Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Taking TVs/Fridges etc back to UK

Taking TVs/Fridges etc back to UK

Old Nov 3rd 2008, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Taking TVs/Fridges etc back to UK

I have 2 plasmas..LG and Pioneer. I rang both companies and got told that the LG plasma will not work in UK as it has a built in tuner. Whereas the Pioneer doesn't have built-in tuner, so will work in UK with didgi box.

Old Nov 4th 2008, 12:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I have 2 plasmas..LG and Pioneer. I rang both companies and got told that the LG plasma will not work in UK as it has a built in tuner. Whereas the Pioneer doesn't have built-in tuner, so will work in UK with didgi box.

That doesn't make any sense.

Can't see any reason why they both wouldn't work from a digibox, the internal tuner has not impact on these, so unless your TV have no external connections (SCART etc) These must work.

In reality, a lot of tuners are now universal and able to swap frequency ranges. For the manufacturer, 1 common tuner for the world, makes a lot more sense than having a number of tuners. This might not apply in regard to USA sets which run a completely different system.

Probably worth having a look in your setup guide for your TV. On my Sony, you could choose the region / country, so if yours has the same option, this might be an indicator that it will be ok. Obviously no guarantees.

Not sure what the second hand value is on TV units, so checking this out, might give you an idea of whether its worth the risk.

Alternatively, I am sure there are some enthusiastic people in the Barbie who may be interested.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 12:22 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by ValeSpark
That doesn't make any sense.

Can't see any reason why they both wouldn't work from a digibox, the internal tuner has not impact on these, so unless your TV have no external connections (SCART etc) These must work.

In reality, a lot of tuners are now universal and able to swap frequency ranges. For the manufacturer, 1 common tuner for the world, makes a lot more sense than having a number of tuners. This might not apply in regard to USA sets which run a completely different system.

Probably worth having a look in your setup guide for your TV. On my Sony, you could choose the region / country, so if yours has the same option, this might be an indicator that it will be ok. Obviously no guarantees.

Not sure what the second hand value is on TV units, so checking this out, might give you an idea of whether its worth the risk.

Alternatively, I am sure there are some enthusiastic people in the Barbie who may be interested.

I would love to take both TV's back, but get conflicting infomation. If i sell the LG TV i wouldn't get much for it as you can get them dead cheap now. So may be worth taking a chance and taking it back.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 6:20 am
Account Closed

deborahjane is an unknown quantity at this point

We've already sold our chest freezer and will sell our fridge too at the last minute if possible. Things like that are so much cheaper in the UK to buy and we need the room in the container! Taking a tv back, nothing special will go in a kids room when we get back and buying a new tv too when back in the UK.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 8:57 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to take both TV's back, but get conflicting infomation. If i sell the LG TV i wouldn't get much for it as you can get them dead cheap now. So may be worth taking a chance and taking it back.
I have been told that all the older tellys will work, when they change over to digital......Providing you connect through a digi box ????
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sans
I have been told that all the older tellys will work, when they change over to digital......Providing you connect through a digi box ????
Older TV's??? well mine are 2 years old, so are they in that category?
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:19 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Older TV's??? well mine are 2 years old, so are they in that category?
Yes All the New TV's are HD ready and already have digital installed.....
But for people that still have older TV's they can buy the digi box, so they work OK on the change over to digital.....................
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:28 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Yes All the New TV's are HD ready and already have digital installed.....
But for people that still have older TV's they can buy the digi box, so they work OK on the change over to digital.....................
Hope this works http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/how_do_i_switche

You can buy digital boxes from Argos...
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:34 am
Account Closed

Hope this works http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/how_do_i_switche

You can buy digital boxes from Argos...
But my TV's here are HD....i can use normal terrestrial or use HD on both of them. So does that mean they won't work now in UK
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:43 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

But my TV's here are HD....i can use normal terrestrial or use HD on both of them. So does that mean they won't work now in UK
They should work, you just wont get all the extra programs. We bought a New TV when we came back HD ready and digital and we had to buy a digital ariel and have it installed on the roof.
You have to have them pointing a certain way which is different to normal telly. And you carn't apparently have them installed in your loft either.

I'm know expert on this, this is what we have been told since we have been back.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:45 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

They should work, you just wont get all the extra programs. We bought a New TV when we came back HD ready and digital and we had to buy a digital ariel and have it installed on the roof.
You have to have them pointing a certain way which is different to normal telly. And you carn't apparently have them installed in your loft either.

I'm know expert on this, this is what we have been told since we have been back.
If you have sky tv........i dont think you need a digibox or a new ariel because everything goes through your sky box.....
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:48 am
Account Closed

If you have sky tv........i dont think you need a digibox or a new ariel because everything goes through your sky box.....
Ok, thanks for the info
Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:23 am
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by islandergirl
I don't think I can be bothered taking mine, I don't have a particularly expensive or high tech setup and I am not good at figuring out how to make things work if some adjustment is required to get UK tv, I can feel a cold sweat starting at the mention of words like SCART socket.

Plus you are lucky if stuff lasts 3 years anyway, it usually dies once the guarantee runs out

I figure that I can't be without my stuff for 3 months whilst it is shipped so might as well just flog it for pennies here and get new stuff there, one less thing to worry about.
Regarding TV prices, my mum has just bought one from TJ Hughes, a 47 inch LCD Phillips for £799.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 11:57 pm
Account Closed

I went in to Harvey Normans yday to ask if my TVs would work in UK. They said both of them will work.
When i rang LG and Pioneer, LG told me it wouldn't work. I think we will take them both back anyway as i trust there will be a way to get them to work.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 10:36 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

I went in to Harvey Normans yday to ask if my TVs would work in UK. They said both of them will work.
When i rang LG and Pioneer, LG told me it wouldn't work. I think we will take them both back anyway as i trust there will be a way to get them to work.
UK TV works on PAL.........My TV is 240V / 50Hrtz

I have just checked a website and it says that Australian TV works on the pal system and on 240V / 50Hrtz.
So if i was you i would deff bring your TV's back if you want to

Having said that You will be without a TV here until yours arrive Unless you plan on buying a portable or something till yours turns up.