Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Taking cats from US to UK Question

Taking cats from US to UK Question

Old Nov 26th 2007, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to behold
Question Taking cats from US to UK Question

I looked back about 20 pages to find a similar thread, but couldn't, so I'm hoping this question hasn't been covered ad nauseum. Is it true, or is it wishful thinking on my part, that when taking cats from the US to the UK, we can actually have them physically with us on the plane, rather than them having to travel in the cargo hold? We aren't moving for another 2 1/2 years, but I do worry about this. I have done some research on it, but have come up with nothing so far (don't know where I got my original info - hopefully not in a dream!)
Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 5:51 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taking cats from US to UK Question

Originally Posted by ElaineQ
I looked back about 20 pages to find a similar thread, but couldn't, so I'm hoping this question hasn't been covered ad nauseum. Is it true, or is it wishful thinking on my part, that when taking cats from the US to the UK, we can actually have them physically with us on the plane, rather than them having to travel in the cargo hold? We aren't moving for another 2 1/2 years, but I do worry about this. I have done some research on it, but have come up with nothing so far (don't know where I got my original info - hopefully not in a dream!)
Thanks in advance.

hi elaine, who know what the rules and regs will be in 2+ yrs time but at present you cannot take pets into the uk (except guide dogs) inside the cabin....they must be in the hold......http://www.defra.gov.uk/

we are taking our two cats back next yr and are booked on the QM2 so as to avoid this....only £300 each cat although our fares are a tad more expensive. we brought our two over 6 yrs ago and now they are getting too old to be hurled about by the cargo handlers.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hi elaine, who know what the rules and regs will be in 2+ yrs time but at present you cannot take pets into the uk (except guide dogs) inside the cabin....they must be in the hold......http://www.defra.gov.uk/

we are taking our two cats back next yr and are booked on the QM2 so as to avoid this....only £300 each cat although our fares are a tad more expensive. we brought our two over 6 yrs ago and now they are getting too old to be hurled about by the cargo handlers.

Thanks SO much for that!! Maybe that's the way to go, via sea. OH is a merchant seaman (he'll be retired by then) so maybe he would like to do that! Thanks
Old Nov 26th 2007, 6:11 pm
Account Closed

Thanks SO much for that!! Maybe that's the way to go, via sea. OH is a merchant seaman (he'll be retired by then) so maybe he would like to do that! Thanks
yep, just call cunard and they'll give you all the info. best to reserve the kennels early as they get so booked up and they don't have many on the ship to begin with. let me know how you get on
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:22 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

yep, just call cunard and they'll give you all the info. best to reserve the kennels early as they get so booked up and they don't have many on the ship to begin with. let me know how you get on
I'm so jealous! I'd considered traveling via the QM2, but my apartment lease expires at the end of Feb, and the thought of staying here until their earliest voyage (April), not to mention the cost of a hotel room for a month, is too much to bear.

Would've been a classy and lovely return trip, though.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

I looked up Cunard on line, and it's definitely a possibility to consider. We would have to get to New York from Texas, though, and from Southampton up to Lancashire, so it will be a heck of a long way round and maybe just as stressful for the cats. One thing I didn't ask (or research...) Can the animals be sedated before travelling? I know the sedation wouldn't last for the flight duration, though... I am wondering if actually flying through New York, straight to Manchester might be a better option - shorter flight, though obviously there is the journey to from Texas to NY to consider...I am going to check to see if domestic US flights allow animals in the cabin. Now I'm thinking aloud! Thanks once again for the info.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:05 pm
Account Closed

I looked up Cunard on line, and it's definitely a possibility to consider. We would have to get to New York from Texas, though, and from Southampton up to Lancashire, so it will be a heck of a long way round and maybe just as stressful for the cats. One thing I didn't ask (or research...) Can the animals be sedated before travelling? I know the sedation wouldn't last for the flight duration, though... I am wondering if actually flying through New York, straight to Manchester might be a better option - shorter flight, though obviously there is the journey to from Texas to NY to consider...I am going to check to see if domestic US flights allow animals in the cabin. Now I'm thinking aloud! Thanks once again for the info.
cats cannot be sedated although some peeps use Feliway however i have not. didn't know you were in tx as well! yes, we will fly from tx and the cats can be with us inside the cabin travelling with Continental.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

cats cannot be sedated although some peeps use Feliway however i have not. didn't know you were in tx as well! yes, we will fly from tx and the cats can be with us inside the cabin travelling with Continental.

I am in Beaumont (Boremont!). We actually have three cats but my husband insists we leave 'his' cat with his step Dad, which will be upsetting, but he is such a gentle, sensitive thing, I think it would be cruel to take him with us - not convinced he'd survive the journey I am now thinking seriously/looking into possibilty of daughter and I sailing on the QM2 with the other two.
Can I ask which shipping company you used to transport your belongings? Another nightmare that OH won't have anything to do with!

Last edited by ElaineQ; Nov 27th 2007 at 12:04 pm. Reason: typo
Old Nov 27th 2007, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

I am in Beaumont (Boremont!). We actually have three cats but my husband insists we leave 'his' cat with his step Dad, which will be upsetting, but he is such a gentle, sensitive thing, I think it would be cruel to take him with us - not convinced he'd survive the journey I am now thinking seriously/looking into possibilty of daughter and I sailing on the QM2 with the other two.
Can I ask which shipping company you used to transport your belongings? Another nightmare that OH won't have anything to do with!
i'm still here and not shipped anything over as yet. not sure who we'll use yet but wont take that much back, furniture too big anyway for uk houses lol!

i just received an email from Cunard funnily enough telling me that as from Feb 1 2008 their surcharge has increased slightly.
you can book with Cunard, pay your deposit (cats fee not taken until nearer the time of departure) and if you cancel before a certain date you will get a full refund. i know a few peeps that have travelled transatlantic with Cunard with and without pets and they have been a good company to deal with by all accounts.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

calle 1 is just really nicecalle 1 is just really nicecalle 1 is just really nicecalle 1 is just really nicecalle 1 is just really nicecalle 1 is just really nicecalle 1 is just really nicecalle 1 is just really nicecalle 1 is just really nicecalle 1 is just really nicecalle 1 is just really nice

I took mine on the QM2 and would recommend it to anyone. As far as flying, if you must, I know when I looked into it, there was a way around it. Air France ,at the time, would let small pets fly in the cabin in containers to France, then you could ferry them across to the UK. Its a long way around but an option..if they still do that.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by calle 1
I took mine on the QM2 and would recommend it to anyone. As far as flying, if you must, I know when I looked into it, there was a way around it. Air France ,at the time, would let small pets fly in the cabin in containers to France, then you could ferry them across to the UK. Its a long way around but an option..if they still do that.

Many thanks to you and TruBrit. I like the option of daughter and I sailing on the QM2. I know I am planning far in advance (2 1/2 yrs!!) but it helps with the worry and the homesickness. I have also been reading the posts about people's experience shipping belongings and have been spending part of the moment wandering around the house thinking, "what, in this room, do we need, what is important, what can be donated to charity?" Looks like we may be travelling almost empty handed, except for the cats and a few personal effects