Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Taking your car back to the UK

Taking your car back to the UK

Old Jan 7th 2006, 11:31 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default Taking your car back to the UK

Hi everyone

does anyone know what the cost would be in shipping a car from Oz to UK would be?

thanks

Mel
Old Jan 8th 2006, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

Crispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking your car back to the UK

Originally Posted by mika24me
Hi everyone

does anyone know what the cost would be in shipping a car from Oz to UK would be?

thanks

Mel
I have a friend that wanted to import a Volkswagen Rallye to the USA from Germany. It is a rare car (5000 made, not that expensive -- about $6000 USA Dollars to buy), not avaiable in the States and the cost for him from Europe was about ~12 i don't know the exact number. Overall the process is full of headaches, alot of money, dealing with shady people, shit load of paperwork, enormas storage fees if the whole process isn't planned to down to the very last detail, the car could have to be completely modified to be used with certain countries emissions laws which can also cost thousands of dollars.
Unless you have serious cash, and are really into your car, i wouldn't try importing.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:06 am
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

Hi everyone

thanks

Mel
Why would you want to do that ? Just sell it and get another when you get back !
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garfielduk
Why would you want to do that ? Just sell it and get another when you get back !
because everyone who knows about cars here tells me new cars are a hell of a lot cheaper to buy in oz, and even if you add on the cost of shipping etc etc you still make a profit on your return
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:35 am
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chance to be
because everyone who knows about cars here tells me new cars are a hell of a lot cheaper to buy in oz, and even if you add on the cost of shipping etc etc you still make a profit on your return
Well I wouldn't take their word for it without doing a bit of research as there are now some good Car Supermarkets here if you want to buy new and get good discounts off list price. Have a go at www.motorpoint.co.uk
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:57 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

hi

I am looking into this option as our car is still fairly new (only one year old) and we would like to avoid taking a big hit of depreciation. It may be cheaper to ship it back than to lose loads of money selling it and have to buy another new one in Scotland.

Anyone who has done this or looked into this I would love to hear how you got one

Mel
Old Jan 8th 2006, 1:45 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Not exactlt relevant as I'm in the US, but I was thinking of taking my car back and now probably won't after looking into it.

My car is a 12-year-old truck that will run forever and isn't worth selling. It would cost about a thou to ship, and won't need major re-fits becasue it's more than 10 years old. I thoyght that for a thou it was worth not having a major outlay as soon a I got back.

Then I realized I could end up with a major headache if some unknown factor occurred (maybe it breaks down and I just can't get anyone to fix it, or it doesn't run as well in the horrible British winter weather, I don't know). Also, I can get a regular old car for 2k or 3k to tide me over until I can afford an upgrade.

FYI, there are some links to car-shipping information sites in the thread at the top of this forum (the Useful U.K. links thread)
Old Jan 9th 2006, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

I had a toyota landcruiser import from australia when we first returned to the UK. Bought it on a whim and with a little bullying from others who were in awe of the big truck. I did miss my USA truck, so went for it.

What a nightmare... Took ages to find someone that would actually insure it and it was huge on the small roads here.. Got rid of it after only a few months, took a loss on it.....

If your car is worth the hassle of import, insurance etc then go for it... Just make sure you can get the parts also....

Just so you know though... If you ever want to sell it.. people here do not go for import cars if they can get similar uk models for just a little more.

Hope that helps...
Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

mampq is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

thanks

Mel
We took our car back to the UK for exactly the same reasons as you.The resale value on a year old car is poor.
So Yes it doesn't cost that much about $3500. But beware you have to have an inspection done by a registered centre in the UK before you can register the car in the UK. Pre book this inspection because we didn't and unfortunately we couldn't get an inspection for over 12 weeks! We requested to be put on a list for a cancellation. We got a cancellation after 3 weeks waiting but the inspection centre was in Taunton and we were in Cambridge.
So pre book at a centre near you. Book before youu return to the UK. Also there are restrictions on resale for a year.
Hope this helps
Old Jan 9th 2006, 12:02 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mampq
We took our car back to the UK for exactly the same reasons as you.The resale value on a year old car is poor.
So Yes it doesn't cost that much about $3500. But beware you have to have an inspection done by a registered centre in the UK before you can register the car in the UK. Pre book this inspection because we didn't and unfortunately we couldn't get an inspection for over 12 weeks! We requested to be put on a list for a cancellation. We got a cancellation after 3 weeks waiting but the inspection centre was in Taunton and we were in Cambridge.
So pre book at a centre near you. Book before youu return to the UK. Also there are restrictions on resale for a year.
Hope this helps

That's a good point.... we're not taking a car back, but for those who are do you have a link to where they could make a booking? My husband wants to bring his motorbike back - do the same people do the registering?
Old Jan 9th 2006, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

mampq is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by banjo
That's a good point.... we're not taking a car back, but for those who are do you have a link to where they could make a booking? My husband wants to bring his motorbike back - do the same people do the registering?
No i don't have a link. Best to ask the shippers about inspection centres they should have a list.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Here are a few links on the importation of cars or bikes into the UK

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/exptimpt.htm

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...cst?n=6662&l=3

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/carlgvow...eststation.htm
Old Jan 13th 2006, 10:47 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vimto

Thanks Vimto.....Karma sent.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 11:21 am
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by banjo
Thanks Vimto.....Karma sent.

Just as a note to you and others it's not worth exporting a car back to the UK from outside of the EU unless you've owned it in your name for more than six months and can prove you've been a resident of that country for that time, ie Util bills in your name etc.

If you can't prove it then it will need an single vehicle esva test which will be circa £1600 (not to mention whatever customs decide to add on for vat and import duty) As they have to make sure the emissions, steering, sound levels and lots more conform to EU standards and if they do not then it will either have to be modified if possible or they will flatly refuse to pass it so you will never be able to register it within the EU.

If you can prove you've owned the vehicle for six months or more then it's just a basic SVA test or a basic ESVA test which can be £80-£180 depending on the age and which country it's coming from.

An SVA and Basic ESVA is just extended MOT's basicly, they check all the MOT bits and more for example is the rear fog light on the correct side, is the speedo in MPH are the headlights proper RHD versions.

It sounds complicated and really it is for someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

My advice is if you can tick all the following then book an SVA test straight away apon the car being cleared from customs at the port as it will be the cheapest route by far:

1> If you've owned it for six or more months (some cases it needs to be 12 i think)
2> If it's a RHD vehicle (IE the steering wheel is on the same side as the UK)
3> If the speedo is in MPH (both the speedo and odometer)
4> If the fuel filler neck is restricted to only unleaded (if it's an unleaded vehicle) - sounds stupid but cars from Japan have an unrestricted filler neck and you can put diesel nozzels in unleaded, this is an immediate fail for the SVA test. (you can buy adapters which plug in, very inexpensive)

Then just book it in for an SVA test.

If you've owned the vehicle for more than 6-12 months and it for whatever and it doesn't tick at least one of the above then it will need to be SVA prepared so you won't have to do the test twice or more times.

If your vehicle is coming into Southampton there is a brilliant SVA prep and testing centre right there in the docks, they will pick the vehicle up from the customs clearence, prep the vehicle for you put it thru a mock SVA/ESVA test and then SVA/ESVA it for you, so all you have to do is then go pick the car up and then registered it with the DVLA.

The company is :

SVA UK Limited
Unit 25, European Way
Eastern Docks
Southampton SO14 3XD

Phone: 023 80 335120
Fax: 023 80 635236
E-mail: [email protected]

www.svaukltd.co.uk

I would personaly call them from where you are now and have a chat with them and get a costing of how much they would charge you extra to prep the vehicle. So you can get a rough costing of it.

Another top bit of advice is it is worth paying extra for a container as apposed to driving the vehicle onto the boat as bits tend to go missing from the vehicle otherwise or it gets damaged, I've read that importers have turned up at the docks to discover their car no longer has an engine in it!!!

Last edited by zel; Jan 13th 2006 at 11:26 am.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 11:48 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

Originally Posted by zel
... I've read that importers have turned up at the docks to discover their car no longer has an engine in it!!!

what?! No engine. That's going a bit far....they can't exactly say that blew off in the wind.....

Thanks for all that info too. I'm feeling generous so I'd send you some karma as well. Just so I can't be accused of favouristism!