Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What is the best way to approach companies for a job offer for a spouse visa :)

What is the best way to approach companies for a job offer for a spouse visa :)

Old Sep 22nd 2017, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

Lovesfrogs is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile What is the best way to approach companies for a job offer for a spouse visa :)

Hello .new on here and a little help required if possible
I am a British citizen and have been living outside the UK for 5 years. I have a work visa in NZ and since arriving here I have fallen in love with and married a New Zealander. We have decided we want to come live in the UK so I can be closer to my parents.
Having talked with an advisor they suggested the spouse route to be the best. As we don't have the $62,000 in saving g we will have to apply with me having a job offer. We both plan to come over together so I need to find a place to work that is willing to 'wait' while the visa process happens. What I would like help with is how do I approach companies with my situation, can anyone here give me some ideas and suggestions. I am worried if I put a cover letter with a cv explaining they will be put off straight away.
Thank-you for taking the time to read this
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 8:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the best way to approach companies for a job offer for a spouse visa :)

I am not sure what your point is. You need a job, full stop.

You applying for a spouse visa has nothing to do with your prospective employer, so there is no need to tell them anything. Indeed it would be illegal for the prospective employer to ask, or to take such information into account, when deciding whether or not to offer you a job.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: What is the best way to approach companies for a job offer for a spouse visa :)

But it kind of does as I will be applying for a job from NZ and the visa process can be a little lengthy from what I have read. I am guessing if I get a job offer I have to wait in NZ with my husband till his visa is decided. This will impact on the employer and my start date? Or am I able to come back and start the job whilst my husband's visa is being decided?
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

I don't fully understand how it works hence the question...
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 8:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lovesfrogs
But it kind of does as I will be applying for a job from NZ and the visa process can be a little lengthy from what I have read. I am guessing if I get a job offer I have to wait in NZ with my husband till his visa is decided. This will impact on the employer and my start date? Or am I able to come back and start the job whilst my husband's visa is being decided?
So you want your prospective employer to wait for an indeterminate additional length of time before you can start work, compared to someone in the UK who can start as soon as they have served their notice period in their current job? .... Good luck with that!
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

You can go ahead to the UK and start the job and your husband can join you when his visa has been approved.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by adele
You can go ahead to the UK and start the job and your husband can join you when his visa has been approved.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Adele, I haven't been down this road before so simply trying to find out how to do this. That is really awesome to find out and now I can start applying without worrying about how to logistically make it work .
Pulaski....really no need to be rude is there...simply here to find out how it all works as it is a little confusing!
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Adele, I haven't been down this road before so simply trying to find out how to do this. That is really awesome to find out and now I can start applying without worrying about how to logistically make it work .
Pulaski....really no need to be rude is there...simply here to find out how it all works as it is a little confusing!
I didnt find Pulaski's response rude at all, just a bit obvious. I am sure in NZ it would be same situation if someone wanted to move there, few employers would just hold a job open until a visa situation resolved for the spouse.

Frustrating I know, I have been in same situation.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

I wasn't aware that I could come over whilst the visa was processing, now I do know. Which is great . My question may have seemed silly but I wasn't aware this was an option
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 8:41 pm

.... Pulaski....really no need to be rude is there...simply here to find out how it all works as it is a little confusing!
Sorry, no offence was meant, but it is only "confusing" because you are making it so.

It is not uncommon for married couples to be kept apart for years because of work needs, and I think your husband will survive for a few weeks without you by his side if you need to travel ahead to start a job.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 8:45 pm

I wasn't aware that I could come over whilst the visa was processing, now I do know. Which is great . My question may have seemed silly but I wasn't aware this was an option
You could be living in the UK and apply for a visa for your husband without you ever having lived in NZ. You don't need to be in NZ for any part of the visa application process for your husband. .... I know, my wife applied for a spouse visa from the US despite me not living there or indeed ever having lived there.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Knowing now that I can head back whilst his visa is processing is awesome, this forum is great for advice. Thank you all for your words of wisdom
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 8:52 pm

Knowing now that I can head back whilst his visa is processing is awesome, this forum is great for advice. Thank you all for your words of wisdom
You're welcome, good luck! ..... Advice is what we do, even if sometimes it comes across as a little blunt.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Here on BE folks have a great amount of knowledge regarding UK spouse visas etc, but we do expect posters to have done a little research themselves first. As they say, "google is your friend" and there are government websites that contain the information, albeit sometimes well hidden! Having said that , do you currently have a job in NZ paying the equivalent of £18,600 ? Have you held it for 12 months? If so you need a job offer from a UK company to start within 3 months of you returning. In this case your husband can travel with you once the visa is approved. The alternative is for you to return to UK , get a job paying £18,600 then after 6 months, you can apply to sponsor your husband to join you. Here's the details Appendix_FM_Annex_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

do you have any children, if so they need to get British passports as they will be British by descent.
Have a look at the link then please come back with any other questions and someone on BE will have the answers! Unless your husband has something like criminal convictions etc you do not need an immigration agent - BE folks have all the answers for you to do it yourself!
Good luck for the future and I hope it all works out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.