Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Taking a leap! Moving to UK with kids and bare savings

Taking a leap! Moving to UK with kids and bare savings

Old Jun 4th 2018, 6:55 am
Just Joined

TinaU is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking a leap! Moving to UK with kids and bare savings

Hello everybody! I am new to this forum and have been going through many threads and posts. Such wonderful people and useful information! So a bit about me. I am a British citizen living in Bangladesh for over 30 years. I am planning to move to the UK with my two young daughters next year for their education and better quality of life. Problem is, I don't have much savings and it will take me time to get a job as I don't have a UK education. I will take with me about 4000 pounds to get us by for a few months. I will stay with a relative for a month while finding a small place to rent. I will also apply for child benefit and housing benefit. My priority is to live in an area with good schools and decent neighbourhood, but it can't be too expensive of course. And over time, I will look at work options ( I hold an MBA degree). I'm worried if I don't get a job by the time my savings run out. What will happen then?
Old Jun 4th 2018, 11:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking a leap! Moving to UK with kids and bare savings

Hi, and welcome to BE.

I personally don't think £4k is anywhere near enough for 3 people for 'a few months'. Could you extend your stay with your relative until you get work maybe, so that you don't have to pay things like a rental deposit etc until you've got some income?

You've not said, but I assume you have the father's/mother's permission to remove the kids from Bangladesh? Just checking! And are your children UK citizens too or do they need visas?
Old Jun 4th 2018, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't get a job by the time your savings run out, you had better have friends or relatives who can 'put you up'.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TinaU
Hello everybody! I am new to this forum and have been going through many threads and posts. Such wonderful people and useful information! So a bit about me. I am a British citizen living in Bangladesh for over 30 years. I am planning to move to the UK with my two young daughters next year for their education and better quality of life. Problem is, I don't have much savings and it will take me time to get a job as I don't have a UK education. I will take with me about 4000 pounds to get us by for a few months. I will stay with a relative for a month while finding a small place to rent. I will also apply for child benefit and housing benefit. My priority is to live in an area with good schools and decent neighbourhood, but it can't be too expensive of course. And over time, I will look at work options ( I hold an MBA degree). I'm worried if I don't get a job by the time my savings run out. What will happen then?
The most important question is whether your young daughters are entitle to British Citizenship. If they are, you will need to get their British passports ready before the move. However, if they are not entitled to British Citizenship, you will need to look into their visa options.

With regards to UK benefits, you and your daughters will need to meet the habitual residence test. Please have a look at the link below -

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...ming-benefits/
Old Jun 4th 2018, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

4k is a no no for 3 months.....probably need more than that to rent a place.
As for a job if you have skills and experience go to a large city where there are jobs, can't you do a lower level job while looking? Plenty of those around.
As for benefits......hardly.
Old Jun 5th 2018, 4:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

I personally don't think £4k is anywhere near enough for 3 people for 'a few months'. Could you extend your stay with your relative until you get work maybe, so that you don't have to pay things like a rental deposit etc until you've got some income?

You've not said, but I assume you have the father's/mother's permission to remove the kids from Bangladesh? Just checking! And are your children UK citizens too or do they need visas?
Hmm thanks. Will think on this further then. Yes, my husband is okay with our move. My kids have British citizenship through me. My husband may accompany us if he gets tourist visa.
Old Jun 5th 2018, 4:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HKG3
The most important question is whether your young daughters are entitle to British Citizenship. If they are, you will need to get their British passports ready before the move. However, if they are not entitled to British Citizenship, you will need to look into their visa options.
Thanks will do. Yes, my daughters are UK citizens through me. They have their passports.
Old Jun 5th 2018, 5:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Benson55
4k is a no no for 3 months.....probably need more than that to rent a place.
As for a job if you have skills and experience go to a large city where there are jobs, can't you do a lower level job while looking? Plenty of those around.
As for benefits......hardly.
I am willing to do lower level jobs until something better comes up. I don't need any luxuries. Just a roof over my head, clothes and food.
Old Jun 5th 2018, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TinaU
Hmm thanks. Will think on this further then. Yes, my husband is okay with our move. My kids have British citizenship through me. My husband may accompany us if he gets tourist visa.
If your whole family is moving to the UK, it is not very likely that your husband will be able to get an UK tourist visa as the risk of him overstaying in the UK is greater than usual.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

A awful lot depends on which part of the country your relative with whom you are staying initially lives.
If it is London or the SouthEast then it is relatively easy to get paid employment but living expenses (mostly rent) are very high.
On the other hand, if it is far away from London then it should not be too difficult to find affordable accommodation, but paid work is more scarce. Overall, on balance, that is probably easier.
As others have indicated, you have to survive for three months before you become entitled to most benefits. Some benefits (not most) kick in right away so it would be important to apply ASAP on those. In that position I would hope that I could persuade my relative to let me stay three months on a basis of a firm promise not to stay longer than that.
Getting the children placed in school, registering as a voter, registering yourself and the children with a local doctor and opening a bank account are all high priority after arriving.
If you can get settled in an even half way decent job you will be able to bring your husband over later. Hopefully he can support himself without you and the kids in Pakistan until then.
If you can't find paid work immediately then offer to do volunteer (unpaid, charity) work during that initial three months. That way you get to meet lots of people and might just stumble into a job opportunity.
Good luck! You sound like a capable and practical person, so don't let others tell you it can't be done but do play by the rules, don't cheat.

Last edited by holly_1948; Jun 6th 2018 at 9:59 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 7:32 am
Just Joined

Hi Holly!

Thanks for your great advice. The relative I can stay with initially lives in Ramsgate, East Kent. I think I can persuade them to let me stay for 3 months. So, while I'm with them I'll register for NHS, get a bank account and see about schools. How difficult will it be to commute to London, if I look for work there? I am up for any lower level job to keep me going till I can find something better. I will look for a one-bedroom flat to keep the rent expenses down. Then after 3 months I will apply for child benefit and housing benefit. Will see how that goes. Problem is, my youngest daughter will be 6 years old, so I'll need to work according to her schedule. As for my husband, he will go if he gets tourist visa to help take care of kids while I attend to the formalities. But I'm not depending on him for anything. In fact, he will have to stay here in Bangladesh till I can work out a spouse visa, but that's not my priority. I'd rather he work here and send us money as support.
Another relative lives in York. But I think getting into a good school will be difficult as it's a small town, and work opportunities will be very limited also.
Another friend suggested I could teach in colleges as I have teaching experience here in universities. I am determined to make it work, for the future of my children. Hard work doesn't faze me.

Really appreciated your reply Holly! Thanks
Old Jun 9th 2018, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry I wrote Pakistan when it should have been Bangladesh. Of course back when I started working it was East Pakistan!

Yes, you can make it work. Sounds to me like you can do a couple of months in Ramsgate and if you haven't landed a worthwhile job by then perhaps a further two months in York by which time you can go on public assistance of various forms if you are still in financial problems and not be a burden on relatives. I expect the Yorkies will be happy with being a "Plan B", Yorkshire folk tend to be decent people. Not having your husband with you makes it easier for them.
Please read the FAQ for the forum, but in a nutshell you will need to hold down a legitimate job that pays about £19kpa or more for six months to qualify for a spouse visa.
The school year starts early September as I'm sure you know, so factor that into your plans. I suspect state schools in both Ramsgate and York are fine. If your husband has money and really doesn't want to be without seeing you all for perhaps 9 months then consider possibly meeting up on a cheap package holiday in the Mediterranean (or perhaps on the Continent just across the English Channel). He would probably be able to get a Schengen tourist visa more easily than a UK one. And visiting a Schengen country would not complicate the spouse visa application.
Old Jun 9th 2018, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Edit - add link to FAQ
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spouse_Immigration-UK
Old Jun 10th 2018, 4:12 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Taking a leap! Moving to UK with kids and bare savings

Originally Posted by holly_1948
I'm sorry I wrote Pakistan when it should have been Bangladesh. Of course back when I started working it was East Pakistan!

Yes, you can make it work. Sounds to me like you can do a couple of months in Ramsgate and if you haven't landed a worthwhile job by then perhaps a further two months in York by which time you can go on public assistance of various forms if you are still in financial problems and not be a burden on relatives. I expect the Yorkies will be happy with being a "Plan B", Yorkshire folk tend to be decent people.
Please read the FAQ for the forum, but in a nutshell you will need to hold down a legitimate job that pays about £19kpa or more for six months to qualify for a spouse visa.
Hi Holly! Have you been to East Pakistan? That's interesting! Another quick question. If I stay in Ramsgate for 2-3 months and then shift to York, won't I have to change schools again too? How difficult will that be? My uncle in York lives in a tiny house and his wife is ill, so can't live with him. But he can help me to rent a place on a modest budget I hope. My kids will need to adapt to a new country and culture as it is. Don't want to move them from school to school too much.
Thanks so much for your time!!
Old Jun 10th 2018, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

sayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond repute

Ramsgate to London is on the edge of possible - I would guess 120-150 minutes 'door to door' trip, and the train won't be cheap. Note that York is a richer city than Ramsgate, with probably a better job market

Changing schools isn't difficult. People move all the time. Of course, means you are unlikely to get a choice as it will depend on what school in the area has places.

Wouldn't it be less stressful to come by yourself first, then bring the children over when you know where you will be living and working?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.