Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Taking my US job with me - Tax Question

Taking my US job with me - Tax Question

Old May 25th 2022, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

AlyWhitaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Taking my US job with me - Tax Question

I work remote, and was wondering if anyone else has kept their US job after moving to the UK?
I'm not sure how the taxes would work, and then if my company approved my move, what would be the best way to get paid? I'm assuming I would have to have it put into something like Wise and then have them convert it.

Just not sure if it would be better to secure new job before I move or keep my current one, and then look for new job once I get to UK.

What has been your experience with all this?
Old May 25th 2022, 8:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking my US job with me - Tax Question

This question has been asked before, but mostly about retaining a job in the UK and moving to the US. The answer is pretty much the same either way - you can't stay on the payroll as you are required to pay tax and NI/SS where you live and work, not where your employer is located. So, unless your employer has a subsidiary that can put you on their payroll, you will need to work as a contractor, and be paid gross, then pay your own income tax and NI. ... And your pay should be grossed up to reflect the social security that your employer was paying when you were on the US payroll, as there is a similar employer's/ self employed NI contribution you will have to pay in the UK.

How and where you are paid is a whole other matter, which has no bearing on tax and NI. You could be paid into an account in the US, or have your employer wire the money to your account in the UK, ... or negotiate and agree whatever works for you and your employer.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 25th 2022 at 8:08 pm.
Old May 26th 2022, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

As to the question of how to be paid. As you suggest, a Wise borderless account will work. I have a Wise borderless account with appropriate US bank routing and account number, and currently have it linked to my US Vanguard account and transfer money to and from that with no issues. I set this up as a back up in case I needed to switch banks with my current US pension provider.
Old Jun 4th 2022, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlyWhitaker
I work remote, and was wondering if anyone else has kept their US job after moving to the UK?
I'm not sure how the taxes would work, and then if my company approved my move, what would be the best way to get paid? I'm assuming I would have to have it put into something like Wise and then have them convert it.

Just not sure if it would be better to secure new job before I move or keep my current one, and then look for new job once I get to UK.

What has been your experience with all this?
Hi Aly,

I've met a few remote workers on my travels who are working their remote jobs in the US whilst living in other countries. They do so without telling their employer and just hope they don't get caught by using a VPN. This strategy, of course, is not really recommended due to several risks to the self (getting fired/reprimanded) and the company (facing legal and tax issues when found out to have workers in other countries). As such, you may want to see if your company has an office in the UK and try to transfer - if not, potentially take a few short trips to the UK to interview with employers while working your US remote job. The good news is that the job market continues to be robust in many fields. Good luck to you.
Old Jun 19th 2022, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

ArizonaTrail is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing to keep in mind is that UK income tax is much higher than in the US, with fewer credits and deductions. If you spend more than 183 days in the UK in a calendar year, you will likely have to pay UK taxes on your worldwide income.