Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

A taste of England in a box

A taste of England in a box

Old Sep 6th 2010, 4:05 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A taste of England in a box

but having eaten my brothers food I can assure you he is a great chef and even done state occasions on his 21st birthday he was made to work a double shift for a foreign political leader, he was cross,but it turned out to be a ruse and he worked 14 hrs for his own birthday party plus 2 hours in the cells, when he was "arrested" cos he had cannabis in his locker, which he said he kept saying they are OXO cubes, as when confronted with the evidence he sniffed them and indeed they where, it was part of the prank
Old Sep 6th 2010, 4:27 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by made of kent
my brother is a chef in the British Army and returned from Afghanistan a couple of weeks ago , as with his 3 tours of Iraq he was working for the Americans, he prefers the British pack, finds the American one too sweet and salty, he says the on base rations for the American are more largess than the British, but gets cross that they are Junk food, he is preparing, nuggets etc, he say he does that for the British troops but mainly he is cooking proper food , not just reheating crap.
My late cousin was a Royal Navy cook. He used to say much the same thing.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 4:35 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
My late cousin was a Royal Navy cook. He used to say much the same thing.
Nevertheless, I am glad I have the right and opportunity to eat myself unhealthily to death with no coercion or assistance
Old Sep 6th 2010, 9:09 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the US ones have a little heating element that lets you 'cook' some of the food. The candy is absolutely awful usually. The M&Ms were basically sealed in there when Clinton was President and are about as enjoyable as chewing on a rock.

Some of the candy in the MREs are surrounded by urban legends. For example the Charms candy are considered back luck (depending on the color) and often thrown out to avoid the 'curse' of the Charms.

http://afghanistansquid.blogspot.com...ndy-curse.html
http://www.iraqwararchive.org/data/m...rica/iol11.pdf
Old Sep 7th 2010, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry I've not read the whole thread but I have a friend who has been to Afgan a few times and he said that he is always swapping stuff with you US troops because they get better food....He said that a load of the UK lads got in trouble because the US lads wer walking round with UK army kit that they have been trading for food.