Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Teenager - return to UK missed GCSE's

Teenager - return to UK missed GCSE's

Old Mar 21st 2009, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Griff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud of
Default Teenager - return to UK missed GCSE's

Hi
We are considering a permanent return to the UK this summer. Our dilemma is our 16yr old daughter who has missed taking her GCSE's in the UK school system - we know she could go to college to take them but would like to hear from anyone who has knowledge/experience of difficulties doing the move the other way round from a teenagers education perspective.

Thanks
Elaine
Old Mar 21st 2009, 10:08 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teenager - return to UK missed GCSE's

Originally Posted by Griff
Hi
We are considering a permanent return to the UK this summer. Our dilemma is our 16yr old daughter who has missed taking her GCSE's in the UK school system - we know she could go to college to take them but would like to hear from anyone who has knowledge/experience of difficulties doing the move the other way round from a teenagers education perspective.

Thanks
Elaine
I can't help but would suggest that, in the first instance, you ring or email the Education Authority of the borough where you are likely to settle.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
Elaine
Hi,

Not sure which overseas country your currently living but we are in Aus, our son is in year 11 here,(different inthe U.K)15 turning 16 later on in the year, we were returning home last year but our home did not sell, we did contact the schools we were interested direct and I recommend you doing that as we really did get some great help and information, our son would of started his GCSE's last Sept 08 which would of been great but alas as I said our home did not sell, anyway we have since contacted the colleges direct and again they have been really helpful, they have sent course information etc over and have said it will not be a problem our son will not have any formal certs to state at that he has passed subjects as if he finishes school at the end of this year (09) he will only have a level report on how he is doing in his Tee's subjects...we exlained this to the colleges and they do seem very use to this and have said not a problem they will either test the student or will take formal"reports" from his High School. GCSE's would take 1 year at college full time (my SIL teaches at College and has also confirmed this) and then Students can either study A levels, or Btec's (worth 3 A levels) or even NVQ's or just leave and find work.

Hope this has not confused you to much...

All the best
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

Griff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud of

Hi brits1

Thank-you for your helpful response - some of which after almost 24 hrs researching on the web I can confirm myself which is giving me hope. Your experience of speaking directly with colleges and them being quite unfazed by this scenario ..lack of quals is great to hear.
We are in Canada...we just have to convince our daughter that this is not going to be the end of the world for her...how was your son feeling around his return? i hope it goes ahead for you soon..we similarly have a house to sell
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 3:29 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Also bear in mind that unless she has 3 years residence in the United Kingdom, she may be liable for international fees at university => may need to put off university for a few years as a result.

How long have you been away and was it a permanent move?
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

Does that ruling apply when you are a British citizen, I can't believe that for the sake of 2yrs away they could make a British national forfeit this position - (if it was us doing this the other way around in Canada I could understand it - we have not contributed long enough to the Canadian economy)

We have been away 2yrs and yes we planned this as permanent but what you plan and what you feel actually living it can be different in the real world.
OH had taken a career break - which we didn't expect to revert back to but for us this is our opportunity to return and what we feel we need to do.
I think we might just make the 3 year timescale if we get back this summer
Thanks for advice...
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 4:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Does that ruling apply when you are a British citizen, I can't believe that for the sake of 2yrs away they could make a British national forfeit this position - (if it was us doing this the other way around in Canada I could understand it - we have not contributed long enough to the Canadian economy)

We have been away 2yrs and yes we planned this as permanent but what you plan and what you feel actually living it can be different in the real world.
OH had taken a career break - which we didn't expect to revert back to but for us this is our opportunity to return and what we feel we need to do.
Thanks for advice...
Yes it does apply to British citizens. The main reason for this is that the current British government does not believe in putting British citizens first and if it tried to do so, it would have to give the same benefits to all of the EU. At least, as long as Britain remains in the EU.

Some people have worked around the rule by claiming that their absence was temporary and they were still resident in the U.K. throughout. No idea whether you would have any chance of making this argument.

Are you permanent residents in Canada? If so, it might make more sense to go to university in Canada.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 6:24 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for advice...
By the time she has finished her A-levels and done a gap year, she will have clocked up the requisite 3 years!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

We're in exactly the same boat. Even did a petition to the gov't on this one (see below). Actually, the Brit gov't don't treat the rest of the EU the same way - if you've lived in ANY EU country for 3 years, you're exempt of paying overseas fees. I won't go on as it all then turns into a big barny about having not paid tax for the past few years in the UK etc, but the UK is one of the only countries that so quickly turns its back on its own citizens.

We were told there'd be no problem with our son doing his 'A's using his NSW School Certificate. He's just started Yr11 here so he'd have to restart his 'A's in September and do a gap year to comply....if we ever get back that is. Hubby applied for a job last night and I've been up panicking since 4am worrying about what we'd do if he actually got it! Suddenly, we seem to have so much to lose by leaving here....aaaagh!

By the way, have you seen all the recent news on UK uni's looking to radically increase the cost of uni...up to 7 to 11,000 quid per year! Something to think about.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:20 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for advice...
I understand how it must make people feel cross that what they believe is a right as a British Citizen is not so, but it might make it more bearable if you think of it from the point of view of taxpayers who have stayed behind.

As a British taxpayer all these years I don't really see why my taxes should go toward subsidising a university education for the children of those who chose to leave the country and pay their taxes elsewhere. Some of these very people have left complaining about high taxes in this country and then expect their child's education to be paid for! I would prefer my taxes to go towards some of the economic and social difficulties that the UK is facing right now.

Yes, some of you might have paid taxes previously, but this went towards the free health care you recieved, the state pension and the benefits you will receive if you lose your job. This subsidy for university education has not been removed, but you are being asked to give three years of comitment to staying in this country and contributing to its welfare. Sounds reasonable to me. Your kids could quite easily then take off and give some other country the benefit of the state sponsored education they have received.

This thread is extremely useful for those thinking of immigrating with children. Be prepared for the impact on them if for some reason you need to return.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 12:12 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
I understand how it must make people feel cross that what they believe is a right as a British Citizen is not so, but it might make it more bearable if you think of it from the point of view of taxpayers who have stayed behind.

As a British taxpayer all these years I don't really see why my taxes should go toward subsidising a university education for the children of those who chose to leave the country and pay their taxes elsewhere. Some of these very people have left complaining about high taxes in this country and then expect their child's education to be paid for! I would prefer my taxes to go towards some of the economic and social difficulties that the UK is facing right now.

Yes, some of you might have paid taxes previously, but this went towards the free health care you recieved, the state pension and the benefits you will receive if you lose your job. This subsidy for university education has not been removed, but you are being asked to give three years of comitment to staying in this country and contributing to its welfare. Sounds reasonable to me. Your kids could quite easily then take off and give some other country the benefit of the state sponsored education they have received.

This thread is extremely useful for those thinking of immigrating with children. Be prepared for the impact on them if for some reason you need to return.
I agree.

Last edited by Cookie; Mar 24th 2009 at 12:16 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 12:32 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh

Yes, some of you might have paid taxes previously, but this went towards the free health care you recieved, the state pension and the benefits you will receive if you lose your job.
Free health care, since when has there been free health care in the UK before we left we were paying 300 pounds a month NI. I was under the impression that some of that went towards the NHS, could have got a bloody good private insurance for a % of that.

edit: not dissing the UK by any means so please dont start an Aus v UK debate lol

Last edited by wardy2; Mar 24th 2009 at 12:34 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 1:15 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wardy2
Free health care, since when has there been free health care in the UK before we left we were paying 300 pounds a month NI. I was under the impression that some of that went towards the NHS, could have got a bloody good private insurance for a % of that.

edit: not dissing the UK by any means so please dont start an Aus v UK debate lol
I think he means free at source. For instance we pay health insurance in the US but that is only the tip of the iceburg as that is not 100% coverage. We still have to pay co-pays for everything, plus deductibles. Whilst in the UK if you go for a visit to the NHS doctor you don't have to pay any further money for the consultation, so in that sense it's free at the source.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 1:28 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the expalnation sue I now see what they were getting at
Old Mar 24th 2009, 2:45 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
I think he means free at source. For instance we pay health insurance in the US but that is only the tip of the iceburg as that is not 100% coverage. We still have to pay co-pays for everything, plus deductibles. Whilst in the UK if you go for a visit to the NHS doctor you don't have to pay any further money for the consultation, so in that sense it's free at the source.
I think that is the part so many people don't understand. I have fantastic insurance right now, medical/dental/optical (we've been without in the past) but still check my bank if someone gets ill, and try not to schedule too many doctor visits for the family in a month or so, as I still will get a bunch of bills in the mail. Next months bills will take a huge chunk from our budget, both Dh and I got sick right after each other

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.