Reload this Page >

Taking cash into the UK on retirement

Taking cash into the UK on retirement

Old Jan 12th 2018, 12:03 am
Just Joined

jimmyjazz2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taking cash into the UK on retirement

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Both myself and my son bought a house with cash last year. All you have to do is provide documentation of where the money came from.

By cash I mean a bank transfer not a briefcase full of money and I assumed the OP was not talking about actual paper money.
Hi
Did you report the money on a tax form in anyway ?
if so on what form ?
or did you just wait until asked for documentation as to the origin of the funds at a latter date ?

Thanks Jimmyjazz2
Old Jan 12th 2018, 7:07 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmyjazz2
Hi
if so on what form ?
or did you just wait until asked for documentation as to the origin of the funds at a latter date ?

Thanks Jimmyjazz2
Just jumping in here in case it helps, I'm sure durham lad will reply also.

In the two years I've been living in the UK on a spouse visa, my husband and I have moved the majority of our funds here from Australia. We've used those funds to purchase our own home and three buy-to-let properties. We use a FX broker for transfers, and declare the source of the funds at that time.

Regarding the property purchases, on each occasion we've only had to provide our solicitor with a written declaration of the source of our funds, which were proceeds from the sale of our property in Australia and savings from our salaries. No further documentation/evidence was required. Under money laundering regulations, solicitors must be confident of the legality of the source of funds - I don't know if different solicitors use different ways to do that.

We didn't have to report the funds in any way to HMRC when they were transferred into our UK bank accounts. Any interest/dividends etc that the funds have generated while we're UK tax residents need to be reported to HMRC on our annual tax returns, as these funds form part of our taxable income.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Jan 12th 2018 at 7:15 am.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 7:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Just jumping in here in case it helps, I'm sure durham lad will reply also.

In the two years I've been living in the UK on a spouse visa, my husband and I have moved the majority of our funds here from Australia. We've used those funds to purchase our own home and three buy-to-let properties. We use a FX broker for transfers, and declare the source of the funds at that time.

Regarding the property purchases, on each occasion we've only had to provide our solicitor with a written declaration of the source of our funds, which were proceeds from the sale of our property in Australia and savings from our salaries. No further documentation/evidence was required.

We didn't have to report the funds in any way to HMRC when they were transferred into our UK bank accounts. Any interest/dividends etc that the funds have generated while we're UK tax residents need to be reported to HMRC on our annual tax returns, as these funds form part of our taxable income.
Hi
Thanks for that.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 7:18 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thanks for that.
Pleased to be able to help
Old Jan 12th 2018, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
if so on what form ?

Thanks Jimmyjazz2
No HMRC tax forms needed. When we came to buy our house we had to show our solicitor bank and brokerage statements to prove where the money had come from (from the sale of our house in the USA long before we moved to England).

For the actual money appearing in our UK bank I provided the relevant statements from our brokerage and HSBC USA account showing the money coming in and being transferred to our HSBC UK account.

Last edited by durham_lad; Jan 12th 2018 at 10:36 am.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by durham_lad
No HMRC tax forms needed. When we came to buy our house we had to show our solicitor bank and brokerage statements to prove where the money had come from (from the sale of our house in the USA long before we moved to England).

For the actual money appearing in our UK bank I provided the relevant statements from our brokerage and HSBC USA account showing the money coming in and being transferred to our HSBC UK account.
Hi
Thank you for the reply.
that's great
Old Jan 12th 2018, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto for me; when we bought our house, we transferred US$ to the UK solicitor's escrow account. We provided a copy of the settlement statement from the sale of our house.

We've been lazy and just used bank-to-bank transfers since. As the funds were coming from a major US bank, our bank here has never asked for any proof of origin. But we have had our UK account since the early 90s - just kept it during our 11 years in the US.

No reporting to HMRC whatsoever; it's not income.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Hi Vadio
Thank you for that.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

I was self-employed during most of out time in the US. All my income was deposited into a business account, and could be easily matched to the income from the Schedule C attachment to our 1040. Similarly, deposits to the personal account were paychecks from my husband's job, and were backed up by his payslips. No one was interested in that level of detail on this side of the pond. I guess we didn't look sufficiently rich to be doing any super duper money laundering.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

yes, i got all, payslips, bank statements, passport visa stamps,
should be fine if asked.