Taking Teenagers Back

Old Sep 15th 2007, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taking Teenagers Back

Hi to everyone, I just want to say what a life line this site is!!! We had decided after 10 weeks on holiday in England this year (march 07 May 07) that we really knew we wanted to return home, we (my better half) we have both known for quite a while that we would like to return home but after our second visit in 8 years (the first visit being after 6 years here) we just knew home (near Manchester) was the place for us. Our eldest son is in year 11 at the moment and our other son is year 9....we were going to leave early this year but due circumstances we just could not, we decided on our eldest finishing year 12...it does not make me feel any better though as I now worry "what if they don't want to go by then"? etc they would of gone like a shot at the beginning of this year.....it was not meant to be though.....any tips or help out there that will get us through this time.....I want to go right now.....my Dad back home keeps saying "always look on the bright side" but for the first time ever...."I cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel"
Old Sep 15th 2007, 4:07 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Taking Teenagers Back

What is it you don't like about Perth.
My kids are the same age as yours and we were debating whether to stay here or get them back into the UK education before it's too late.
Daughter has left school here to work full-time as she wasn't learning anything at school.
It is a difficult decision when it comes to teenagers. I don't know what to say to you for the best. Just hope you are happy with the choices you do make.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

We waited for our 17 year old to finish Year 12 and now she is staying on her own We cant force her to come back, she is set up with a place to stay and a car and wants her independence. I am very torn about this, but am proud in a way she is very stubborn (as they are) but is determined to give it a go.

I have had many turbulent times with her over the last few weeks, but she is determined to stay and go to Uni so, all we can do is help her as much as we can. Since we have said ok stay, she has become her old self again and allt he arguements have stopped (much to my relief).

Saying all that I am gonna worry myself silly about her and what shes up to when she goes out (wont be waking up at 2am to here her coming in) but gotta let her do it I suppose. Very hard decision, but you just have to see what happens, dont pull them out of school now he is so near to finishing it would be a shame, fingers crossed he still wants to come back. Mine also would have gone like a shot earlier this year, but she has changed her blimmin mind again!!!

Good luck, hard one this....

Kath
Old Sep 15th 2007, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Joe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
We waited for our 17 year old to finish Year 12 and now she is staying on her own We cant force her to come back, she is set up with a place to stay and a car and wants her independence. I am very torn about this, but am proud in a way she is very stubborn (as they are) but is determined to give it a go.

I have had many turbulent times with her over the last few weeks, but she is determined to stay and go to Uni so, all we can do is help her as much as we can. Since we have said ok stay, she has become her old self again and allt he arguements have stopped (much to my relief).

Saying all that I am gonna worry myself silly about her and what shes up to when she goes out (wont be waking up at 2am to here her coming in) but gotta let her do it I suppose. Very hard decision, but you just have to see what happens, dont pull them out of school now he is so near to finishing it would be a shame, fingers crossed he still wants to come back. Mine also would have gone like a shot earlier this year, but she has changed her blimmin mind again!!!

Good luck, hard one this....

Kath
Where does a 17 year old go (legally) until 2am???

I also know that feeling about kids changing their mind! It can be hard enough getting them to go anywhere in the first place. Then they hate it there. Then when you want to come back, they've found a life and love it!
Old Sep 15th 2007, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
What is it you don't like about Perth.
My kids are the same age as yours and we were debating whether to stay here or get them back into the UK education before it's too late.
Daughter has left school here to work full-time as she wasn't learning anything at school.
It is a difficult decision when it comes to teenagers. I don't know what to say to you for the best. Just hope you are happy with the choices you do make.
Hi thanks for the reply, it's not that I do not like Perth, it is just not for us. I miss to many things to start with but one is our families and two is being nearer to places we love ie....Historic Homes, Castles....countryside.....going to family "do's the list is endless....and over the years it just has not changed, in fact I miss it more now than I did when we first got here....I go to all the different shopping centres all over the metro area and I kind of make it like I am going to different towns (how sad is that!!) but I cannot visit places like Stockport, Chester, Liverpool, York, Bury, Bolton etc....and we did this often....even Wigan !! ha ha I feel really bad now though I have read some of the replies as so far it does not look good but we have just decided that if our son in Yr 11 wants to stay after Yr12 then so be it.....we cannot make him go if he wants to stay and believe me no one is more shocked than I that we would even consider letting him stay for a holiday!!!! he is our baby but what would happen if he would leave us in the U.K for a life abroad? my husband and I are at a stage in life where we now have to start thinking of our life together after our children have left (gulp) I wish now that I had never heard about Aus...but that's life.....nothing against the Country but not for us anymore (if ever it was) Anyway got to go fr now getting ready to watch the Premier matches (yes I am a big Man City fan and love football....oh just to have a meat pie at half time like we all use to....life was so simple then!!) ps good luck on your move ....that was really salt in the wound!! I am sure your daughter will be fine...it's only a flight away...and she sounds very sensible!!!!
Old Sep 16th 2007, 2:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh, hard one! Your kids will be starting to make those decisions about leaving home and doing what they want to do anyway! Your kids at least have two good choices they can make.

I have two sons, both took themselves off to UK at some stage - one during Uni but he came back, finished Uni and is now self sufficient in the bush and never going anywhere ever again. The other one went on a gap year to UK after Uni - 5 years ago and has only been back for the occasional holiday ever since. Interesting that the one that went with a one way ticket came back in 7 months and the one with a return ticket didnt come back at all!

As long as your kids have a support network which you are comfortable with, then you really have to let them get on with it even though they are so young. If it all goes pear shaped (and they may miss you ... or not) it only takes a day to get here - or for them to get to you. Seems like our young folk have the best of both worlds really!
Old Sep 16th 2007, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Gosh, hard one! Your kids will be starting to make those decisions about leaving home and doing what they want to do anyway! Your kids at least have two good choices they can make.

I have two sons, both took themselves off to UK at some stage - one during Uni but he came back, finished Uni and is now self sufficient in the bush and never going anywhere ever again. The other one went on a gap year to UK after Uni - 5 years ago and has only been back for the occasional holiday ever since. Interesting that the one that went with a one way ticket came back in 7 months and the one with a return ticket didnt come back at all!

As long as your kids have a support network which you are comfortable with, then you really have to let them get on with it even though they are so young. If it all goes pear shaped (and they may miss you ... or not) it only takes a day to get here - or for them to get to you. Seems like our young folk have the best of both worlds really!
Yes I think your right they have too much of a choice!!!

But kids nowadays grow up in some ways a lot quicker and the world is as you say an easier place to get around!!!

Kath