Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

A taste of England in a box

A taste of England in a box

Old Sep 5th 2010, 4:02 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default A taste of England in a box

In case you are missing some "British Food" you might like this graphic from the New York Times today:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...son.html?hp&hp

Military Combat Rations of the World.

Sorry to say the UK one doesn't look all that appetizing. Then again, none really look that yummy.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 4:05 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A taste of England in a box

Originally Posted by penguinsix
In case you are missing some "British Food" you might like this graphic from the New York Times today:

Sorry to say the UK one doesn't look all that appetizing. Then again, none really look that yummy.
That curry in the British pack takes me right back to the toilet thread...

Edited to add: well, I looked at some of the others too. result: I'm glad I'm a civilian who can cook his own food, and can also visit nice restaurants...
Old Sep 5th 2010, 4:14 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

yes some of them are really odd looking.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 4:17 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Rat packs are a lot more appetizing than they look in that picture.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 12:00 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix

personally I think that the packages from Denmark and Ukraine look the least appealing
Old Sep 5th 2010, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

chrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to all

Originally Posted by elfman
personally I think that the packages from Denmark and Ukraine look the least appealing
I'd agree with that. I actually think the UK one looks pretty good to be honest, plenty of goodies there too. I can't imagine the quality of the Canadian steak or the American ribs.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Is the US pack the only one to contain toilet paper? Kind of an odd thing to include with a meal ration ... don't you think?

I thought Australia looked pretty good.

Which country's MRE would you pick? Britain's or a different one?

Last edited by Kaffy Mintcake; Sep 5th 2010 at 2:51 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 2:51 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Is the US pack the only one to contain toilet paper? Kind of an odd thing to include with a meal ration ... don't you think?
Up until a few decades ago, US MREs used to include a pack of Lucky Strike.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Up until a few decades ago, US MREs used to include a pack of Lucky Strike.
Hold the filter, eh? I think I'd heard that before but had forgotten it.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 4:09 pm

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about todays ration packs but they used to come with 9 sheets of single ply. You don't want to know how they were supposed to be used.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by sime303
I don't know about todays ration packs but they used to come with 9 sheets of single ply. You don't want to know how they were supposed to be used.
Off topic, Sime, but I notice that the vanity plate 303BRIT is available in Maine. I have to wait until next year before we get 7 character vanity plates in TX, but there's nowt to stop you grabbing it now.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Off topic, Sime, but I notice that the vanity plate 303BRIT is available in Maine. I have to wait until next year before we get 7 character vanity plates in TX, but there's nowt to stop you grabbing it now.
I thought about getting something that said Brit on it for my bike but I decided against it because I could forsee all of the Britney Spears question
Old Sep 5th 2010, 4:21 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Australia looked pretty good.

Which country's MRE would you pick? Britain's or a different one?
Dunno about the best but looking again at the Ukraine pack it looks like a case of scurvy waiting to happen - it looks like sailors' rations up until about 1760.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by sime303
I thought about getting something that said Brit on it for my bike but I decided against it because I could forsee all of the Britney Spears question
Fair point. The beauty of 303BRIT is that nobody would mention Ms. Spears for fear of getting slotted.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 4:23 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

How long is one of these packs supposed to last? One meal? One day? I ask because the Italian one includes three toothbrushes, which seems excessive for a single meal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.