Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Teen returning to UK from Aus - education??

Wikiposts

Teen returning to UK from Aus - education??

Old Jun 14th 2009, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Teen returning to UK from Aus - education??

My eldest is returning to the UK, now the one who turns 16 this year wants to return too.

Basically we promised them we would be leaving australia, got job offer in Canada, then due to a fairly awful set of circumstances and recession it fell through. All of us still want to go to Canada, however its not going to happen till we get a job offer....

So at 16 he will have done aussie grade 10 ( qld ) . As I understand it, there is not formal qualification for that. He has always wanted to do university. So he needs A levels, but he wont have GCSE's !!!

I assume he would then have to go back and do another 4 years of education in UK (GCSE then A level)

I really need some advice from those who have returned with teens or know anything about aus teens returning to UK system, thats the info I cant get, Aussie teens going back have no GCSE?

OMG I tell you
Old Jun 14th 2009, 3:21 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids returning to UK from Aus - schooling etc

Originally Posted by jad n rich
My eldest is returning to the UK, now the one who turns 16 this year wants to return too.

Basically we promised them we would be leaving australia, got job offer in Canada, then due to a fairly awful set of circumstances and recession it fell through. All of us still want to go to Canada, however its not going to happen till we get a job offer....

So at 16 he will have done aussie grade 10 ( qld ) . As I understand it, there is not formal qualification for that. He has always wanted to do university. So he needs A levels, but he wont have GCSE's !!!

I assume he would then have to go back and do another 4 years of education in UK (GCSE then A level)

I really need some advice from those who have returned with teens or know anything about aus teens returning to UK system, thats the info I cant get, Aussie teens going back have no GCSE?

OMG I tell you
Canadian not Aus but....mine needed Grade 12 plus American AP's to get in to Uni in the UK. Don't forget the three year residency requirement to get home student status though. My eldest is back in the UK, eldest son now wants to join her so he "can have a life too".
Old Jun 14th 2009, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
Canadian not Aus but....mine needed Grade 12 plus American AP's to get in to Uni in the UK. Don't forget the three year residency requirement to get home student status though. My eldest is back in the UK, eldest son now wants to join her so he "can have a life too".

Know about the 3 yr rule, thanks very important point for ex poms.

I know he will need to do A levels to get to uni, but dont know if they will let him do A levels with aussie grade 10 instead of UK's GCSE.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 4:31 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I know he will need to do A levels to get to uni, but dont know if they will let him do A levels with aussie grade 10 instead of UK's GCSE.
They should. I was already making inquiries when mine was in Grade 10 here, and all the sixth form colleges were quite receptive, though a few mentioned she might struggle in the first year with the required catch up on English/History. This informed my decision to wait, have her do the additional AP's and let her run. She hasn't looked back since. I mean to add that I sent the Gr 10 curriculum to a few schools - this made a huge difference in their positive responses.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teen returning to UK from Aus - education??

Check with Ezzie, she has had moving home thoughts and has teenage kids so I am sure she will be on top of all this.

You would think that there would be ways of dealing with it because yours cant be the only kids wanting to make the move back at that age.

All the best!!!!
Old Jun 15th 2009, 6:55 am
Just Joined

clothes.over.bros.xo is just really niceclothes.over.bros.xo is just really niceclothes.over.bros.xo is just really niceclothes.over.bros.xo is just really niceclothes.over.bros.xo is just really niceclothes.over.bros.xo is just really niceclothes.over.bros.xo is just really niceclothes.over.bros.xo is just really nice

I don't know how helpful this is, but I'm returning to the UK to finish schooling also -- I've just completed grade eleven and I'm allowed to go back and just start where I would be if I had lived there the whole time. Qualifications from different countries convert --- i don't think your son would have to do four more years. He would just have to take his transcripts and when he arrives arrange to take the GCSEs. Sorry if this doesnt answer your question - this whole thing has been quite straightforward for me.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by clothes.over.bros.xo
I don't know how helpful this is, but I'm returning to the UK to finish schooling also -- I've just completed grade eleven and I'm allowed to go back and just start where I would be if I had lived there the whole time. Qualifications from different countries convert --- i don't think your son would have to do four more years. He would just have to take his transcripts and when he arrives arrange to take the GCSEs. Sorry if this doesnt answer your question - this whole thing has been quite straightforward for me.

Well thats hopeful.

Will contact ezzie.

I asked teacher relative in the Uk before this post and thats where I got the 4more years education from It was a saturday morning maybe they had a flippin hangover, also a very pro australia person, cant see why we would leave, hummmm

Anybody else with experience of teens returning I would love to hear about it.

Thanks guys
Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

scotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nice

Re the 3 year rule - How will they know if you don't tell them?
Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

I haven't looked into this problem (yet!), but I can pass on some second hand information I was given when I discussed it with someone who had returned to the UK with a 16 year old daughter who had been educated in Europe (so did not have GCSEs), but who wanted to enrol for A-levels. She was allowed to enrol on the basis that she was able to demonstrate that the work she had done was of equivalent standard to GCSEs. I think she had to provide a copy of the curriculum for each subject, along with copies of her assignments etc as well as her school reports. I got the impression that it was pretty much up to the 6th form college/school to make its own assessment as to whether to allow her to enrol or not.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:39 pm
Cynically amused.

Originally Posted by scotty9000
Re the 3 year rule - How will they know if you don't tell them?
You have to provide your address for the last three years to Student Finance. They check it.