Wikiposts

Take it or leave it

Old Mar 15th 2011, 1:09 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Take it or leave it

Originally Posted by bandrui
.....I have a lot of treaures... a large collection of non-fiction books that I have not had time to read. I shall seriously cull them but take lots. .

Shipping is soooo expensive (even when mailing the books via M-Bag, which is what you should do; check past posts) that our rule of thumb was that if they were easily replaceable (i.e., could be purchased in the UK - checked via Amazon.co.uk) we didn't bring them. I made a list of the ones I wanted to re-purchase (over time) once we arrived back here. But for the most part, we were ready for some new books. The ones we ended up sending over were the more unique, one-off, or first editions.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 1:56 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Shipping is soooo expensive (even when mailing the books via M-Bag, which is what you should do; check past posts) that our rule of thumb was that if they were easily replaceable (i.e., could be purchased in the UK - checked via Amazon.co.uk) we didn't bring them. I made a list of the ones I wanted to re-purchase (over time) once we arrived back here. But for the most part, we were ready for some new books. The ones we ended up sending over were the more unique, one-off, or first editions.

I find books here in the charity shops incredible bargains!!! Between 1 to 3 pounds is a steal. In Australia you wouldn't touch a book in a charity shop with a barge pole, here you can get the popular authors books in almost new condition.

OK this is obviously not for first editions, etc.

But I knew if and when I decide to take up my Family History hobby again, I will be able to buy books from here at a fraction of what the shipping costs would have been.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Pauljarv is an unknown quantity at this point

Now, I'm a leave it sort of person while my wife is definitely a take it person and after moving stuff stored in one basement to another basement for 6 years in the US we've now got a garage full of stuff stored in the UK. We'll probably never use/see it until we move again.

I will warn you that a) storage in UK houses is at a premium, we don't have basements like Northern America and b) it's likely that you may be renting and possibly for 6months/a year while you find a place to live. This means you'll be moving again 6month/a year later!

I'd say be ruthless with clothes and furniture due to storage issues and your new place may, temporarily be smaller than where you live now. We sold tools and other electrical stuff and I focussed on pictures and sentimental stuff.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 2:04 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pauljarv

I will warn you that a) storage in UK houses is at a premium, we don't have basements like Northern America
This is one reason I like older houses - my parents' old cottage used to have a massive cellar that ran the length of the house. So much better than climbing up ladders into the loft.

We're being quite ruthless - even my husband the hoarder is finally letting things go. Mainly because I think we'd like a complete fresh start when we get home. I think it'll be fun!
Old Mar 15th 2011, 10:00 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Sally, that fresh start/new start feeling has been a real energizer for us individually, our marriage (not that it needed it but it's been a bonus), and our relationship.

It's also a great excuse for more retail therapy.

Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I To tell you the truth I am really looking forward to getting rid of ALOT of stuff and simplifying my life. But first I have to decide what I am going to keep. There are 3 Queen size beds in my house and I have already sold one and a couch from downstairs. I used to have a condo in Vancouver and then moved to this large 3BR house with a suite and large 2-room studio downstairs. You know how stuff seems to fill up available space!
You might find people on this site that are emigrating out to near where you live and might need some of your stuff as they set up in their new Canadian home.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
M-bag is a USPS service so doesn't apply in Canada and I think it would cost a lot more to replace the books than to ship them. Also, I am thinking of getting 1/2 a container as opposed to shipping individual things. Most of my books are part of a non-fiction reference library so are books I use often.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
You might find people on this site that are emigrating out to near where you live and might need some of your stuff as they set up in their new Canadian home.

It's a good idea for those living in major centres but I live on an island of 10,000 people. It is highly unlikely that someone will be coming here. I am aiming to start early so that I can go through a process... try and sell locally through our list, garage sales, Craigslist Victoria and then friends, Thrift Shop, etc. I shall keep track of the money and have fun at the other end replacing my tons of stuff with a few good things.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Beautiful Garden Route of South Africa, hoping to return to equally beautiful Kent soon!
MagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really nice

It will still be a while before we move, but I've decided to check the Argos website for every single item (obviously not for books and personal items) that we want to take. If it's cheap to replace it will stay behind. I've moved twice with a 20ft container and took everything from the microwave to the piano. This time the piano is MOST DEFINITELY the first thing that I'll leave behind, no matter how many sentimetal feelings I have towards it. Moving it from one house to another in England cost us 100pounds! This time we're also leaving behind all our furniture, maybe only our mattress, because it's new and brilliant and expensive to replace.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 12:39 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I shall keep track of the money and have fun at the other end replacing my tons of stuff with a few good things.
I think this will be fun too - like starting out all over again, only this time I won't have a massive student overdraft
Old Mar 16th 2011, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

M-bag is a USPS service so doesn't apply in Canada and I think it would cost a lot more to replace the books than to ship them. Also, I am thinking of getting 1/2 a container as opposed to shipping individual things. Most of my books are part of a non-fiction reference library so are books I use often.
My books are similar - and many connected with my career - massage therapist/holistic healer - that I need. I have packed them all up and they are coming with me. That is actually the bulk of my shipment !!
Old Mar 16th 2011, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MagsB
It will still be a while before we move, but I've decided to check the Argos website for every single item (obviously not for books and personal items) that we want to take. If it's cheap to replace it will stay behind. I've moved twice with a 20ft container and took everything from the microwave to the piano. This time the piano is MOST DEFINITELY the first thing that I'll leave behind, no matter how many sentimetal feelings I have towards it. Moving it from one house to another in England cost us 100pounds! This time we're also leaving behind all our furniture, maybe only our mattress, because it's new and brilliant and expensive to replace.
The only item of furniture I'm taking is my cast iron Queen sized bed frame as it was a gift to myself one year when I got a good bonus and I love it. It can be dismantled so doesn't take up a huge amount of room. I know the mattress sizes in the UK are different but I believe US Queen is very close to UK King - a 2 inch difference in length - so a mattress from the UK will fit into it!!
Old Mar 18th 2011, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I find books here in the charity shops incredible bargains!!! Between 1 to 3 pounds is a steal. In Australia you wouldn't touch a book in a charity shop with a barge pole, here you can get the popular authors books in almost new condition.

OK this is obviously not for first editions, etc.

But I knew if and when I decide to take up my Family History hobby again, I will be able to buy books from here at a fraction of what the shipping costs would have been.
That's good news Beedubya and was my experience too while in the UK on my last trip. There were SO many books in used book stores, thrift shops, etc. that I wanted but had to be careful. I did bring books back from that trip though. Now they are going in the other direction .
Old Mar 18th 2011, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MagsB
Same, Mags. I shall definitely sell my piano and hopefully find one at the other end for a good price.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorac05
My books are similar - and many connected with my career - massage therapist/holistic healer - that I need. I have packed them all up and they are coming with me. That is actually the bulk of my shipment !!
My books are herbal medicine, aromatherapy, astrology, Celtic spirituality and Textile arts. Perhaps we have something in common . I keep meaning to ask about your avatar - my place here is called the Labyrinth and I have that symbol on my house sign.

Lucky you - leaving on th 26th! Have a great journey and re-integration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.