Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Taking a leap! Moving to UK with kids and bare savings

Taking a leap! Moving to UK with kids and bare savings

Old Jun 10th 2018, 10:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat056 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taking a leap! Moving to UK with kids and bare savings

Hi, I try not to offer negative advice wherever possible since many people have enough on their plates with planning their lives as it is. I would just say that I tried commuting from Whitstable to London and gave up after a month. Admittedly I was using my car to get to the East side of London, but it was nightmare. Then from Folkestone I would still go to London occasionally with my work and it was worse if anything. My wife often took the train to London and even leaving after 9:30, if she didn't book well in advance, it was pricey. However you choose to commute from Ramsgate you will spend many hours each way travelling, which could mean childcare eating into your income along with expensive and inefficient trains. If you are planning to go to Ramsgate I would start job hunting now around Kent.
Good luck with it all.
Old Jun 11th 2018, 4:51 am
Just Joined

TinaU is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alianco
Hi, I try not to offer negative advice wherever possible since many people have enough on their plates with planning their lives as it is.If you are planning to go to Ramsgate I would start job hunting now around Kent.
Good luck with it all.
Thanks for the advice. I will look into finding work in Kent. Commuting long distances won't be possible as my children are young (10 and 5)
Old Jun 11th 2018, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sayang
Ramsgate to London is on the edge of possible - I would guess 120-150 minutes 'door to door' trip, and the train won't be cheap
Ramsgate - London can be as short as 1 hr 20 minutes thanks to the new HS train, but it can be longer (2 hours to Victoria) by the old commuter routes. What you may not realise if you haven't worked in London before, is where you live and the route of the trains from your local station can really impact what jobs you take in London. For example, a 1h15m journey into St P sounds great, but if your job is in South London, you will have another hour on top of that to get across London at rush hour. So a slower train coming into Victoria actually may be the better train to take as you could walk or take the bus from there.

I used to live on Planet Thanet (Margate-Broadstairs-Ramsgate), and it has some of the most affordable housing in Kent, but local job opportunities are not great compared to the rest of the South East. York is expensive for Yorkshire, but still cheap compared to equivalent areas in the South East. Schools are good, and if you pick the right bit of York then you are in commuting distance of other towns & cities such as Leeds, Bradford, Harrogate. There are jobs up in Yorkshire!
Old Jun 11th 2018, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TinaU
Hi Holly! Have you been to East Pakistan? That's interesting! Another quick question. If I stay in Ramsgate for 2-3 months and then shift to York, won't I have to change schools again too? How difficult will that be? My uncle in York lives in a tiny house and his wife is ill, so can't live with him. But he can help me to rent a place on a modest budget I hope. My kids will need to adapt to a new country and culture as it is. Don't want to move them from school to school too much.
Thanks so much for your time!!
No never been there, when I lived in Kuwait I used to have friends who travelled to Dacca (by then Bangladesh) frequently so heard all the stories about the hazards of motor-rickshaw travel :-) British Airways did flights Kuwait-Dacca on VC-10 back in the early 1970s.

It's no great disruption for kids to leave a school if they have only been there a short time. Kids are more resilient than we give them credit for. In fact, a new start when they have some experience and know what to expect might be helpful.
Maybe you could do three months in Ramsgate to meet the "habitual residence" test. Then move in with relatives in York and immediately apply to the local council for priority housing due to overcrowding.
Old Jun 11th 2018, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
Ramsgate - London can be as short as 1 hr 20 minutes thanks to the new HS train, but it can be longer (2 hours to Victoria) by the old commuter routes. What you may not realise if you haven't worked in London before, is where you live and the route of the trains from your local station can really impact what jobs you take in London. For example, a 1h15m journey into St P sounds great, but if your job is in South London, you will have another hour on top of that to get across London at rush hour. So a slower train coming into Victoria actually may be the better train to take as you could walk or take the bus from there.

I used to live on Planet Thanet (Margate-Broadstairs-Ramsgate), and it has some of the most affordable housing in Kent, but local job opportunities are not great compared to the rest of the South East. York is expensive for Yorkshire, but still cheap compared to equivalent areas in the South East. Schools are good, and if you pick the right bit of York then you are in commuting distance of other towns & cities such as Leeds, Bradford, Harrogate. There are jobs up in Yorkshire!
Bradford has a big Bangladeshi community, as far as I know. That might make the transition easier for the kids.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe those in Bradford will be able to assist with the benefits question as well.
Old Jul 25th 2018, 6:38 am
Just Joined

Commuting to and from work won't be practical if I have to do school runs when my husband isn't with us. I think I'll have to look at part-time work. Worst-case scenario: If I can get council housing, and if I get the lowest paid jobs, will that cover food and clothes? Does council housing mean anywhere in UK or anywhere in a specific city?
Old Jul 25th 2018, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Worst-case scenario: If I can get council housing, and if I get the lowest paid jobs, will that cover food and clothes? Does council housing mean anywhere in UK or anywhere in a specific city?
council housing is dependent on the area you live in, and there are waiting lists that prioritise the people that need it most. It is not free, you still have to pay rent.
Old Jul 25th 2018, 12:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Commuting to and from work won't be practical if I have to do school runs when my husband isn't with us.
Maybe I'm missing something but why can't you use a childminder or similar? Plenty of mums work full-time and manage with the help of a childminder or before/after school clubs. I really wouldn't be thinking about relying on benefits, that's not going to be an easy life for any of you (not least because if you're an educated person used to working, it would be a huge lifestyle change).
Old Jul 25th 2018, 12:42 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Its always worrying (and sad) when people are moving to the UK and their first thought is benefits/council housing.

It should be a last resort to be used in an emergency, not a first plan.
Old Jul 25th 2018, 8:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by az2014
Its always worrying (and sad) when people are moving to the UK and their first thought is benefits/council housing.
The OP's very first post mentioned bringing savings to cover her while she tried to get a job. Also mentioned privately renting too.
I'm worried if I don't get a job by the time my savings run out
How do you get benefits and council housing as a first resort from that?
Old Jul 26th 2018, 4:04 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have this process back to front. Your first priority should be to secure employment in the UK. You can then move back by yourself, complete six months of work and be able to sponsor your husband to join you in the UK bringing the children with him.
Old Jul 29th 2018, 2:48 am
Just Joined

Getting a job first seems the right way to go about it.

Found these employment websites on the 'Useful Links' sticky post. Will research them right away. Suggestions to other good job sites will be appreciated. Thanks!
http://www.seek.co.uk
http://www.hays.co.uk
http://www.monster.co.uk
Old Jul 29th 2018, 7:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Getting a job first seems the right way to go about it.

Found these employment websites on the 'Useful Links' sticky post. Will research them right away. Suggestions to other good job sites will be appreciated. Thanks!
http://www.seek.co.uk
http://www.hays.co.uk
http://www.monster.co.uk
Try Indeed, and do set yourself up a profile on Linked In if you haven't already, and start networking.

Good luck.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Try Indeed, and do set yourself up a profile on Linked In if you haven't already, and start networking.

Good luck.
Our son used Indeed (among others) last year when he got back end of September and found a job through them within 6 weeks.

https://www.indeed.co.uk/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.