Wikiposts

Tax year revisited

Old Sep 8th 2018, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

barkus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax year revisited

Hello, less than two weeks to go, I have read a bit about taxes and the tax year, just want to be sure, will I have to pay taxes from April 2017? I read that establishing residency or not resident for tax purposes could get complicated.
I intend to get bank account NI etc. and maybe be part time work when I arrive to try and start establishing some credit record. What will be my situation? As I have income from foreign sources I don;t really have to start off as a resident of that type, because I intend to return to Bahamas in two to three months to check on my business, then really be in for the long haul after that,
Thanks Barkus
Old Sep 9th 2018, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax year revisited

Originally Posted by barkus
Hello, less than two weeks to go, I have read a bit about taxes and the tax year, just want to be sure, will I have to pay taxes from April 2017? I read that establishing residency or not resident for tax purposes could get complicated.
I intend to get bank account NI etc. and maybe be part time work when I arrive to try and start establishing some credit record. What will be my situation? As I have income from foreign sources I don;t really have to start off as a resident of that type, because I intend to return to Bahamas in two to three months to check on my business, then really be in for the long haul after that,
Thanks Barkus
The tax year runs from April to April, so if you are returning in two weeks the applicable tax year is April 2018 to April 2019. I am not an accountant, but the general rule is that the date you arrive to establish your residency will be the date you will start to become liable for UK income tax. You will then complete your tax return with the appropriate figures from that date for the partial tax year, and not the whole year, and put a note to that effect on the return.