Taking dog back to Uk from NZ

Taking dog back to Uk from NZ

Old Sep 25th 2004, 11:11 pm
Looking for a chin-wag

Location: New Zealand, heading home to Norfolk, UK in Dec 2004
Jim the Chin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taking dog back to Uk from NZ

Originally Posted by scottish

Melannee is due back any day now as it Pants dog so hopefully we can get some positive feedback from them.

What part of NZ are you in and can I ask how long you have been here and why you are going home?

Scottish

ps btw I got a good price for taking dog back. About $1k cheaper than the others and the guy is very professional and can give us loads of references. If you need info just ask. He also said that all they need is 5 working days notice, dont know if Christmas will be busier though. Good luck
Hi scottish, thanks for your reply
Yes, i'll be very interested to hear about melanie and pants dogs - and your new shipper.

We'd got the 5k quote, with 10 days notice, leaving the dog in a 'pet hotel' in akl. I get stuck in a whirlpool of 'what if's' about this and finding it hard to make a definite plan. What i'd really like to do is sail home on a container ship or something ... Crazy? The shipping companies seem to think so, as i get a great big no from all i've asked there.

Came here 4 yrs ago with family (me, mrs jim, 2 sprogs - 16yo + 10yo). We'd cooked up the 'adventure' over the kitchen table in Norfolk for years; looking for something different, i guess.
Spent 2 yrs doing up the new home (beachfront, 10k n of wanganui), then started the realisation that NZ is just not right for us. Spent last 2 years hanging on, trying to make it work.
Have to wait til Dec when daughter finishes uni, get $$'s from house sale and dog's 6 months is up til we can go.

Main reasons for going home: Fear; if we don't go now, we might get stuck here (erk). Lack of resonance (i mean who cares? what really matters? - i found the phoneyness quite amusing at first but now it irritates me). Culture; without being critical of kiwis (i could ...), there's too much missing.

About the dog - have you got a firm idea of the carrier/crate thing? Our dog's never been anywhere near one and i'd like to get it to get her used to it. The pet shippers we've been talking to say they make them (wood) and i can have it nearer the time. Hmmm .. sounds like a 'she'll be right' ?

So where are you then, scottish? and your story?
Old Sep 26th 2004, 1:26 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jim

Dont worry about the crate thing. We brought our dog out from Uk in it and he was totally fine. His crate is lying in the porch as we speak. The crate comes with a water bowl and is wooden with airholes at the side and mesh at the front and back. You are allowed to put in it the dogs blanket and something that smells familier.

The company recommended to us was callled Kritta Krates based out of Auckland. The contact there is a guy called Terry and tele number is 0800 422437. Their website I think is www.krittakrates.co.nz. The priced our dog roughly the size of a collie/retriever - retriever length and collie height for about $3500 with our crate and $3900 without. The process involved is you drop the dog off to them by 2pm on the day of the flight (flight leaves at 6pm) and thats it. No kennels prior etc. He was really good talked me through the whole process, very friendly. Ask for his website If I have gave you wrong address. Loads of good stuff on it.

As for NZ came out 9 months ago and dog gets his Pet Passport in Jan (23rd to be exact LOl), then we see out the summer and head.

NZ has its pluses but we find it to expensive and basically agree with all that you wrote about it. We are renting in the BOP and cant afford to buy anywhere in NZ. Hubbys job is good but I have only managed to find part time work and the pay is awful. Its funny, not ha ha funny LOL, but we have met loads of uk peeps who feel the same as us and basically the are heading home in a few years time and not one of them can see themselves growing old here. It all an experience.!!!

Basically NZ has been a let down and financially has cripped us. So we came out with not alot and will go back with less. We will sell what we have to pay for dogs flight home. Family have offered to help but we will try and go it alone.

Good luck and pls let me know how you get on with the dog.

Cheers
Old Sep 26th 2004, 2:06 am
Looking for a chin-wag

Originally Posted by scottish
Hi Jim

Dont worry about the crate thing. We brought our dog out from Uk in it and he was totally fine. His crate is lying in the porch as we speak. The crate comes with a water bowl and is wooden with airholes at the side and mesh at the front and back. You are allowed to put in it the dogs blanket and something that smells familier.

The company recommended to us was callled Kritta Krates based out of Auckland. The contact there is a guy called Terry and tele number is 0800 422437. Their website I think is www.krittakrates.co.nz. The priced our dog roughly the size of a collie/retriever - retriever length and collie height for about $3500 with our crate and $3900 without. The process involved is you drop the dog off to them by 2pm on the day of the flight (flight leaves at 6pm) and thats it. No kennels prior etc. He was really good talked me through the whole process, very friendly. Ask for his website If I have gave you wrong address. Loads of good stuff on it.

As for NZ came out 9 months ago and dog gets his Pet Passport in Jan (23rd to be exact LOl), then we see out the summer and head.

NZ has its pluses but we find it to expensive and basically agree with all that you wrote about it. We are renting in the BOP and cant afford to buy anywhere in NZ. Hubbys job is good but I have only managed to find part time work and the pay is awful. Its funny, not ha ha funny LOL, but we have met loads of uk peeps who feel the same as us and basically the are heading home in a few years time and not one of them can see themselves growing old here. It all an experience.!!!

Basically NZ has been a let down and financially has cripped us. So we came out with not alot and will go back with less. We will sell what we have to pay for dogs flight home. Family have offered to help but we will try and go it alone.

Good luck and pls let me know how you get on with the dog.

Cheers
Thanks again, scottish
It's quite sad but somehow relieving to hear what you and others are saying here ... we've really been through it over the past 18 months wondering what to do - and just knew there must be others but where were they? Wish i'd found this forum then. Just to share it without being a whinging pom is great.

Will check out kritterkrates tomorrow. Thanks

Ditto with the financial disaster. We've been fleeced since we landed.

So maybe we're the lucky ones, eh? who've had the good fortune to wake up before it's too late. I look forward to that time when i can see the benefits of the experience - that and not getting bitter about it.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

linda 1 is an unknown quantity at this point

All change here, just couldent leave the old dog. Hubby got a quote from Emirates for her shipping for, wait for it, $2000 Flight straight into Glasgow, kennels pick her up from airport.
She will have to go into quarantine in Scotland, (Dumbarton kennels), at 6.50 a day.
Got her an import licence from Uk within a week. She has not had her rabies or chip or anything defra require, but will have it all done over there for a fraction of the cost.
Ok so she will be in kennels for 6 months, but we can visit after first 2 weeks, it will also give us time to get organised, sort the house, get jobs, secure the garden and be ready for her.
We still need to get her a crate.
So no you dont have to stay here for your dogs, there is another way.
We are just back from holiday, hubby is checking more today, so I will keep you updated.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:05 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Linda 1! I'm so happy for you that youll be able to take your dog. 6 months is a long time but it will pass and your doggie will be so happy to see you. They say that they dont forget their people and miss them when theyre gone. what a happy reunion when the 6 months is up.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 4:30 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

HI Linda
Fantastic news re the dog. They say dogs have no sense of time so before you know it she will be running about crazy in Scotland.

Thats a fantastic deal $2k. If you dont mind might have to pick your brains nearer our time.

we are half way through the pet passport so whilst we are waiting to move home it will allow us to get some money together.

Are you getting excited at going home?

So pleased for you.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

SaltySeaDog is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Taking dog back to Uk from NZ

Hi Linda 1,

I was just flicking thru any messages regarding dogs & found your dilemma re your Golden Retriever(?). I am really happy you are taking her with you - I probably would have had to stay if I couldn't take my dog!!!!
I know the 6 months kennels is a long time but I am sure she will be OK and you won't be forgotten - especially as you can visit. I saw on my local news back here in the UK that a dog disappeared 7 years ago from a walk with his owner - someone has just found him & is now back with the original owner! He looked like he had never been away!!
Best Wishes
Old Sep 30th 2004, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone. Taking Bria to vet this morning to get a letter to say that she is fit for the journey. Emirates is charging just under $2000, plus $176 for a nights stopover in Dubai. This is the best we have seen.
Old Oct 10th 2004, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Just to let you all know, Bria, our golden retriever, arrived in Glasgow fit and well on Friday, and is now in the kennels at Dumbarton.
She left Auckland, went to Sydney, then a stopover in Singapore, 1 night in Dubai, and straight to Glasgow.
We are very happy with Emirates Air, the kennel staff in Dumbarton gave a glowing report on Bria's arrival, saying she was a happy, smiley, tail wagging, perfectly contented dog when they picked her up.
In total the cost was about $3000, this included vet checks, and $400 for her crate.
Old Oct 10th 2004, 7:18 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by linda 1
Just to let you all know, Bria, our golden retriever, arrived in Glasgow fit and well on Friday, and is now in the kennels at Dumbarton.
She left Auckland, went to Sydney, then a stopover in Singapore, 1 night in Dubai, and straight to Glasgow.
We are very happy with Emirates Air, the kennel staff in Dumbarton gave a glowing report on Bria's arrival, saying she was a happy, smiley, tail wagging, perfectly contented dog when they picked her up.
In total the cost was about $3000, this included vet checks, and $400 for her crate.

Linda, I am so happy to hear that Bria made her trip safely. I know you must be so releived! That is so many stops for the poor dog and Im glad she did alright. It's expensive but oh when you get her back from kennels and she and you are so happy, that makes it all worthwile.
Old Oct 10th 2004, 7:28 pm
Looking for a chin-wag

Hi linda1 May i join in and offer best wishes to you on your (and Bria's) safe arrival! Something is puzzling me - forgive me if i've missed the answer to this - but i've been told that qantas is only authorised carrier for pets? is it because Bria has to quarantine there?
Old Oct 10th 2004, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Jim, we got a import licence from Scotland within 1 week of applying, once dog has this, you just book their flight with who you want. Quantas being the only ones to fly your dog with, is obviously a myth. Emirates fly amimals all the time, they are very efficient.
My husband was the one who organised Brias travel, I can get you more information from him.
Old Oct 10th 2004, 8:28 pm
Looking for a chin-wag

Hi Jim, we got a import licence from Scotland within 1 week of applying, once dog has this, you just book their flight with who you want. Quantas being the only ones to fly your dog with, is obviously a myth. Emirates fly amimals all the time, they are very efficient.
My husband was the one who organised Brias travel, I can get you more information from him.
That's very interesting, Linda, and thanks - i still haven't found any feedback re qantas, so your experience with emirates is encouraging. So did you organise the whole thing yourselves, without using a professional?
Old Oct 10th 2004, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Hi again Jim, yes we just made a couple of phone calls ourselves, got the import licence, and booked her kennels, and that was that, off she went.
We were told that we would have to keep her here for 6 months, have her rabies, and everything else, but that is just not the case.
It was very straight forward and easy. if you need phone numbers ect. in UK I would be happy to help.
Old Oct 10th 2004, 9:09 pm
Looking for a chin-wag

if you need phone numbers ect. in UK I would be happy to help.
That's really kind of you, Linda - if you have a no. for a real person to talk to in UK that would be good (pls don't go to any trouble; only if you have one).
That 6 months quarantine is the diffrence here; when i investigated i came up with silly figures (like 500/wk) and 'only authorised kennels' ... decided that to do the time here was preferable (time is up now, anyway). But from what you say, now i don't know.
Incidentally, just wondering if Bria is a kiwi dog? or did she migrate?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.