Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Taking Pet Ashes back to the UK

Taking Pet Ashes back to the UK

Old Mar 5th 2010, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

CityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really nice
Question Taking Pet Ashes back to the UK

Hi,

I have done a search on this topic, but could not find any answers. Has anybody done this or knows if there is any problem regarding them being in container/luggage/hand luggage. I dont mind which way they go.

I know some people will say move on, or scatter her ashes here before I leave but I have decided to take her ashes with me and now need to know the best way to do it.

Many thanks for any help you can give.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice
Default Re: Taking Pet Ashes back to the UK

I'm going to be doing this too!

HMRC say that all animal products have to be declared, but I am choosing to classify this particular item as something other than that
Old Mar 6th 2010, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Are you shipping other contents anyway? I would think they could be put in a pot in amongst other items and never be mentioned.

I can't think of any reason why they would be an issue.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 1:07 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Put them in a little velvet bag and sew them inside a teddy bear

You can still declare them, but at least it's a nice way to get the pet back to the UK.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CityGal
Hi,

I have done a search on this topic, but could not find any answers. Has anybody done this or knows if there is any problem regarding them being in container/luggage/hand luggage. I dont mind which way they go.

I know some people will say move on, or scatter her ashes here before I leave but I have decided to take her ashes with me and now need to know the best way to do it.

Here is a funeral directors for pets in the UK. Maybe you can email them and ask them, they would know. Otherwise, I doubt anyone would do a search of your personal effects when shipping them to the UK unless they had good reason:

http://www.urns-online.co.uk/
Old Mar 6th 2010, 3:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Alternatively, can you bring them in your hand luggage and if anyone asks, it's your mother-in-law
Old Mar 6th 2010, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

CityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really niceCityGal is just really nice

Thankyou for all your answers. Her ashes (in a plastic bag) are in a little wooden box with her name on. I am happy to declare it as I dont think the ashes can be classed as animal product as such, or processed at least!

But I get the impression that if I put it in the container the company may need to flag it, in which case customs may need to open the container and it will cost etc etc. However I am worried about putting them in hand luggage and having them refused and losing them. Maybe in locked luggage and declare at customs on entry? On searches I have done it seems Australian customs dont mind them being brought in, so I dont see why British customs would be any different. I cant say she is Granny (she was too nice to be MIL ) cos dates on the box show she was only 5 I could say she was my little girl, which is true too However at the time she was sick all I could think about is how could anybody go through this with a child

I was hoping to find someone who had done it, otherwise I guess I will have to start contacting people. Shippers come in 2 weeks, but they are unsure and say it may mean the container is opened. I have only just thought of this, but am not going to leave her behind, she was not an only dog, and died young and very sadly of cancer, so I wanted to eventually put them back together. Soppy I know, but I cant help it.

Anyone got any more suggestions of who I should contact to find out exactly what I do.

Many thanks again for help and suggestions. I will try the funeral directors suggested.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by john5655
I'm going to be doing this too!

HMRC say that all animal products have to be declared, but I am choosing to classify this particular item as something other than that
Problem is the shippers are packing for me, so I can't really do this
Old Mar 6th 2010, 12:18 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CityGal
Hi,

I'm not sure which country you are going to but surely there will be a webpage for Customs? They will be sure to know as they are the border control.

I worked in airfreight before returning to England and we used to export human remains ashes by cargo. I never did an export for the ashes of a pet.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe post them?
Old Mar 6th 2010, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

[QUOTE=CityGal;8398582]Thankyou for all your answers. Her ashes (in a plastic bag) are in a little wooden box with her name on. I am happy to declare it as I dont think the ashes can be classed as animal product as such, or processed at least!

But I get the impression that if I put it in the container the company may need to flag it, in which case customs may need to open the container and it will cost etc etc. However I am worried about putting them in hand luggage and having them refused and losing them. Maybe in locked luggage and declare at customs on entry? On searches I have done it seems Australian customs dont mind them being brought in, so I dont see why British customs would be any different. I cant say she is Granny (she was too nice to be MIL ) cos dates on the box show she was only 5 I could say she was my little girl, which is true too However at the time she was sick all I could think about is how could anybody go through this with a child

hi,we took our dogs {2 boxes}ashes to australia in 2006,as the ashes are not classed as animal products there is no problem,we packed them with toy boxes and there wasn't a problem.
we returned to the uk a few years later and packed them with toys again.
we did'nt feel the need to mention that there was dogs ashes in container,again there was no problem.
if you mention it they may make a fuss,unduly,in my opinion.

good luck.....
Old Mar 7th 2010, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

sorry, I wasn't seriously suggesting the ashes are an animal product

like the other posters, I don't see any issue here, the pot containing our beloved dog's ashes is going to be just another item in our 40' container, but probably the most well packed and protected item in it

I suggest you do not mention the details to your removal company, it is just another item of 'memorabilia' just like that urn you brought back from Greece?
Old Mar 7th 2010, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Put them in a little velvet bag and sew them inside a teddy bear

You can still declare them, but at least it's a nice way to get the pet back to the UK.
I am shipping some ashes back and have often been concerned, if caught, that they may be mistaken for being a narcotic. Sewing them into a teddy bear may even attract more attention, especially for a man (real men don't own teddy bears, not openly that is).
Old Mar 7th 2010, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am not sure what to do now. I would rather leave them here than end up with them being taken off me and dumped. That was why I cremated her remains in the first place. I already mentioned it to the shippers and as they are packing it makes it a bit harder. That is why I thought I would take them with me on plane. But now dont know if that is a problem. I honestly cant see the ashes being a problem, it is more that I didnt want the added expense of the container being opened to check them or finding out they cant go on plane for some reason.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

[hi,we took our dogs {2 boxes}ashes to australia in 2006,as the ashes are not classed as animal products there is no problem,we packed them with toy boxes and there wasn't a problem.
we returned to the uk a few years later and packed them with toys again.
we did'nt feel the need to mention that there was dogs ashes in container,again there was no problem.
if you mention it they may make a fuss,unduly,in my opinion.

good luck.....[/QUOTE]

I have just reread your answer and made sense of what you are saying Of course if they are not classed as animal product it is merely and ornamental box and packed like my other ornaments. Therefore as there will not be anything to be declared, nothing is flagged so they wont need to open the container to check what is flagged! Thankyou, all sorted then

I did look at the web site entry into UK and what you can and cant take and they certainly cant be classified under what you cant take. So all good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.