Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Telephone customer service in the UK

Telephone customer service in the UK

Old Sep 7th 2007, 10:35 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Telephone customer service in the UK

Is it just me, or is the standard of telephone customer service in the UK absolutely cr*p for everyone?

I am currently taking a whole day off to make phone calls - car insurance, BT phone bill, BT internet phone bill (which I just discovered is separate), BT internet service, AA membership, blah, blah, long list of companies I seem to have to regularly call because they didn't follow through with what they said they'd do last time I called.

I just waited on hold for BT (NOT a 0800 #, I might add) for over 20 minutes, eventually got through to Craig, who said he could sort out my requset. Took my phone number then .... silence. Cut off. Aaaaaarghhhh!!!!! :curse: I've now been sitting on hold for a further 15 minutes, still waiting.

What I want to know is: If he took my phone number before accidentally cutting me off, why couldn't he call me back?????

Customer service in the US was never, ever anywhere near as bad as I've seen in the past year here.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telephone customer service in the UK

Originally Posted by dunroving
Is it just me, or is the standard of telephone customer service in the UK absolutely cr*p for everyone?

I am currently taking a whole day off to make phone calls - car insurance, BT phone bill, BT internet phone bill (which I just discovered is separate), BT internet service, AA membership, blah, blah, long list of companies I seem to have to regularly call because they didn't follow through with what they said they'd do last time I called.

I just waited on hold for BT (NOT a 0800 #, I might add) for over 20 minutes, eventually got through to Craig, who said he could sort out my requset. Took my phone number then .... silence. Cut off. Aaaaaarghhhh!!!!! :curse: I've now been sitting on hold for a further 15 minutes, still waiting.

What I want to know is: If he took my phone number before accidentally cutting me off, why couldn't he call me back?????

Customer service in the US was never, ever anywhere near as bad as I've seen in the past year here.

Oh my gosh, I just had exactly the same experience -- except mine was for 45 mins and from the US, so God only knows what my phone bill will be like next month. To really add insult, when he asked to put me on hold I jokingly asked him not to cut me off and he promised not to lose me. Ha. He had just taken my contact number as well, so I couldn't believe he didn't call me back. The second time I called was another 40 minutes,. even though I waited until 9 p.m., a time when they supposedly weren't as busy, only to find that because I'm in a new building they couldn't find the line they needed to put me on. This is even though they do have a line into the building and there are already other renters there WITH BT PHONE SERVICE. So frustrating.

The service does seem to be appalling all round. Looking at on-line reviews of broadband providers, it seems as though they start out great and as soon as they get too many subscribers just disintegrate. My uncle has had horrible experiences. His recent one has seen him without service for two months. He called 8 or 9 times until the problem was finally kicked up to the head office. Now he's been told they won't get him back on line until the head office has done an "investigation," which can take weeks. Unbelievable.

It does worry me a little, as everything I do is online, and I've only had one time of intense disruption here -- and that was due to no power because of Hurricane Isabel. It seems the phone companies in the UK do have a lot to learn. I'm now going to try TruBrit's suggestion of Vodafone and see if I do any better there.

Good luck with your wasted day off!
Old Sep 7th 2007, 8:57 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

On the whole I do think it is better over here (US). They are more polite anyway. When I have to call a UK helpline I am reminded how bad it can be.

Having said that...Verizon Wireless win the prize this month for being absolutely useless, taking 1 hour and 45 mins to try and sort something out, getting it wrong, further phone call of equal length, still wrong...I've given up. OH can try next time:curse::curse::curse:
Old Sep 7th 2007, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute

Just to update, I had a very positive experience with Vodafone today. Only a few minutes to get through and a very nice rep. She still couldn't help me because the house apparently isn't registered with Royal Mail (brand new build), but she did help me get the number to call at Royal Mail and was altogether very helpful. So, like anything, I suppose it depends who you work with and the kind of day they're having.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

I just waited on hold for BT (NOT a 0800 #, I might add) for over 20 minutes
You probably dialled an 0870 number, where you pay them to keep you on hold as they are higher rate numbers and they get a commission.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 6:46 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon its a worldwide problem. These places are filled mostly with younger people who truly dont give a toss about the customer and merely sit there all day to get their pay cheque and leave.

I have had a horrendous time with Hewlett Packard this week. My Aussie purchased laptop blew up and is less than a year old so under international warranty. I dont want to raise my blood pressure by explaining the whole story, but i basically spent 54mins on the phone to India being charged 8p a minute arguing with a woman i could barely understand trying to get them to send someone to repair it. Saying that, i had several experiences like that in all the other countries i have lived in so, as i said before i think its a general lack of good attitude rather than specific to one country.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 8:42 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Customer service in big call centres are always going to be a problem. I'm in OZ and i find the service here as rubbish as the UK to be honest. But thats customer service for you
Old Sep 8th 2007, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Just be glad you're not having to call British Gas for anything..........what a nightmare it was dealing with them. Absolutely the worst customer service experience I have ever dealt with on two continents.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 9:00 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Try getting something done here in BC. Customer service is almost always automated and if not, best of luck deciphering whatever they are trying to say. :curse: I vote for Shaw/Rogers and Telus as the absolute worst, closely followed by any government department you care to pick.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scout
Just be glad you're not having to call British Gas for anything..........what a nightmare it was dealing with them. Absolutely the worst customer service experience I have ever dealt with on two continents.
i had to call them last monday re the 3 star service on my gas boiler in the uk. i wasn't on hold but for a few mins and the lady i spoke to was very obliging and accommodating and i had no probs.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 9:19 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i had to call them last monday re the 3 star service on my gas boiler in the uk. i wasn't on hold but for a few mins and the lady i spoke to was very obliging and accommodating and i had no probs.
I have dealt with a lot of service providers in the UK and the US over the past few years and have found the UK lot much more polite, helpful and above all human. I hate the US 'how can I be of service sorry can't help you have a nice day now piss off attitude'...
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
It took us over 9 months to get our gas account sorted with them. We eventually had to go thru Energy Watch to get it sorted. We moved back to the UK in November of 2005 ...British Gas put us on the token plan until we could get into the billing system........the cards wouldn't work, snow was on the ground, we had no heat for days at a time, we would call and get switched to a dozen different people, be put on hold for 30 minutes at a time, they would tell us they didn't supply to our address, they overbilled the account, etc. It was really not a nice experience at all.

We finally managed to get switched over to SWALEC and have had no problems whatsoever with them......but were still dealing with sorting out British Gas 5 months after we had switched the account over.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 1:09 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scout
I.........were still dealing with sorting out British Gas 5 months after we had switched the account over.
Email this chap - he is the CEO of British Gas:

[email protected]>

Old Sep 12th 2007, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt anyone I ever deal with in the future will be a patch on Q-Tel
Old Sep 13th 2007, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
I doubt anyone I ever deal with in the future will be a patch on Q-Tel
I have to say that I think the CS in England far surpasses anything here in Canada, Here they talk to you like a bit of shite and nothing ever gets done, where as in england I always found them very nice and obliging.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.