Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Taking the cat back to the UK from Canada

Taking the cat back to the UK from Canada

Old Apr 12th 2011, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

marietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nice
Default Taking the cat back to the UK from Canada

Has anyone recently moved pets back to the UK from Canada?
We brought our cat with us last year from the UK, she is microchipped, had rabies vaccination ( expires 2013) and has a pet passport & travel kennel.
So far we have had quotes from Animaltravel: £1,500!! & Ladyhaye: £795.

It cost £360 to bring her here ( Thomas Cook ) that included her flight and an agent booking her on the flight, so seems to be very expensive to take her back?

Can anyone recommend a company they have used?
We will be travelling from Calgary to Manchester.

Thank you
Old Apr 13th 2011, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Guinness is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taking the cat back to the UK from Canada

Originally Posted by marietuluse
We brought our cat with us last year from the UK, she is microchipped, had rabies vaccination ( expires 2013) and has a pet passport & travel kennel.

It cost £360 to bring her here ( Thomas Cook ) that included her flight and an agent booking her on the flight, so seems to be very expensive to take her back?

Thank you
we are also shipping all our pets from Canada to the UK in Oct. We are planning on using Ladyhaye. The cost is around $4,700, you should probably also look into what shots etc the cat might need. As your cat has a pet passport you might be ok. As we have to wait 6 months before entering the UK. Not srue if anyone else has any into on this
Old Apr 13th 2011, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

marietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nice

Originally Posted by Guinness
we are also shipping all our pets from Canada to the UK in Oct. We are planning on using Ladyhaye. The cost is around $4,700, you should probably also look into what shots etc the cat might need. As your cat has a pet passport you might be ok. As we have to wait 6 months before entering the UK. Not srue if anyone else has any into on this
Have had an email from DEFRA this morning, the only thing she needs to re-enter the UK is tick & tapeworm treatment 24-48 hours before the flight and a fit to fly certificate, she has all her other paperwork and rabies vaccine doesn't expire till 2013.
Ladyhaye seem to be the cheapest so far, waiting for a quote from Boomerang.
She would not have been able to re-enter the UK until six months had passed from her rabies injection, but it will have been 14 months by the time we go back so that's all fine
Old Apr 14th 2011, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

Guinness is an unknown quantity at this point

Have had an email from DEFRA this morning, the only thing she needs to re-enter the UK is tick & tapeworm treatment 24-48 hours before the flight and a fit to fly certificate, she has all her other paperwork and rabies vaccine doesn't expire till 2013.
She would not have been able to re-enter the UK until six months had passed from her rabies injection, but it will have been 14 months by the time we go back so that's all fine
That is good news from DEFRA, I spent months looking for a pet carrier, but Ladyhaye was my choice mainly because they fly into Manchester and we can all be on the same flight. i found huge price differances between companies. I got quotes from World Wide pet, Animal Airways and one other company sorry can't remember their name.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

zednought will become famous soon enough

I recently (in January) flew two cats back to the UK from Canada. I used Ladyhaye. I would certainly recommend them, they know the rules inside out. From recollection the cost was around £600, but about £250 of that went to Defra for their processing at the animal reception centre (there's no avoiding this).

Just to be precise. If your cat has a pet passport there should be no issue. However, the six month exclusion period starts when blood is drawn for the titre test (which needs to be positive) and NOT from when the rabies injection is given.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by zednought
I recently (in January) flew two cats back to the UK from Canada. I used Ladyhaye. I would certainly recommend them, they know the rules inside out. From recollection the cost was around £600, but about £250 of that went to Defra for their processing at the animal reception centre (there's no avoiding this).

Just to be precise. If your cat has a pet passport there should be no issue. However, the six month exclusion period starts when blood is drawn for the titre test (which needs to be positive) and NOT from when the rabies injection is given.
Thank you. Was that £600 each cat or for the two? who did you fly them back with?
Yes titre test was done and all ok before we left UK last year and all relevant stamps and signatures to verify this are all in the passport.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you. Was that £600 each cat or for the two? who did you fly them back with?
Yes titre test was done and all ok before we left UK last year and all relevant stamps and signatures to verify this are all in the passport.
I've just checked the actual bill. It was £585 for them both. They flew Thomas Cook in a shared crate (this was marginally cheaper). Oh and I supplied the crate as well which reduced the bill a little bit further.

Thomas Cook seem to have a good reputation vis-a-vis animal wellfare. As you're flying Calgary-to-Manchester your only choice is to use Thomas Cook anyway -- so all should be well.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Just stumbled across the bill whilst looking for something else. The actual processing fee applied at Gatwick airport was £380. My assumption is that this is Defra's cut for the disembarkation and administration.

Nice little earner that.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

How much does Lady Haye charge for one cat? Does this include everything - flight, DEFRA etc?

PS - Sorry I see someone quote £585 for two above. I am assuming that is the airfare. So there is a DEFRA cost of around £300 (for two cats) that we have to pay to DEFRA on arrival in the UK. Is that right? Does this mean we get all their shots and DEFRA "pet passport" stuff, pay the airlines to fly them over, and then pay DEFRA when we arrive and pick them up in the UK. Is this how it works?

Last edited by windsong; Apr 27th 2011 at 9:34 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by windsong
How much does Lady Haye charge for one cat? Does this include everything - flight, DEFRA etc?

PS - Sorry I see someone quote £585 for two above. I am assuming that is the airfare. So there is a DEFRA cost of around £300 (for two cats) that we have to pay to DEFRA on arrival in the UK. Is that right? Does this mean we get all their shots and DEFRA "pet passport" stuff, pay the airlines to fly them over, and then pay DEFRA when we arrive and pick them up in the UK. Is this how it works?
Yeah, you're right the £585 was just the airfare (for two cats). The £380 was an additional charge for "airport clearance". I'd assume this charge would be £190 for one cat. If you're collecting your cat from the animal reception centre yourself I guess you'd pay this directly at the airport.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Thank you
Here are the rules. Be careful to observe the timing of the tick and tapeworm treatment before departure as this is critical (between 24 and 48 hours before pet check in). Also, a specific type of vaccine must be used for this treatment (active ingredient must be praziquantel), make sure your vet understands this. In Canada at least, this is not always the case as some vaccines do not contain this ingredient. All of the Pfizer products do and you can phone their help line in Toronto if in doubt.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/

For tick and treatment, see:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet...ers/parasites/

For Pfizer, see Animal Health Product contacts:

http://pah.pfizer.ca/animalhealth/ab...er/contact_us/

Last edited by johnh009; Apr 28th 2011 at 11:00 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zednought
Yeah, you're right the £585 was just the airfare (for two cats). The £380 was an additional charge for "airport clearance". I'd assume this charge would be £190 for one cat. If you're collecting your cat from the animal reception centre yourself I guess you'd pay this directly at the airport.
Okay, so roughly $1,000 for two cats plus all the shots, tests and DEFRA prior to that. That's fine. I just had to have an estimate so I can plan the budget for the move.

Actually, that's not bad at all . . . considering.

Thank you
Old Apr 29th 2011, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by johnh009
Here are the rules. Be careful to observe the timing of the tick and tapeworm treatment before departure as this is critical (between 24 and 48 hours before pet check in). Also, a specific type of vaccine must be used for this treatment (active ingredient must be praziquantel), make sure your vet understands this. In Canada at least, this is not always the case as some vaccines do not contain this ingredient. All of the Pfizer products do and you can phone their help line in Toronto if in doubt.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/

For tick and treatment, see:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet...ers/parasites/

For Pfizer, see Animal Health Product contacts:

http://pah.pfizer.ca/animalhealth/ab...er/contact_us/
Thank you for that....that's very helpful
Old May 24th 2011, 12:13 am
Newish Member

Welshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really nice

Hiya!

I'm in Calgary too and am preparing to ship my cat back. I've been using Boomerang, they're local here in Calgary! Email them and ask for Karen, she's been wonderfully helpful.

http://www.boomerangpetcarrier.com/

Best regards,
Michael (& Onyx )
Old May 25th 2011, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

I have recently read that Air transat is now on the approved list by DEFRA. But you have to call them for a quote it cannot be done online.

My little Ruckus is coming over in October. Still working on all my stuff for him tho.

Good Luck

reeni