving a wonderful country with the "best education in the world". I am tryinh hard not totell him the truth.
Everyday he hopes to make a remark to my wife or I about "blowing town"
I think it would be pointless explaining anything to him.Should I tell him to G.T F.?
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:18 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

My neighbour Noel (God's country Aussie)ran out to tell me that his mate died of a heart attack. His motive was that I put him right after provocation and I happened to be smoking a cigarette at the time.I simply replied that I was sorry and that I happen to believe that salt(used in enormous quantities here) may have been a factor.I chastised myself immediately for my 5 roll up a day habit.
He mumbled something about me going home before retreating to his shed to plan his next insult.

He sadly has worked 6 days per week ,12 hours per day until recently when he retired.He gives me and a Kiwi neighbour who is a teacher abuse for our un Australian desire for long working hours.When we chapped his door to wish him a Happy Xmas he muttered something about his daughter marrying "one of those new Australians"(Croatian) who all apparently beat their wives. He has no time for such pleasantries like Christmas.His wife left him for a drunk.(His story).The betamax recorder he bought her is still in the box.This is sad but true.I wonder why she left?.
He asked me if I had electricity in Scotland and opined that I was ruining my children's life by leaving a wonderful country with the "best education in the world". I am tryinh hard not totell him the truth.
Everyday he hopes to make a remark to my wife or I about "blowing town"
I think it would be pointless explaining anything to him.Should I tell him to G.T F.?

I think you should just be glad that you have the option to choose anther option. He probably can't escape his life.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cricket1
I think you should just be glad that you have the option to choose anther option. He probably can't escape his life.
I am grateful.He embodies the extremes of the Australian work ethic. All work and no play.I genuinely feel pity for him. He is recently retired and his body is racked with arthritis due to a life of hard manual labour.
He heard through another that I was leaving ,so why give me a hard time?
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:38 pm
Banned

I am grateful.He embodies the extremes of the Australian work ethic. All work and no play.I genuinely feel pity for him. He is recently retired and his body is racked with arthritis due to a life of hard manual labour.
He heard through another that I was leaving ,so why give me a hard time?
I'm not. You posted a question, I answered.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cricket1
I'm not. You posted a question, I answered.
I meant him,not you.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

bubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud of

hi.well i am already back and thank god away from the abuse that my huband and i had when we had a business in perth.
people say you should be tactful!!!!!!!!!!
they were not tactful to us when we were told to p....off back to pomme land you pomme ....!!
i was in tears on many occasions so i think you shonld be honest as the aussies certainly were with us !
Old Feb 1st 2009, 10:20 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bubbles08
hi.well i am already back and thank god away from the abuse that my huband and i had when we had a business in perth.
they were not tactful to us when we were told to p....off back to pomme land you pomme ....!!
i was in tears on many occasions so i think you shonld be honest as the aussies certainly were with us !
Sorry to hear that! I remember when I lived in NZ before moving to the UK we tended to assume the pommies thought they were superior when in fact they probably didn't. Probably said more about our own (unacknowledged) feelings of inferiority. Still people didn't say it, that's rude and unkind. Take each person as you find them, I say.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bubbles08

Hey Bubbles, so how is it all going?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.