Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

TELL ME ABOUT SUMMER IN SCOTLAND 2008

Wikiposts

TELL ME ABOUT SUMMER IN SCOTLAND 2008

Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TELL ME ABOUT SUMMER IN SCOTLAND 2008

I absolutely love this thread.

Thanks for posting all of your thoughts on Scotland everyone. I want to be back there NOW, but will wait until next summer. It's hard being here in the US when I want to be back home, and know that I will be happy there. Just need to sort a few things out before I go, so have to be patient.............

On the SAD front, I suffer from it too. But, I will find a way to deal with it when I am back home. I am not particularly a sun lover, but do need that brightness now and again to up my mood. Will have to look into what will help me back home, as I don't want to move back and be depressed.........

Keep posting, I love hearing all the good points about Scotland. Also, I am from the Scottish Borders, and there are beautiful areas there too
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marmalade

Keep posting, I love hearing all the good points about Scotland. Also, I am from the Scottish Borders, and there are beautiful areas there too
Well, I'm off to Peebles tomorrow. Can I get you anything?
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G586
Well, I'm off to Peebles tomorrow. Can I get you anything?
You could drop by the Grey Auld Toon and say hello to my family

Now, let me see ~ a big bag of minstrels, worcestershire crisps, a local newspaper, maltesers, and lots and lots of chocolates

Ta

You lucky thing, how long will you be in the Borders
Old Oct 14th 2008, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

You could drop by the Grey Auld Toon and say hello to my family

Now, let me see ~ a big bag of minstrels, worcestershire crisps, a local newspaper, maltesers, and lots and lots of chocolates

Ta

You lucky thing, how long will you be in the Borders
Just the day, seeing the in-laws.

We came to Edinburgh to make work easier in 2001 and the in-laws moved up after they had several holidays in Peebles. We now live in West Lothian so pop over for the day. It's a great place.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Just the day, seeing the in-laws.

We came to Edinburgh to make work easier in 2001 and the in-laws moved up after they had several holidays in Peebles. We now live in West Lothian so pop over for the day. It's a great place.
Know the area well. I love Edinburgh ~ I visit there every time I am home, a wonderfully historic and beautiful city (in my eyes anyway).

Did you move back from anywhere seeing you are in the MBTTUK forum?
Old Oct 14th 2008, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the western suburbs of Edinburgh (Corstorphine), and in a nutshell Summer 2008 in Edinburgh and Scotland generally has been dreich a lot of the time.

On the whole the weather in Edinburgh is statistically drier and sunnier than it is in the western and north western parts of Scotland, especially in the Western Highlands where some regions have massive annual rainfall totals up in the mountains and among the lochs and glens.

June started off really cold and very wet here and all in all Scotland turned out to be quite a bit wetter and chillier than in England, and there was really heavy rain and flooding in many places especially in the Borders Region - south from Edinburgh towards the English border around Coldstream and near Berwick. Much of Southern Britain had a fairly dry and sunny June but not so up here in Scotland so much unfortunately.

July - not good a lot of the time - spells of rain at times and not very warm until the end of the month when it actually became quite hot on a couple of days with temperatures of +25C or above even up in Sutherland and Caithness.

August - basically crap - in much of Britain it was the dullest August since 1912, and at times wet with heavy rains. It was very cool most of the time and for two days around 20th/21st it poured down for about 36 hours in much of Eastern Scotland, including here. On some days it actually felt quite cold with no sun and heavy cloudy, miserable skies.

In the UK the Summer season officially means the period 01 June to 31 August.

Cheers.

PS: I also think that Edinburgh is a great city, but as I was born here and have lived here all my life so far I am just a wee bit biased.....

I am 100% Scottish on both sides - my paternal side is from around the Perth area, and my maternal from the Selkirk area, down in the Borders.

Last edited by Lothianlad; Oct 14th 2008 at 8:31 am.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 8:48 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I presume you know about SADD lights. I have one called a Lite Book. It's quite small with lots of LED lights, which are the best for this.

Makes a world of difference in the short days.

Bev
Old Oct 14th 2008, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bevm
I presume you know about SADD lights. I have one called a Lite Book. It's quite small with lots of LED lights, which are the best for this.

Bev
Yes, and I might have to get one when I move back to Scotland. Should really have one for the winters here, but have hung in there so far.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 9:14 am
Banned

Lookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bevm

Bev

new one on me, I will Google that and maybe have to get a FEW

It's either SADD lights or hats with corks dangling on string

Cheers
Old Oct 14th 2008, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

It wasn't 2008 but can I share a great memory please?

Had a big catchup on Islay with all my mates and a gorgeous summer day with views all the way to the Irish coast. Took the boys whisky sampling and then took a picnic down to Inerval way where we ate biscuits and Scottish cheddar washed down with plenty of French champagne and put the world to rights whilst lying back on the white sand looking up at the blue skies.

((Sobs))
Old Oct 14th 2008, 11:34 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
summer in Scotland? Often a contradiction of terms.
pmsl, but gotta agree, i love scotland but at least my memories are 'real', i remember rain, rain and more rain, (but i come from the west, the wettest part of scotland), i remember spending two weeks off work and not going out the house coz of the rain, wind and cold and that was in june, lol

but its home

Last edited by Margaret3; Oct 14th 2008 at 11:41 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Know the area well. I love Edinburgh ~ I visit there every time I am home, a wonderfully historic and beautiful city (in my eyes anyway).

Did you move back from anywhere seeing you are in the MBTTUK forum?
Well, we've been in the queue for Canada for the last 3/4 years & at end now but probably not going as the credit crunch has us crunched badly and it's much better to stay here now.

Always read this forum for balance and occasionally post if I can add something. Normally about housing as that is my specialty!
Old Oct 16th 2008, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Well, we've been in the queue for Canada for the last 3/4 years & at end now but probably not going as the credit crunch has us crunched badly and it's much better to stay here now.

Always read this forum for balance and occasionally post if I can add something. Normally about housing as that is my specialty!
You're more than welcome to post here. I know I and others love to gather first hand information on our homelands. What specifically do you want to stay in Scotland for as opposed to Canada (credit crunch aside)?
Old Oct 16th 2008, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

You're more than welcome to post here. I know I and others love to gather first hand information on our homelands. What specifically do you want to stay in Scotland for as opposed to Canada (credit crunch aside)?
Well, we have a far better relationship with in-laws since they moved up here and my sister had a baby and my Mum was in hospital lots so it all got a bit lively and we realised we couldn't manage stuff from across the pond!

The final straw was Zoom going and the credit crunch as we have had our investments stuffed & OH has a great job here and wouldn't be able to work in the same line abroad so there you go, life history in a nutshell!
Old Oct 16th 2008, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Well, we have a far better relationship with in-laws since they moved up here and my sister had a baby and my Mum was in hospital lots so it all got a bit lively and we realised we couldn't manage stuff from across the pond!

The final straw was Zoom going and the credit crunch as we have had our investments stuffed & OH has a great job here and wouldn't be able to work in the same line abroad so there you go, life history in a nutshell!
Sounds like you were being told where to stay, doesn't it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.