Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Teaching jobs in Scotland and England

Teaching jobs in Scotland and England

Old Mar 13th 2013, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Teaching jobs in Scotland and England

I am a 60 year old former Business Education/Accounting/English teacher who would love to find a job teaching in Scotland (where I was trained) or England - but I haven't taught in a few years. I wouldn't mind lecturing in college either - have done that, too.

What are the chances and how do I find out if I have to take some classes to renew my license (although I do have a lifetime certification in Scotland but perhaps it has to be renewed since I have been gone 30 years).
Old Mar 13th 2013, 3:40 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching jobs in Scotland and England

Originally Posted by windsong
I am a 60 year old former Business Education/Accounting/English teacher who would love to find a job teaching in Scotland (where I was trained) or England - but I haven't taught in a few years. I wouldn't mind lecturing in college either - have done that, too.

What are the chances and how do I find out if I have to take some classes to renew my license (although I do have a lifetime certification in Scotland but perhaps it has to be renewed since I have been gone 30 years).
I think you are more likely to get work either as a supply teacher, or maybe as a part-time lecturer at an FE college. The pay isn't great for the latter, I'm not sure about supply teacher pay.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I think you are more likely to get work either as a supply teacher, or maybe as a part-time lecturer at an FE college. The pay isn't great for the latter, I'm not sure about supply teacher pay.
I assume a supply teacher is probably the same as a substitute teacher in the USA. Not really keen on that as I like to have a job that's more of a career.

The part-time lecturer option does appeal, though. Besides, it might lead to full-time eventually. I would actually love this.

Where are the Scottish (or English for that matter) lecturer positions usually advertised?
Old Mar 13th 2013, 3:49 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I assume a supply teacher is probably the same as a substitute teacher in the USA. Not really keen on that as I like to have a job that's more of a career.

The part-time lecturer option does appeal, though. Besides, it might lead to full-time eventually. I would actually love this.

Where are the Scottish (or English for that matter) lecturer positions usually advertised?
You could try www.jobs.ac.uk and http://jobs.timeshighereducation.co.uk/ - generally, though, these are mostly full-time or fixed term part-time (e.g., 0.6 FTE) "positions" - so, a three day a week position, with tasks to be agreed with the line manager.

Other sorts of P-T teachng (like being paid to teach one class) don't appear in these places - it is often very much a word of mouth situation. If you know which city you will be in, you could send a letter to the department head at any colleges or universities in the area, with a CV.

Last edited by dunroving; Mar 13th 2013 at 3:52 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
You could try www.jobs.ac.uk and http://jobs.timeshighereducation.co.uk/ - generally, though, these are mostly full-time or fixed term part-time (e.g., 0.6 FTE) "positions" - so, a three day a week position, with tasks to be agreed with the line manager.

Other sorts of P-T teachng (like being paid to teach one class) don't appear in these places - it is often very much a word of mouth situation. If you know which city you will be in, you could send a letter to the department head at any colleges or universities in the area, with a CV.
Thank you, Dunroving. It would most likely be Fife, Stirlingshire or Edinburgh area, depending where I find a job.

My CV has more business experience on it than it does teaching experience. I wonder if that would stand against me. I do have outstanding teaching references, though.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Does anyone know how the English educational standards differ from Scotland's these days?

How do the teacher qualifications between the two countries differ? In Scotland, I have a lifetime certification (supposedly lifetime although not sure if I need to "refresh" it somehow because I have been out of the country) in secondary education. I wonder if this certification is necessary in England. Does anyone know?
Old Mar 18th 2013, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to behold

To teach in a college directly employed by them you will usually need a PGCE, PGDE or DTLLS. They'll employ people through agencies mostly on ad hoc sometimes covering long term sick who may not be fully qualified. But you wont find many colleges at all that will be looking for anyone with less.

Universities are different, most dont require any teaching qualifications but work off industry experience and maybe MA.

You do need be registered though for FE level and will need to renew. http://www.gtcs.org.uk/registration/eligibility.aspx
Old Mar 19th 2013, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shellyj
To teach in a college directly employed by them you will usually need a PGCE, PGDE or DTLLS. They'll employ people through agencies mostly on ad hoc sometimes covering long term sick who may not be fully qualified. But you wont find many colleges at all that will be looking for anyone with less.

Universities are different, most dont require any teaching qualifications but work off industry experience and maybe MA.

You do need be registered though for FE level and will need to renew. http://www.gtcs.org.uk/registration/eligibility.aspx
Thank you!

My certification is from the General Teaching Council for Scotland and I am/was certified through college-level education - and secondary school. I looked at the link you gave and, as far as I can tell, I pass all the requirements. I just don't know if not teaching in Scotland for 30 years means I have to take some classes now in order to teach in high schools again. I already completed the two years probationary teaching to receive lifetime certification

Having said that, I'd really much prefer to teach in college or university. I preferred it in the USA, too. If I choose this path, I may not have to take additional classes to renew my certification. My undergrad degree is in business and I have 30 years business experience to add to it, so that should count for something.

I don't know how far this certification would take me in England, though. There used to be a different system there and perhaps there still is.

What are PGCE, PGDE and DTLLS? Are these English certifications? (If they are Scottish, please excuse; I haven't looked at my certification in a very long time - but I do still have it.)

I really should phone the General Teaching Council in Scotland and find out where I stand. I should make the same phone call to England, too, but I don't know where to call.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 1:45 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

If you are qualified for 'life' but, out of the system for a bit, then supply teaching (sub) might be just the right thing to display your knowledge of the current lay of the land.

This is my plan in America, I just got my teaching status recognized in America, on the basis of my 25 year plus old English teacher training, but I am currently doing sub work (actually now doing assistant teacher sub work, as I have only just got the US teaching certificate)
I hope doing sub work in a variety of schools will demonstrate my knowledge of local procedures and standards. (and get some local contemporary teaching references)
Old Mar 21st 2013, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kimilseung
If you are qualified for 'life' but, out of the system for a bit, then supply teaching (sub) might be just the right thing to display your knowledge of the current lay of the land.

This is my plan in America, I just got my teaching status recognized in America, on the basis of my 25 year plus old English teacher training, but I am currently doing sub work (actually now doing assistant teacher sub work, as I have only just got the US teaching certificate)
I hope doing sub work in a variety of schools will demonstrate my knowledge of local procedures and standards. (and get some local contemporary teaching references)
I wish you the best of luck with this. I found it quite a bit different to teach in American schools compared to Scottish schools as regards what you would expect in the classroom and of fellow teachers. Of course, that was quite a few years ago now. Somehow it was just "different".

I might try to get a job in further education and, since my main subject is Business Education, I hope my years spent in business in the USA will serve me well in this regard.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kimilseung

Have you found that the education standards in the UK to be different from the USA? Thirty years ago there was a huge gap with the standards, generally speaking, in the USA being lower. I wonder if this is still the case.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 2:35 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Have you found that the education standards in the UK to be different from the USA? Thirty years ago there was a huge gap with the standards, generally speaking, in the USA being lower. I wonder if this is still the case.
I am too long out of the UK to say.